It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pet healthcare Vs. Human Healthcare

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Just got my oldest dog back from the vet.
Bilateral ear infections(really bad too), and a form of bacterial bronchitis.

$50 Dollar initial visit, knocked down to $38 because the vet was busy and had to have the techs do the ear flush.
$26 Dollar ear flush
$24 Dollar 500mg amoxicillian 20 count pills.
$51.78 for mometamax (antibiotic ear drops),

Contrast that with humans without health insurance.
The cheapest urgent care I found when I had an ear infection was $99 procedures not included.
The last time I had a similar dose of amoxicillian I had insurance and copay was $5, but they listed the price without Rx coverage on the receipt as $50.
I don't know about mometamax but I'm guessing the price for that would be higher.
For the ear flush, I know Kaiser will do that for a $20-$30 dollar copay(asked someone who works at a Kaiser).
Copay means that part of it is being covered by the insurance to begin with, so it must cost more.

I remember as a kid Vets cost more, but the price was dropping slowly.
Now it seems rock bottom compared to health insurance or even treatments without health insurance.

The only thing I can think of for the Vet being cheaper is the free market is allowed to work.
If people don't like the price or service they shop elsewhere.
You can't do that with health insurance or non insurance care as all the prices are pretty much the same.

You can't even buy cheaper insurance across state lines because of commerce regulations.

The only thing I can think of is to let the free market adjust the price of of our health costs, but there seem to be so many regulations in the way of that.

My prices and experience may vary, as I am only going on what I have personally seen with and without insurance.
It could be that there is a cheaper way to get health care, but not from what I have seen.

If this is the wrong board sorry.
I've never started a health related thread and it's semi political.
Don't really know what category it goes under.
I try and stick to the paranormal and grey area boards mostly.
edit on 26-4-2012 by Pigraphia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I remember about 20 years ago, my dog had a heart problem, and the medication he was prescribed was also for humans. I had been wishing I named him a more "human" name, I might have been able to get his medication covered on my medical
Instead I had to pay $75 a month for his pills. I did try, but the pharmacist caught on

Normally we don't have prescription coverage, unless we get blue cross ( extra coverage) or are covered by an employers plan.

If I had to pay every time for going to the doctor, I don't think I would have gone in for regular check ups. Also, when someone is ill, and they have to go to the doctor, they're usually missing work too, so if you also have to pay money that you're not making because of being sick.......

It's sad when a country doesn't take care of its people's health. One would think that healthier people, make for a healthier nation.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
You've come to a good conclusion which about sums it all up. Veterinary care, until taken over by insurance as Human Health care has, will be cheaper. When you're companion animal has a checkup or procedure, what you're paying for on your bill is the mainly the costs of the supplies of the procedure. Veterinarians/ clinics make profit by selling prescription food and others times what is for sale in the lobby. Can't vouch for all clinics but some are more costly, so not saying Vets do not charge extra for procedures.
Around 80 percent plus of ailments in companion animals stems from poor nutrition. In people we are treated by more and more pharmaceuticals instead of treating the cause. That is how doctors profit plus off the cost of the procedure. Animals are treated from the source cause of the ailment.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I don't think it's the job of the nation to take care of our heath.

I do think the nation should get out of the way of our health.

There are so many rules and regulations, not to mention malpractice insurance.
We can't buy health insurance from other states.

The system is too convoluted.

I want to be treated for xyz, I should be able to look up in a phone book or online which doctors treat xyz and how much they cost.
If I find stats that says doctor A has a better recovery than Doctor B I might be willing to pay more.

The free market should still apply though, it's all the barriers to the free market that prevent prices from being more reasonable.

Do we need malpractice insurance possibly, but a better solution would be tort reform.
If someone is just looking to cash in on a single slipped stitch and they lose the case they pay the doctors legal fees.
The system is so messed up that I had multiple lawyers tell me I have a malpractice case against two hospitals, but since I'm in California they were looking at a 5 year minimum case duration and it wasn't worth their time.
I had a case, but no lawyer would take it because the system is too convoluted, that just isn't right.

Sweep the books clean of all laws, and have all future laws expire in 10 years automatically.
If they are good laws they can be renewed.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Pigraphia

I want to be treated for xyz, I should be able to look up in a phone book or online which doctors treat xyz and how much they cost. If I find stats that says doctor A has a better recovery than Doctor B I might be willing to pay more.

Up here, if doctor A specializes in something better than doctor B, we just go to doctor A.
Often, doctor B even refers us to doctor A.

If whatever ails us doesn't have a doctor with time/equipment/or whatever, we get sent to another province for the treatment.
It's just nice not having to worry about paying for anything except prescriptions.
Our biggest problem up here is all the doctors are too busy. We have a doctor shortage.
At least it's free.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Beat Dr I saw, was in Houston TX. He does office visits for 30 bucks cash. With the shot of antibiotics he gave me, I spent 50 bucks and left with an rx.

I had a tooth infection so bad that it caused an ear infection. That was six yrs ago. I bet I never find another like him.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by showintail

You might in small towns.

BTW if the Rx was just for ear drops unless it actually says it has antibiotics it's scented white vinegar.

You can actually treat ear infections by filling the ear with white vinegar and putting a cotton ball in the ear.

Do that a few times a day.

I've had chronic ear infections my whole life and finally the doctor said if the jaw doesn't hurt don't waste your time coming to see me just use vinegar.

Once the jaw hurts though that's a different story.

new topics

top topics

join