It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Secret Meeting that Changed Hip-hop and Destroyed a Generation"

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
UK hip hop does not conform to this

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaanny

guru was one of the last of the legends, it was really sad when he died. Just saw krs one a few weeks ago, amazing!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
How is rap music to blame?

I would blame the inability of the consumer to differentiate between real life and entertainment. The good thing about music and television is that it can be discarded as fiction.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Jack Squat

Interesting if true. Gangster Rap started around the mid-80s before the meeting in that story took place but there's no doubt it took off in the '90s. It worked like a charm as it's blacks who would be the major victims of it, considering they started the genre and are it's main practitioners; and with their insecurities and inferiority complexes, they were custom built to fall for it hook, line, and sinker. Very sad if true. Rap at it's best has it's compelling musical moments; it's unfortunate that in the past decade or so it has been mostly an object of contempt and derision.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
A conspiracy that is believable, in my opinion.

These are the kinds of things that TPTB really do to influence our lives, almost always negatively.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I believe it.People will let the world burn just to make a buck in their pocket

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Great read, truly makes one think.
It's quite a strange coincidence that after 91' Hip-Hop went minstream voilent.

Great post OP! Good find!!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms

Originally posted by masterp
As a long-time rap music fan, from the days of "the message" (by Grandmaster Flash), I do not believe this article, because, in 1991, gangsta rap was already established in LA.

Wikipedia confirms it:

That's like saying white rap didn't exist before eminiem or even vanilla ice, but it did they just weren't as popular.
Long time rap fan here too

edit on 27-4-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-4-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

There is no such thing as "white rap".

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Seems like a hoax from what I read, especially the part about the fight and the gun being pulled at the meeting.

Even if true, as a source of info it's no more useful than a hoax being an anonymous account.

If the supposed author quit the business two decades ago why does he need to hide his identity now? Especially if he wants anyone to take this wild story seriously.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4hero
UK hip hop does not conform to this

Correct.

The UK is really holding it down for real right now.

They have finally reached the rhyme skills of the Americans.

The music has always been there. Even creating Trip-Hop in the process.

Always been a fan of UK Hip Hop ever since Derek B, Wee Papa Girls, Cookie Crew and the Demon Boys.

Word!

Oh yeah Monie Love and Slick Rick too!
edit on 27-4-2012 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jack Squat
Positive and good feeling hip-hop isn't dead. Infact, I'd say there's more of it than ever; problem is, you won't find it on the radio or tv.

Yep, i pretty much stick to the underground music scene. I believe that's where some truth lies, where they can really sing about what they want and the message they want to get out. i believe they are true artists in the underground music scene. Mainstream music is pretty much trash to me.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I was actually a retailer in that time period. In my experience, the people in the music industry were definitely involved in one conspiracy: they would release almost anything to make a buck. Gangsta rap was produced because it flew off the shelves, primarily to white boys. Just my two cents.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Kinda makes sense if you think about it, prisons alot like hotels, empty don't make any money.

What worries me in the UK is that the GOV now are trying to turn all HRH prisons into privately owned/contracted run.

I have been saying it all along, as long as we are slaves to the money, you might as well give up, because that is always you/we will be = SLAVE

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Whether this letter is legit or not, this is exactly what happened so it's not really up for debate.

I was 11 in 1986 and loved hip-hop and as a white kid was schooled by groups like Public Enemy and BDP. I would have never heard of MLK, Malcolm X, Nelson Mandela, Steven Biko, etc if it weren't for people like Chuck D and KRS One.

The music industry is like any other industry, it does not want intelligent thoughtful consumers. They had to switch course. It seemed like overnight that the conscious fun rappers were replaced with gun toting, jail loving, fake ass criminals. This sells extremely well to suburban kids who love this imagery. This was a calculated move to earn more revenue.

You sell the gangster image to non-gangster kids cause they eat it up and in turn if vilifies the black and poor and perpetuates the stereotype. Its a win win for the power brokers.

Classic psychology suggest the more you are told that you are something, the more you believe it. So you really only need to be referred to as a "bitch", "ho", "gangsta" etc so many times before you start taking on the persona, acting it out and believe it to be true.

The music industry is just one tiny piece of the overall program of mind control and basic control in general. These modern day Sorcerers know what they are doing....

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Wow! Again, I thank the OP for posting this. I'm happy that this thread has taken off. It needed the attention.

I cannot believe I just made it through this entire thread without anyone mentioning NAS. Specifically the "untitled album" formerly known as N*GG*R. - see below

NAS is one of the biggest conspiracy theorist in hip hop!

Nasir Bin Olu Dara Jones[1] (play /nɑːˈsɪər/; born September 14, 1973), better known by his stage name Nas (play /ˈnɑːz/), is an American rapper, actor and songwriter. He is also the son of jazz musician Olu Dara. Nas has released eight consecutive platinum and multi-platinum albums since 1994...

On October 12, 2007, Nas announced that his new album would be called Nigger. Both progressive commentators, such as Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, and the right-wing news station Fox News were outraged; Jackson called on entertainers to stop using the epithet after comedian Michael Richards used it onstage in late 2006.[86] Controversy escalated as the album's impending release date drew nearer, going as far as to spark rumors that Def Jam was planning to drop Nas unless he changed the title.[87] Additionally, Fort Greene, Brooklyn assemblyman Hakeem Jeffries requested New York's Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli to withdraw $84 million from the state pension fund that has been invested into Universal and its parent company, Vivendi, if the album's title was not changed. On the opposite side of the spectrum, many of the most famous names in the entertainment industry expressed a sense of trust in Nas for using the racial epithet as the title of his full-length LP

edit on 4/27/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

Man do I detest this music form to death.You got caught?You seem so intelligent how did you get caught?
They never caught me......but then again I listen to melodic metal.I give great credit to the guy for going public on this.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
This is very true. Back then artists use to rap about their daily problems or political corruption.
Now it's mainly about violence, sex, and being the baddest muthf*cker you can be. This has really brainwashed many young minds into believing this and following them.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Sure, no wonder I could never stand rap. I thought it would have been out like disco but it just coming. As for the private prison industry. Yup! One name. Wackenhut. The rap music conspiracy is just a tip to this iceberg.

G4S Secure Solutions (USA) is a security company. It was founded as The Wackenhut Corporation in 1954, in Coral Gables, Florida, by George Wackenhut and three partners (all former FBI agents)...
Having expanded into providing food services for U.S. prisons in the 1960s, Wackenhut in 1984 launched a subsidiary to design and manage jails and detention centers for the burgeoning private prison market. Wackenhut then became the nation's second largest for-profit prison operator.

The company has been accused of trying to maximise profits in its private prisons at the expense of drug rehabilitation, counselling and literacy programs. In 1995 Wackenhut was investigated for diverting $700,000 intended for drug treatment programs at a Texas prison.

en.wikipedia.org...

So Wackenhut goes along for a couple of decades and then finally decides to change their name to GEO group INC. and go public on Wall Street. Primarily, their business model is to treat minor drug convictions, like a joint or two, as a major felony and send the convicted to their publicly shared prisons in Texas as well as 13 other states. Part of the reason why the DEA is so hard on Marijuana and against the legalization of THC in America.

Aaaany who. This is just the beginning. Back in the 80's when the crack pandemic began, there was a dealer in the L.A area by the name of Ricky Ross. He was the CIA's and Bush Sr's. administration answer to flooding the markets with the drugs used to create addicts and criminals to help perpetuate the private prison revenue stream.

The nickname "Freeway" came from Ross's ownership of several properties along the Los Angeles-area Harbor Freeway as well as the existence of a freeway near his childhood home.[3] During the height of his drug dealing, Ross claims to have sold "$3 million in one day."[4] According to the Oakland Tribune, "In the course of his rise, prosecutors estimate that Ross exported several tons of coc aine to New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and elsewhere, and made more than $600 million in the process."[5] In 1996, Ross was sentenced to life imprisonment after being convicted of trying to purchase more than 100 kilograms of coc aine from a federal agent. Ross became the subject of controversy later that year when a series of articles by journalist Gary Webb in the San Jose Mercury News brought to light a connection between one of Ross's coc aine sources, Danilo Blandon, and the CIA as part of the Iran-Contra scandal.[6] The decision in Ross's case was brought to a federal court of appeals where his sentence was reduced to 20 years. His sentence was then reduced further due to being a model prisoner, and he was moved to a halfway house in California in March 2009. Ross was released from imprisonment on September 29, 2009.[7]

Biography

Here's another interesting connection.

As Ricky Ross started the tail end of his 20 year reduced sentencing, former correctional officer and college drop out William Leonard Roberts II would don the name Rick Ross. Interesting enough, Rick Ross would go on to become one of the biggest names in rap and even be named this year’s “Hottest MC” according to MTV (like they matter). For the last five years, the real Ricky Ross has been trying to stop the mega rapper from using his name to no avail. Last week, a judge threw out a lawsuit that the former drug lord had filed five years ago against the Miami rapper because the law states that one can not trademark their name to become popular due to “illegal activity.”

raprehab.com...

Rap, drugs, prisons. It's all synonymous.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I used to listen to Hip Hop up until around '98 may be a bit before when 2Pac was murdered, I think it was then that it pretty much totally lost its raw grit that I admired about it and become polished up and ready for mainstream, but to tell you the truth I just outgrew it and demanded more from my music and as a genre of music, Rap/Hip Hop, its quite limited and certainly not as diverse as many other genres out there, but I guess its subjective, I still listen to the old stuff, but thats about it. As for the OP, I wouldn't be shocked, but one thing I noticed about a lot of exclusive Hip Hop listeners, they want to belong to that world, they are very insecure and want to live Hip Hop which often results in violence, even the silly well off kids who don't live in poverty. Heavy Metal had the same issue with Black Metallers, only it was the musicans rather than the fans that set about killing each other but its the same kind of need to belong. Anyway, interesting read, not sure if I believe it or not.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I'm sure you guys will love this song. K-Rino talks about TPTB in the form of "The Evil Machine" and how he destroys it.

www.youtube.com...

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join