It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record Pollen Counts Worldwide: Unusually warm weather said to be the cause, I have another theory

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
In recent news, pollen counts have been setting records. Here are just a few stories that will get one up to speed.

Pollen Count in New Jersey is Breaking Records
Record pollen counts across the U.S. Southeast caused by unusually warm weather
Atlanta weather | Pollen count over 8,000 shatters old record for Atlanta
Warm Weather Triggers Early Allergy Season

And, in some areas, not only is the season starting early, but the pollen counts are breaking records. Several days ago, Atlanta's pollen count reading was 9,369 particles of pollen per cubic meter, which is 55 percent higher than the old record high set in 1999. Normally, anything above 1,500 is considered high in the Atlanta area, according to the American College of Asthma, Allergy and Immunology (ACAAI).

Image: On March 21, 2012

But it's not only in the U.S., although I wasn't able to find any direct statistics to specific pollen counts, the following articles allude to a higher than normal count.

Green clouds over Moscow spark disaster fears

Drivers warned as pollen cloud menace heads for UK

So what exactly is pollination?

Pollination - leads to the creation of new seeds that grow into new plants. It all begins in the flower. Flowering plants have several different parts that are important in pollination. Flowers have male parts called stamens that produce a sticky powder called pollen. Flowers also have a female part called the pistil. The top of the pistil is called the stigma, and is often sticky. Seeds are made at the base of the pistil, in the ovule.

To be pollinated, pollen must be moved from a stamen to the stigma. When pollen from a plant's stamen is transferred to that same plant's stigma, it is called self-pollination. When pollen from a plant's stamen is transferred to a different plant's stigma, it is called cross-pollination.

However I wanted to focus more around cross-pollination, the pollen clouds as well as the record breaking pollen counts are imo conducive to this particular aspect of pollination.

Cross Pollination - When pollen from a plant's stamen is transferred to a different plant's stigma, it is called cross-pollination. Cross-pollination produces stronger plants. The plants must be of the same species. For example, only pollen from a daisy can pollinate another daisy. Pollen from a rose or an apple tree would not work.

But how does pollen from one plant get moved to another?

To help support a theory I have I am going to focus on one particular method at which plants and trees cross-pollinate and that is by wind.

The wind picks up pollen from one plant and blows it onto another.

Plants that are pollinated by wind often have long stamens and pistils. Since they do not need to attract animal pollinators, they can be dully colored, unscented, and with small or no petals since no insect needs to land on them.

Source

From all of the above, the record high pollen counts are being attributed to the warmer than usual winter and other than ordinary arrival of the spring season. A very reasonable and seemingly likely cause to said pollen production.

However, I have a theory I would like to propose.

I started to wonder about vegetation and any survival methods they may exhibit. Through a little research I was able to discover that vegetation will exhibit behavior when in survival mode. Here's one such example:

Seed dispersal is the movement or transport of seeds away from the parent plant. Plants have limited mobility and consequently rely upon a variety of dispersal vectors to transport their propagules, including both abiotic and biotic vectors. Seeds can be dispersed away from the parent plant individually or collectively, as well as dispersed in both space and time. The patterns of seed dispersal are determined in large part by the dispersal mechanism and this has important implications for the demographic and genetic structure of plant populations, as well as migration patterns and species interactions. There are five main modes of seed dispersal: gravity, wind, ballistic, water and by animals. Some plants are serotinous and only disperse their seeds in response to an environmental stimulus. It can be measured using seed traps.

Source

It wouldn't be too far out of the realm of possibility to think that mass production of pollen would be a similar form of this dispersal due to being in survival mode. Perhaps the trees are telling us something by producing an over abundance of pollen in an attempt to prolong their species.

The other than ordinary warm trend and early start to spring may be a precursor and the plants and trees are simply ahead of the game for whatever is to come, I wonder what the pollen counts are like before an Ice Age ensues?

By all means I invite other theories to this thread, or opposition to the theory proposed within the OP.

Thank you for reading.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Natures way of putting Monsanto down?
I do not know, weird though.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Mother Nature is an astounding entity. She will find a way, every time.

No Botanist here but I think your theory is quite valid. Great job on the research. Will be looking forward to more replies.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
A plausible theory. I have told people that the earth is trying to compensate for the damage that we have done. Perhaps, this is another effort.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
It's so thick here that it's hard to breath when I'm outside. Not to mention the scratchy throat, runny nose, and watery eyes that follows. I have to rinse off my windshield to be able to see out of it.

What this all means I haven't the slightest. I'm thinking it's just because of the very warm winter and early summer. If not, then maybe plants know something is coming like you said.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
stared and flagged. i think that's the best post i've read in months. it's very possible you're right.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Wow. Your theory actually sounds rather plausible to me, though given my scant knowledge of plant biology I will refrain from either accepting or denying it more vigorously. You've certainly given me something to think about, and I thank you for that.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
God dang you're good .
That was brilliant!
Truly fascinating proposal !
Great work

Yeah and my money is on Earth
Not Monsanto.
They only thought they were untouchable.
Earth can put a hurt on ya !
edit on 26-4-2012 by sealing because: info

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I am glad that others share this speculation. I did some more digging and found this paper on Google Scholar. I will provide the link as it is a PDF of the first page. I can't copy a direct quote but I will screen-cap the interesting section. Reading the first page, particularly the section below, seems to add credence to this theory (I apologize for the rather vertical nature of the image in advance).

The last paragraph in this excerpt is quite interesting.

Source: Pollen Analysis and the Cenozoic
edit on 4/26/2012 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
If any one that ventures into this thread is, or knows of other members that are in the botany or perhaps horticulture field, could you please kindly direct them to this thread so that they can give any supporting or opposing input as to the plausibility of this scenario (theory). Thanks in advance.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I can't help but wonder if the increase in pollen this year has anything to do with the fall out from Fukushima's on going spew of radioactive particles. Not to mention the burning's happening now since March in Japan of the radioactive waste that has been accumulating.

I have been searching around for info about pollen after Chernobyl. I have found this interesting article which hopefully the link will work properly for you all to see yourself. It's titled 'Spruce pollen as a source of increased radiocesium concentrations in the air'.

resources.metapress.com...

Every morning the cars are coated with pollen, and the windshield needs a good cleaning before venturing out.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
That really is a great post , well done !!!

Do you see any evidence of the alleged mass death of bees fitting in anywhere? Just curious , I saw pollen and thought bees.
So much is open early this year and by early I ,mean , Peonies which always open in June have been open here for a week!

Thanks again for your excellent post , I look forward to keeping up with it...Star and Flag !

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Stellar thinking, really nice to see some thinking outside the box.

Well done.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Would the over pollination be due to lack of bee's (Monsanto) ? I mean for cross pollination I mean?

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I think you are probably right that such phenomena probably reflect a 'survival mode', but what are the plants reacting to?

Climate change (temperature) - or could it be:

Water shortages caused by drought/depletion of ground water e.g. USA/UK...?

Increased forest fires e.g. Russia/N Europe/Australia/USA...?

Chemical changes to atmospheric gases e.g. Carbon Monoxide Increase, Methane releases(Arctic, Siberia, etc...), Acidic Pollutants...?

The changes identified in the earth's magnetosphere - a possible identifier to the plants of other forthcoming habitat changes to adapt to?

Increased desease/parasitic menace...possibly not yet identified?

Interesting post, thanks.

edit on 27-4-2012 by curioustype because: clarification of 'temperature'

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
It could very well be down to the mass bee die off's, although i think for it to solely cause this the die off's would be globally so much more noticeable.

Now the 'plants going into survival mode' theory is very interesting, animals are said to sense danger much sooner than we can, who's to say plants dont have that sense too.

I like the way you think.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Intriguing and plausible.....I noticed after Hurricane Ivan came through and ripped up tree and vegetation, that all the plant life around Pensacola went into an amazing burst of growth. New leaves sprouted on old trunks, shoots burst up out of the ground adjacent to uprooted trees and shrubs. For a couple of years we could see new plants that had not been originally planted in yards now growing . So, yes, I think Earth and the plants could go into a survival mode of amazing growth and spread of species. Good for them! I hope it works...

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Its pretty neat this came up in news since i just posted this the other day seeing if anyone else has noticed

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
So there is record pollen counts correct. And thats the same pollen that is supposedly irradiated according to the Fukishima thread. So would it be safe to assume that there is some level of danger here or am I just paranoid. I mean come on can it really be that perfect. It could be mother nature trying to compensate, compensate by Killing us! lol just kidding, but seriously little worried. Especially since I live in Portland Oregon. Pretty much right across from Japan

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Portlandia
I can't help but wonder if the increase in pollen this year has anything to do with the fall out from Fukushima's on going spew of radioactive particles. Not to mention the burning's happening now since March in Japan of the radioactive waste that has been accumulating.

I have been searching around for info about pollen after Chernobyl. I have found this interesting article which hopefully the link will work properly for you all to see yourself. It's titled 'Spruce pollen as a source of increased radiocesium concentrations in the air'.

resources.metapress.com...

Every morning the cars are coated with pollen, and the windshield needs a good cleaning before venturing out.

OK I guess I posted too soon. You totally see what Im getting at. And your from Portland as well. Probably why you are also concerned lol.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join