It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Passes Controversial Cybersecurity Bill CISPA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Well it has passed...Let's just hope the veto threat stands and the president actually kills this thing. It was pushed through one day ahead of schedule despite the fact it recieved enormous criticism.

TPM.com

The controversial national cybersecurity bill known as CISPA was passed by the House of Representatives on Thursday night, a full day ahead of when the vote was expected and despite the fact that it had received enormous criticism from Web user rights advocacy groups and the White House itself, which threatened to veto the bill a day earlier.

The cybersecurity bill, introduced by sponsors Rep. Mike Rogers (R-MI) and C.A. “Dutch” Ruppersberger (D-MD) in November 2011, is designed to allow intelligence agencies such as the NSA or the CIA to share information on national cybersecurity threats with private companies such as Facebook, and vice versa.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

To be honest I haven't read much into CISPA.
Do you know what this means for us?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
BOO, HISS!!!

If the Senate doesn't shoot this down, I sure hope there will be hell to pay in the polls come November.

Of course, even if they do they'll just rename it and try again over and over until it can be slipped under the radar.

House of Representatives - - - who are you representing?

Bah! Rhetorical question.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I guess the question is this:

Who can we trust?

The answer:

NO ONE!!

...Big Brother is watching you...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The White House already said they would veto the bill as as.

The Obama administration has threatened a veto of the House bill, preferring a Senate measure that would give the Homeland Security Department the primary role in overseeing domestic cybersecurity and the authority to set security standards. That Senate bill remains stalled.
SOURCEIt'll be interesting to see the next move of the Executive Branch on this. Do they stick by their threat and veto? Or do they go along and sign off? Didn't the President threaten to veto the NDAA as well? EDIT: With regards to GmoS719 Here is the bill text.H.R. 3523
edit on 26-4-2012 by GD21D because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Official line : Bill is so companies can provide information to Govt to prevent theft of their intellectual property:

Civil Rights interpretation:

The bill is basically to legalize the illegal surviellence that has been carried on since 9/11. The Government and the Millitary will be able to legally invade anyone's privacy and "share" information that private corporations want to give them, without any judicial oversight. You will not be able to sue the private corporations if the sharing of that information causes you huge problems, even if they made a big mistake..(which is why no google or wiki complaints against this bill) .Apparently we've sold software to other countries to help them monitor their citizens and put down dissent....

Here are some great Democracy Now news clips explaining the situation

CISPA Critics Warn Cybersecurity Bill Will Increase Domestic Surveillance and Violate Privacy Rights
www.democracynow.org...

Targeted Hacker Jacob Appelbaum on CISPA, Surveillance and the "Militarization of Cyberspace"
www.democracynow.org...

Whistleblower: The NSA is Lying–U.S. Government Has Copies of Most of Your Emails
www.democracynow.org...

edit on 26-4-2012 by AliceBlackman because: added some extra lines

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by GD21D

Yes so how much should we wager that this thing will be veto'd ....

Anyhow Trust in Me ... trust in me ...

edit on 26-4-2012 by AliceBlackman because: fix link

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBlackman

If history has said anything about this administration and most of it's predecessors for that matter, the threats to go against the grain are nothing but a media show for the people. When their feet are held to the fire they fall right in line like they're supposed to.Time will tell, it always does.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GD21D

Any idea how to look up who voted for this bill ?

I guess that's what everything is boiling down to ... anyone who realises what is happening is going to have to make the choice themselves too... or face the consequenses.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I sure hope it gets vetoed. Not that another bill won't take it's place... I don't really think we can trust Obama to veto, unless we the people speak loud enough against it to give him the impression that signing it would hurt his chances of re-election, but even then I have my doubts.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by AliceBlackman
reply to post by GD21D

Any idea how to look up who voted for this bill ?

I guess that's what everything is boiling down to ... anyone who realises what is happening is going to have to make the choice themselves too... or face the consequenses.

Yeah, here's what you're looking for.H.R. 3523

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Well, for starters, there are a whole 112(!) f#ing co-sponsors in Congress...

H.R. 3523 - Thomas.loc.gov

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by GD21D

You beat me to it. Touche

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
wonder what will happen in the Senate..any idea when they'll be voting ?

I wonder how many of our population read 1984 ?
at least our TV's look better....

edit on 26-4-2012 by AliceBlackman because: removed item ..as info posted

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by GD21D

Thanks for the link on how they voted...

Wow huge Republican support for this bill...206 of them, 42 Democrats aye's as well

Ron Paul didn't vote ...

GA ---Huge support (only 2 reps voted no (D))

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Thanks for your efforts in digging up additional numbers and information on this. Obama said he'd veto, but my guess is thats a BS threat to force the Senate and House to make changes the White House wants. When they get their gravy poured on top, he'll sign with a smile and a flourish. I'll bet he doesn't even robo-sign this one. Grrrrr....

All that work against PIPA and SOPA...why did we even bother? We should have known...they'd just run it at us again and again and again. However many times it takes... Corruption never sleeps.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jlm912

I sure hope it gets vetoed. Not that another bill won't take it's place... I don't really think we can trust Obama to veto, unless we the people speak loud enough against it to give him the impression that signing it would hurt his chances of re-election, but even then I have my doubts.

I can only quote myself from an earlier thread on this:

Let me remind those who missed it that he was dead-set against signing the NDAA also. His last word on the matter was that he would not sign it. Until he did--under cover of secrecy, while everyone else was busy not paying attention on a New Year's Eve night!

I suspect there were "signing statements" involved. But since signing statements are not disclosed, we can only speculate about their content. My guess is it went something like this: "I am already all-powerful and do not require no stinkin' Congress to tell me what I can and cannot do. I can kill American citizens in faraway countries. BAM! I just did!"

So let me remind you that you cannot take what he says at face value. He might or might not sign it; you sure as hell can't judge what he will do by what he says he will do.

There's really not much hope....
edit on 4/26/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/26/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Yeah, I noticed you elaborated on my own shared thoughts pretty well, so I tried to keep it concise.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

on a more cynical note the SOPA/PIPPA spectacle was to put the populace to sleep .. thinking that our reps listen to the people....

Now back to Idol & Jersey Shore .....

I think this will make it through .. and I don't have much faith in the Veto....bet the privacy ammendments will have no teeth .. Hope I am wrong....

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Yup the NDA Veto .. oh how we laughed ... promise we won't use it ...
... the bad bits just got in there by mistake.

So yes I'm with you on this one ... I would veto ..but look we don't have to use the information

top topics

<<   2 >>

join