It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Country Music prays on the Suicidal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Re: Atheism promotes Nihilism

Kinda late for me to jump in but I'll just point it out country music and suicide have a demonstrated link in studies.

www.jstor.org...

I don't want it to flare up again, but if God and Country are so important to a type of Genre then what Atheists listen to in order to get away from the suicidal nationalists who equate God and Country to mean the same thing might be Death Metal.

I'm more okay with Richard Dawkins singing Death Metal than I am the Pope singing Country. They doesn't have to go to Scandinavia to do it, naturally if I let that hang in the air you'll remember who burns down the most churches.

Equally important, Atheism doesn't make you a Nihilist, Nihilism isn't natural. Atheism is a concept that arises from a leap of faith just like any other, don't tell them they haven't made a large leap of faith you're only trying to drag them back to the middle.

If you're trying to drag Atheists into Nihilism I have a huge problem with that, but since I'm not a Solipsist I'll just tell the Atheists to go ahead, I believe in you. Solipsists and Satanists can be all the Brand Miscegnation I'll ever need to stay away from the religious people.

Truthfully it's the religious part of music that makes you want to die, but music tames that savage beast.

Christians if I have to smack you with a fish I'm going to instead bake a loaf of bread so big God himself can only choke on it.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
"Country Music prays on the Suicidal,"

Lots of big words, that sound like a huge run on sentence from someone with a speed addiction, but yet you don't know the difference between prey and pray in your title. Classic.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamconcerned
"Country Music prays on the Suicidal,"

Lots of big words, that sound like a huge run on sentence from someone with a speed addiction, but yet you don't know the difference between prey and pray in your title. Classic.

....I do know the difference that's why as an absurdist it's a joke to me but as something else I'll just remind you that you can walk into a grammatical trap it has no teeth.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Oh, so it's irony based upon your hatred of religion/Christians. Got it. I think I speak for most, that we don't really care.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Another huge generalization.

There may be a fair number of country songs about pain and loss, but there are also a number of country songs that are all about love. Just like popular music and rock. Here is but two examples:

and here's a very atypical country song here:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Sachyriel

I don't like country music really, not modern country anyway. Give me Merle Haggard or Johnny Cash and we'll talk. Not that Billy Ray Cyrus or country rap crap.

But I call bull on this study.

All music can influence someone who is seriously depressed or suicidal in a negative way. All it takes is certain notes/lyrics to move someone,or maybe the song holds some personal significance to them.

or

Hell anything by Dashboard Confessional could set some depressed teenager off. I know I had some very dark moments of depression and these songs were like a welcome poison.

Music is just like that it is very powerful.

ETA: I suggest this to anyone out there who is depressed. Saved one of my friends life.

edit on 26-4-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamconcerned
Oh, so it's irony based upon your hatred of religion/Christians. Got it. I think I speak for most, that we don't really care.

I didn't say I hated Christians, I said stop picking on the Atheists.
You're so quick to judge, go somewhere else without the comprehension.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Openeye

I don't like country music really, not modern country anyway. Give me Merle Haggard or Johnny Cash and we'll talk. Not that Billy Ray Cyrus or country rap crap.

But I call bull on this study.

All music can influence someone who is seriously depressed or suicidal in a negative way. All it takes is certain notes/lyrics to move someone,or maybe the song holds some personal significance to them.

Right, choose what you want to believe about science and then deny ignorance.

The study can be proven false, country music doesn't kill everyone. Can you prove it doesn't cause them to think that way? Probably not.

“My generation's apathy. I'm disgusted with it. I'm disgusted with my own apathy too, for being spineless and not always standing up against racism, sexism and all those other -isms the counterculture has been whinning about for years.”

Kurt Cobain said that.

Was he someone to look up to or just why Country isn't the best music?

I feel like the Kurt Cobain of my generation, but people just don't understand me.

Justin Bieber said it.

Erm, let's not be rude about why I don't like his music.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Right, choose what you want to believe about science and then deny ignorance.

The study can be proven false, country music doesn't kill everyone. Can you prove it doesn't cause them to think that way? Probably not.

If you just Google "musics effect on suicide" or just look at the studies the paper you linked to are cited in, you will realize that my conclusion is the one generally accepted by the majority of psychologists.

Music in general has a great impact on the psychology of an individual, especially if that individual is depressed or suicidal. All genres of music are capable of effecting someone with those conditions, country music has no more an effect on a neutral bodies mood than say emo which generally has much more negative lyrics and notes which conjure melancholy.

A better study would be to focus on the political, social, and economic situation of high suicide areas, rather than what music they are listening to.

This same study has been cited in studies that cast a negative light on metal, rap, and pop. So its not logical to separate one genre from the others, since...they all have the same effect.

It all has to do with the mental state of the listener, reality is subjective.

ETA: Link

In a sample of students, preference for country and western music was not associated with depression or suicidal preoccupation as has been suggested by Stack and Gundlach. However, preference for heavy metal music was associated with prior suicidal ideation. Stronger associations were found between music preferences and measures of psychoticism and extraversion.

This paper has PhD who disagrees with that paper so who is right? Psychology is much more complex and unpredictable a science than it is given credit for.

new topics

top topics

join