Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Please Help Me!!

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Okay. I will lose my main internet next monday. I won't be able to log in to ATS anymore... or maybe I could.
My Windows computer comes with a built-in wireless network device. I have a PAT-WIFI option, with a signal.
Could that replace my internet?
I tried to access the PAT-WIFI network. I clicked connect, but then it would ask me for a password. The default password (security key) is WPA2-PSK, so that's what I typed. The password is not rejected as it would do if I wrote the wrong password. instead, it searches, than say: security key mismatch.
Then, what should I write as password? What can I do to access internet using PAT-WIFI? Is there another default password??
Please help me, I know not much about computers.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I think you have found someone, close to your locations, network. That person has their Network Password protected. You will need to know their password in order to sign into their network.

Found this information on PAT WIFI. It might help.

LINK
edit on 4/26/2012 by VeniVidi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

The WPA2-PSK refers to a code/number/sequence that is usually found on the underside of a modem, which is used as a password to connect. Find the modem and you find the password.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors wifi.

Use what little time you have remaining in the garden of the interwebbednet wisely if you endeavor to eat the fruits from the tree of knowledge.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Dont know much about wifi but assume your trying to log onto someone elses connection? thats how wifi works and hence the need for passwords and keys. Have you considered a usb dongle? thats what I use. They use the mobile phone network so you can use it anywhere. I use the 3 network, it works very well and only cost me £15. I charge it once a month with £10, that easily gives me a month of ats. If I want to watch movies I charge it with £15 that gives me 3 gigs.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Everyone else pretty much nailed it.Sounds like you're trying to log on to someone else's network.Won't work without the password.Better spending your time finding a cheap internet provider

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Absolutely no hacking into a WPA2-PSK...trust me

Unless they have an obvious password and you can guess it...Some lower forms of protection could be hacked, but you'd have to be pretty nifty and willing to wait through a long system.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
No, no, the PAT-WIFI is mine. I have two internet access, both are dial-up: a key, and a PAT-WIFI. Since I will lose my key, I need to know how to use my PAT-WIFI.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

Are you telling me the reason I have a signal is because someone in my street has a router?!

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by 8om8er

HMM. I thought it stood for WIFI PROTECTED ACCESS. Referring to the encryption used to protect a Network.

LINK

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

don't know if i can help, but here are some remarks:

WPA2-PSK actually isn't a password, it's an indication of the type of protection that is being used on the wireless router.
maybe you can try to find out who's wifi-device it is that you try to connect on (can you monitor signal strenght? i'm on a mac so i have no idea how wintendo does this, I know my mac allows this)

now most probably the password will contain either 5 or 13 characters. Most people are pretty stupid in the choice of password so if you have an idea where the wifi is, do they have a dog? what are their names? These things can be used to guess.
a more profound thing to do, but a trick that will give away that someone hacked, is to try to find out the type of wifi-device used. Say it's a DLink. Google for the default IP-number, use your browser to access the device (again, most people don't change the basic protection and what that is is all over the web, once you know the brand of the device). Once you're in, just turn off the password protection. Maybe they will not notice.

but also bear in mind that this is illegal and it is possible to find out who's behind it, unless you use IP-hiders (and I'm not sure you can use these to get into the device, never tested it)

probably some of the information i gave is not completely accurate, but at least it might give you some inspiration.
and - please excuse me for asking this - wouldn't it be easier to just get an account with an ISP yourself (or did i misunderstood your actual situation?)

or get a 3G modem in an USB-version. That's a pretty slow and expensive way to access the web, but at least you are within the law :-)

if this is rubbish to you, please neglect
success

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

I am assuming that you are using a laptop computer. If this is correct then it has built in wifi. It will show all broadcasting routers within a certain distance from you. Most people protect access to their router(or INTERNET) by installing a password.
edit on 4/26/2012 by VeniVidi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by swan001
reply to post by VeniVidi

Are you telling me the reason I have a signal is because someone in my street has a router?!

chances are high that this is the case
do you have a smartphone that is wifi-enabled? If so, use that one to try to figure out where that router is and do some social engineering to guess the password (see my previous reply)

but once again, please note that this is illegal. Not that I care for this kind of laws too much, just mentioning it so you know the risks of breaking in someone else's network. Probably they just put a password on it on installation, because the techie told them to do so but you never know: I'm running software that tells me who's trying to get access and I log these things. :-)

but then again, some call me paranoid. I don't. I just don't like people accessing my networks without me knowing.

once again, be warned, and good luck to you.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by NeverSleepingEyes

I see. So I get I signal because of someone else's router.
The rest of your information was very informative.
I think I'll pass the borrowing-the-ID-of-someone's-router option. I want internet access, but not to the point of, you know... doing that. Thanks anyway for all that info! I did not know that.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

If your friends with your neighbours you could always ask them if they would mind you using their wifi for a bit, I wouldn't object if it was one of my neighbours, as long as they didn't take advantage and download a lot

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

I would look into WPS and a program called Reaver on Linux

edit on 26-4-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Friend with the neighboor?
Well, I guess one could say that... after all, I only have ONE missile aiming at their house...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Thanks for the info. I won't use it on an unknown router, though.
But that thing could help me figure out what was my damn password for editing one of my sites... I forgot to write it so I have a useless site drifting around the Internet.
Thanks anyway!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Hey Swann,

Buy yourself a wi-fi receiver like this WiFi and plug it in. A wireless connection will let itself be known. Track down where the signal is coming from with this Find It and ask the owner what the password is. I pay my neighbor $20 a month (we made an arrangement and he turned out to be one very cool dude) for my internet and i have 3 computers hooked up all the time. It was beneficial to us both i assure you.
I know there are some misgivings but it may help you out in the short run.

top topics

join