It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: New $50 Million Prize for Private Orbiting Spacecraft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Just one day before Scaled Composites launches space ship one in its first flight to win the Ansari X-prize Robert Bigelow, chief of Las Vegas-based Bigelow Aerospace has already announced the next stage in the private space race. America's Space Prize, a $50 million race to build an orbital vehicle capable of carrying up to seven astronauts to an orbital outpost by the end of the decade has been announced this morning.

space.com
While a team of aerospace engineers takes aim this week on the $10 million Ansari X Prize competition for privately developed suborbital spaceflight, a Nevada millionaire is planning an even loftier contest.

Robert Bigelow, chief of Las Vegas-based Bigelow Aerospace, is apparently setting higher goals for private spaceflight endeavors with America's Space Prize, a $50 million race to build an orbital vehicle capable of carrying up to seven astronauts to an orbital outpost by the end of the decade, according to Aviation Week and Space Technology.

Bigelow told Aviation Week that not only would America's Space Prize winners secure the $50 million purse, half of which he's putting up himself, but they'd also snag options to service inflatable space habitats under development by Bigelow Aerospace.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Now that sub-orbital flghts are a reality t only makes sense for someone to step up to the plate and inspire the next round of space competition. If America's space prise has even half the effect on this industry that the Ansari X-prse has had the next few years look very bright indeed.

[edit on 28-9-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 05:55 AM
link   
This is exactly what the worlds ailing space expansion projects need. with this announcement hot on the heels of virgins announcement to fund a passenger flight orbiter with the help of Scaled Composites technology and knowledge. This can only mean increased interest and investement into the space race, and hopefully inject a new consumer market into our world. If only NASA would follow this lead, it could lead to great things, rather than the quagmire they seem currently to be in.

Now I really can see every1 flying around in their own spaceships in about 50-70yrs hehehehe:>

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
This is very good news! It shows that companies are beginning to see space as a potential investment, worth pursuing. I just hope NASA gets it's act together and helps these new businesses.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   
This is marvelous news. I believe I heard a group of only 20 people are working for spaceshipone. There was a show on the Discovery channel Sunday night but I'm not 100 percent sure of that figure. I did hear alot of new breakthrough technologies were used for Spaceshipone. All this from a small hard working group of individuals. I believe NASA has thousands working for them but the risk involved in this type of mission might be too much for them nowadays. Private enterprise works!

new topics

top topics

join