It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"World belongs to 'humanity,' not leaders." - The Dalai Lama (Arab Spring protests)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
edition.cnn.com...

Hello, another interesting find I hope you guys might like.
Just another 'important' person's outlook on things.
Says he supports the principles behind the Arab Spring protests, also stating his admiration for the former US President, George W. Bush.
Nevertheless, though - only as a person. Not as a president.

I've always thought The Dalai Lama was a pretty interesting fellow; he's pretty humorous, too.

Piers Morgan: "Do you ever feel temptation when you see a woman?"

The Dalai Lama: "Oh, yes, sometimes I see people and think, oh, this is very nice,"

If incorrectly placed, mods, do yo' thang.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Rathyas

i think the world needs more people like the Dalai Lama, he seems like a really cool person.

i agree that the world should belong to the people, all of us walking around growing bananas and smiling at each other and playing minecraft, those are the people that are of this world!

not people who break their spirits working all year long trying to maintain control and power over others.
edit on 26-4-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Well, that is certainly the way that it SHOULD be. However, people have forfeited their inheritance to psychopath "leaders." I think this is the REAL point the Dalai Lama is trying to get across. It's sort of a call for people to WAKE UP.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Wew need more spiritual leaders than political leaders in office. (omit pope)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

"World belongs to 'humanity,' not leaders."

Sure .. but humans have to have leaders amongst them and organization.
The world is too crowded not to.

Originally posted by Jordan River
Wew need more spiritual leaders than political leaders in office. (omit pope)

NO NO NO. Trading in political leaders for faux-religious/spiritual leaders would be even worse. Then they'd be saying God told them to do such and such or this or that ... even when God never said any such thing. YIKES! NO NO NO.

The pope is supposed to be a 'spiritual leader'.
Muhammad was supposedly a 'spiritual leader.
Both, throughout the ages, were involved in politics.
(and murder, and death, and destruction, and theft, and wealth hoarding).

edit on 4/26/2012 by FlyersFan because: typo

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The Dalai Lama said something interesting about politics once that I've always liked. Somebody asked him if he preferred communism or capitalism. He replied that either system (or any number of other systems) would be fine as long as the people in charge acted altrustically and with a sense of true compassion for the people. If these qualities were lacking, he went on, neither of these systems would work, nor would any other system.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I'm going to agree that putting religious leaders in charge isn't a good idea (despite my generally positive feelings for the Dalai Lama).

Westerners tend to romanticize Tibet to a ridiculous degree and think of the past religious regime as some kind of ahistorical groovocracy run by enlightened beings. The problem with this fantasy is that it is just that - a fantasy. Old Tibet was a feudal land, not so different from feudal lands in other parts of pre-modern Asia or Europe. The monestaries had vast landholdings with tens of thousands of serf-pesants in slave-like bondage who toiled under miserable conditions while the monks sat high above it all in palace-like monestaries, spinning beautiful theories. Serfs were whipped, put in stocks, and punished by having their limbs cut off; as bonded labor they had no control over their life. Those interested in reading about the darker side of feudal Tibet are referred to this link. It's an eye-opener.

edit on 4/26/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
NO NO NO. Trading in political leaders for faux-religious/spiritual leaders would be even worse. Then they'd be saying God told them to do such and such or this or that ... even when God never said any such thing. YIKES! NO NO NO.

The pope is supposed to be a 'spiritual leader'.
Muhammad was supposedly a 'spiritual leader.
Both, throughout the ages, were involved in politics.
(and murder, and death, and destruction, and theft, and wealth hoarding).

Buddhism had NEVER been a religion. It is only a way of life. There are spiritual leaders such as the Lama, but they are there only to impart wisdom on human behaviour, observed over millenia, to the masses. They do not seek for political offices, but only to stay true to their calling by Buddha, to help end the suffering and pain confused humans such as you experienced daily.

One does not worship Buddha or his followers, or even call him a god. Only fools, the cunning and the selfish do. One only respect the wisdom and be thankful fo the truths imparted in another geological barrier that had separated the east and west, that have helped and solve issues of life, relevant even today, and thus buddhism's longevity.

Utimately, they are mortals. Some of them are corrupted, but many more are far enlightened to the greed and lusts of this world to shun it in order to be true to themselves, and show to mankind that one can live without all the greed that humanity desires so hungrily and erraneously for.

If only the clerics, pastors and heirachical commands of other religions could only embrace truths as shown as the Lama had spoken. Lusts of greed and power by flawed mortal men masquerading as ranking leaders in other mainstream religions had detracted and derailed our progress and evolution long enough.

Only a handful of these good men from religious and secular leadership around the world whom will leave none behind, remain alive today. May they...be enough...to counter what we mankind have to face up to soon...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101

Buddhism had NEVER been a religion. It is only a way of life. There are spiritual leaders such as the Lama, but they are there only to impart wisdom on human behaviour, observed over millenia, to the masses. They do not seek for political offices, but only to stay true to their calling by Buddha, to help end the suffering and pain confused humans such as you experienced daily.

Wow. Just wow. I'm guessing you've never lived in an Asian country or encountered actual Buddhist practice in any indigenous form.

I'm sure your "Zen-and-the-art-of-motorcycle-maintainance" version of new-age hippie Buddhism would be of great comfort to the many thousands of bonded Tibetan serfs who had their hands hacked off in monastic landholding in feudal Tibet. And while we are on the subject of Zen arts, what do you think those medieval Samurai archers were shooting at with their Zen-focused concentratrion? Human flesh, is what.

I have great respect for Buddhism but no respect for the cartoonish idealization of it that goes on in the West so frequently.

edit on 4/26/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Rathyas

I've always thought The Dalai Lama was a pretty interesting fellow; he's pretty humorous, too.

Yeah, if you're the type to find feudalism funny...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I appreciate your recap. Hopefully everyone will get a chance to read it...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Wow. Just wow. I'm guessing you've never lived in an Asian country or encountered actual Buddhist practice in any indigenous form.

I'm sure your "Zen-and-the-art-of-motorcycle-maintainance" version of new-age hippie Buddhism would be of great comfort to the many thousands of bonded Tibetan serfs who had their hands hacked off in monastic landholding in feudal Tibet. And while we are on the subject of Zen arts, what do you think those medieval Samurai archers were shooting at with their Zen-focused concentratrion? Human flesh, is what.

I have great respect for Buddhism but no respect for the cartoonish idealization of it that goes on in the West so frequently.

'Great respect for Buddhism' you claimed and allude ALL buddhist followers as tibetan serfs? No need to talk in forked tongue. Say what you wish honestly and you may still retain some honor. Speak as you did thus and you will lose all credibility.

Just an advice to you if you wish to continue with the discussion.

edit on 26-4-2012 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The BS china CCP propaganda has to end, if even the reknowned Silent Thunder is fooled.

Buddhism does not imposes on anyone, for it is a strong proponent of free will, unlike western nations whom would give hell to religious and secular leaders if they impose on free will and enslaved nations out of personal leadership selfish greed as those leaders had proven for centuries, led nations to wars, pain and suffering.

Tibet is isolated, and intends to keep it that way. It had been a choice for the People, for they know far more than western fools know, and have no wish to partake in sham political doctrines. That many had self immolated is evident of their knowledge. Better to seek the truth than to live a life of delusion and repression by the tyrant CCP gov.

Under Buddhist rule, farmers were fed. Excess sons gave up the trappings to serve as community volunteers - monks. There was food and shared by all. It was a choice they wanted, and must be respected. None was beheaded, or rebelled, or had their limbs cut off like other nations.

There were minor discontent, but those whom choose a different path do have the free will to leave and find better pastures elsewhere. At least under buddhist rule, none was as repressed as under current CCP rule where many are tortured, murdered and robbed of their ancestors land holdings.

Eventually, they will progress and evolve, but at a pace that they want to, instead of being repressed into it. A man convinced against his will is a man unconvinced, something the CCP gov had not learnt nor wish to in its rapacious greed for tibetan resources.

Bhutan, another buddhist state, is not listed as the happiest nation on Earth for nothing.

And as for buddhist followers around the world, do not disparage against them as 'hippies', if one does not understand what buddhism is all about. It only show one's absolute shameful ignorance.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

That is it exactly a system is only as good as the people implementing it.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Americanist

Buddhism is neither pure nor impure. It's theories are beautiful. It's actual practice and implementation in the world is as corrupt as any other faith. In Tokyo, monks often perform money laundering for the mafia and drive Mercedes-Benz. One cannot claim that the feudal conditions of Tibet did not exist, even if vajrayana is a beautiful theory. The doctrine of karma has been used to justify great inequality in every society it has taken root. Those who claim buddhism is not a religion subject to corruption usually know it only from books.

Nothing that comes from man is pure, not even the dharma.

If I speak harshly about Buddhism it is to expel romantic myths.

top topics

join