It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your video will play in 30 seconds... and ATS new Audio Ads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
What is it with the dreaded "Your video will play in 30 seconds". 30 whole seconds without an option to skip the video advertisement is ridiculous. Plus on many web sites once the video ad ends your video you wasted 30 seconds of your life waiting for doesn't even play! WTF!?!

Even here on ATS I go to "New Topics" and the damn board doesn't display for like 3 minutes (before you judge I am on a brand new MacBook Pro with business class internet broadband) but the damn ads sure do go off. And Better yet now they are audio/video ads that play without letting me decide whether I want them to play or not. I will never ever click on any ad that disregards my personal space. Meaning it feels just like a Jahova Witness outside yelling through my window-I would punch that person square in their face! That's how this makes me feel.

Here is the "New Topics" page loading after about 30 seconds of watching those wheels spin:

I can't even get get on ATS after my family falls asleep without making sure my speakers are turned all the way down so I don't wake up everyone with "Do you want longer-lasting energy? Click here to buy our POS fake product that will probably give your computer a virus and drain your credit card.

I am a web developer so I do understand the importance of advertising. It wouldn't be worth keeping up this whole site for free. But even in school they taught us to create a "Play" button so people can decide whether or not they want to be BOTHERED by unsuspecting looney advertisers.

So I am off to look through more new threads slowly but surely...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
s + f for you because the same thing's driving me nuts! i work from home and while i'm waiting for work to come in, i'll wile away many an hour on ats, but those blasted ads are making me spend less time here simply because the flippin audio kicks in at all the wrong moments

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Ads are getting ridiculous! A bill collector can call you on your day off (when you are contemplating how to get them the money, or enjoying time with your family) on Sundays? who makes these laws? At 8:30 P.M. at night I get tele-marketing calls when my son just wen to bed!

Now sites make you wait so they can try to brainwash you. On Pandora I turn the volume down, on other sites I turn the volume down, and I will continue. I also would never buy a product that broke into my speakers and pushed the play button all by itself...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyteeny

It's kinda startling because you don't even know where the voice is coming from. You have to scan through all the open windows and tabs you have open to find that dang lady talking!

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
That's why I disable ads...That and if the kiddo wants to play a game she won't accidently open something while clicking wildly.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Silence runs through the whole house.
It's almost 2am and I'm cruising the interwebs while everyone is asleep.
Speakers are a little high from a movie I watched a few hours earlier.
Then all of a sudden...

"CONGRATULATIONS, YOU WON!!"

That guy's abrupt loud unexpected voice has taken years off my life.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by PutAQuarterIn
That's why I disable ads...That and if the kiddo wants to play a game she won't accidently open something while clicking wildly.

I have a Mac I don't think I can disable them. Are you on a Windows computer?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Silence runs through the whole house.
It's almost 2am and I'm cruising the interwebs while everyone is asleep.
Speakers are a little high from a movie I watched a few hours earlier.
Then all of a sudden...

"CONGRATULATIONS, YOU WON!!"

That guy's abrupt loud unexpected voice has taken years off my life.

Did you win 1000 business cards from Vista Print too? I have won thousands! My business partner are thinking of selling our winning from Vista Print. Shoot I have won at least 20-30 thousand free cards. I'm rich!

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

Yes I am using windows. I looked into it for MAC users...what most people seem to suggest is open safari, go to manage extensions then look up ad block pro.
Or try firefox.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by PutAQuarterIn

Awesome, yes I love my Safari because my home page looks like this:

I also have FIreFox and Chrome too.

I will look for the extension for Safari thank you!

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

ATS will learn the hard way when everybody starts using adblock plus, and not seeing any of their advertisements because they are forcing this crap down our collective throats. The ads didn't use to be so aggressive on this site, and I supported the site by making an exception to ATS in my adblocking software. That all changed when I got malware on my PC from one of their ads.

top topics

join