It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask a Teacher Anything

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by cloudyday
I have a couple of nieces in elementary school. Parents seem to be able to choose among several public "charter" schools for each grade level. These "charter" schools claim to specialize in something glitzy, but it all seems to be B.S. For instance my niece was telling me about one of her elementary school friends who is "in robotics"
I used to be a software engineer, so I know "robotics" is just a gimmick for that school to compete with the other gimmicky charter schools.

Also, when I was in elementary school we had recess 2 or 3 times every day. It doesn't sound like schools do that now. My happiest school memories were watching bees flying around the dandelions during recess.

Finally, has anybody ever considered bringing back the one room school house? I've noticed that home schooled kids seem to be better educated than public schooled kids. I think there might be advantages to putting kids of various ages and understanding in one room where they can teach each other.

Charter Schools are just like regular schools. Some are great, some are good, and some are terrible. Usually, charter schools focus more on math or science, so those students who find that ineresting are automatically drawn to those schools. The robotics course, I'm sure, is just an exploration of robotics technology.

Recess twice a day would be wonderful! But the pressure to pass the standardized tests has schools in such a strict regime that many schools skip recess altogether. Personally, I believe skipping recess is very detrimental to the students. They need a break, and physical activity produces lots of good chemicals in the brain. Better impulse control, attention span, and overall well-being when you can add exercise to the classroom.

Many rural areas do have classes with multiple grade levels. But the advantage of the home school kids, IMO, is not that the children are with others on different levels. After all, the average classroom has children working on a wide range of levels. The biggest advantage for home schooled kids is the individualized attention they receive. Say a parent is homeschooling three children. She can work directly with what each child needs, strengthen areas of weakness, provide basically one-on-one attention. EVERY child would thrive in that environment.

Now compare that to the typical classroom. 24 first graders, one teacher. Individualized attention? Rarely happens, simply because of the setup in the classroom.

With continued budget cuts, our class sizes are growing larger and larger. Even though studies show that reducing class size leads to better scores, the government keeps raising the size limit.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by niceguybob
If Momma Cass Elliot shared half her ham sandwhich with Karen Carpenter, would they both be alive today?

Sorry, that's a bonus question on this afternoon's test. Can't give you a hint.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
Wow, this is great. My wife is a teacher assistant and she will have many questions for you. Meanwhile, can you tell me the best places on the web where you can get free lesson plans?

Thanks in advance !

A lot of the "free" websites for lesson plans have gone the way of the dodo, I'm sorry to say. But usually googling the topic will get you ideas, at least.

One of my favorite websites is teacherspayteachers These are teacher created materials that you can download. Some are free, some you have to pay for, but the prices are very reasonable. 99 cents for an entire unit on dinosaurs, etc. Great deal.

Also, does your wife know about donorschoose? This is a great website where teachers submit ideas for projects, and people around the world can donate to the project. A great "charity" and so far this year my class has received a $500.00 listening center, four leappad tablets, and an ipod.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tadeusz
Say, I'm thinking of starting a tutoring company, a private school if you will. I sincerely believe that I can offer a better education than a private tutor, for lower rates than a private tutor. Topics will include typical undergraduate university fare, but targeted toward grade-schoolers. Very small class sizes, maybe up to 10. Is there demand for this in North America? Any advice on how to advertise?

There is a lot of demand for this type of service, but you need to be aware there are already lots of companies out there who offer this.

Before you began your planning, I would suggest the following:
* a degree in education (especially pedagogy)
* work with one of the existing companies (Sylvan comes to mind) and see how they do it.
* Start your business small, just locally. Advertise with the school systems, rec department, etc. You could even advertise in the local newspaper. But your best advertisement will be word of mouth from satisfied customers.

Good luck!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoulVoid
My daughter just turned 5, she lost all interest in reading or painting or whatever. She only cares about playing video games, on pc, Ps3 or even on the mobile phone. I can't seem to get her attention to nothing else. Any advice??'
Thanks

Turn it off. She's going to pitch a fit for a few days, but don't give in.

We had to do this with my son, who is also five. He would gladly spend all day on the computer, playing wii, using the ipod, what have you. So we have limited his exposure to an hour a day, and only after school. It was a HUGE battle at first, but now he's doing better.

Also, find something she does enjoy doing, and get her involved. Sports, dance, music, even just walking in the park with you. Read to her every night, but let her pick the books. Get her involved with other children as well.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
reply to post by smyleegrl

What is wrong with the educational system in America?

So very much. Can you narrow your question, please?

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
Great thread. OP, being married to a teacher I can't comprehend how you have time to manage a thread like this? Are you still a teacher or retired/ on maternity or other. If not, my question is this. How do you do it?!

Full time teacher, full time mother, full time student. My secret?

I never sleep.

In all honesty, I multi-task like you wouldn't believe. I think its required for all teachers. Also, I spend a couple of hours a night and about ten on the weekend doing lesson plans, powerpoints, what have you. Teaching is not a 9-5 job.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Great thread. OP, being married to a teacher I can't comprehend how you have time to manage a thread like this? Are you still a teacher or retired/ on maternity or other. If not, my question is this. How do you do it?!

I never sleep.

In all honesty, I multi-task like you wouldn't believe. I think its required for all teachers. Also, I spend a couple of hours a night and about ten on the weekend doing lesson plans, powerpoints, what have you. Teaching is not a 9-5 job.

I meant how do you find the time to manage a thread like this? I'm well aware of the work you do as you will see in my previous reply (after the one you replied to). I am one of the few people who really understand how much work goes into teaching. Really winds me up when people think teachers have it easy!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Thanks, I will review that info with her.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar

I have a fairly lame (by comparison) question, probably simply answered, but has always made me curious.

What is it teachers do when their students are on holidays? Students get two weeks each term, and then 6-7 weeks during summer (end of year for southern countries, middle year for northern), I was just curious as to whether it is still front up to work for you guys, perhaps for additional studies, lesson plans, etc, or do you take your annual leave at these times along with your classes? I know that is fairly lame to some of the questions asked here, but I have always been curious.

Not a lame question at all. Growing up, I always wondered what the teachers were doing on those inservice days!

Inservice days throughout the year we use for additional training and feedback. Some days we just try to catch up on the huge mountain of paperwork the government requires.

During spring break and christmas holidays, we are on holiday too (thank God). During the summer, we have more free time, but there are always conferences, workshops, trainings, and preparations for the upcoming school year.

Teachers are not paid for summer months, but we are still required to attend certain seminars and activities as designated by the principal or superintendent. So while summers are wonderful and a chance to relax, there's no pay and still quite a bit of work to do.

About teacher's salaries, I know at least four in my school who are full-time teachers with a master's degree and have to work a part time job as well.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

I have a fairly lame (by comparison) question, probably simply answered, but has always made me curious.

What is it teachers do when their students are on holidays? Students get two weeks each term, and then 6-7 weeks during summer (end of year for southern countries, middle year for northern), I was just curious as to whether it is still front up to work for you guys, perhaps for additional studies, lesson plans, etc, or do you take your annual leave at these times along with your classes? I know that is fairly lame to some of the questions asked here, but I have always been curious.

I would like to add my 2 pence worthe to this question. Teachers get so much stick with regards to apparently working 9 till 3 and having weeks off throughout the year. The truth of the matter is that teachers work so much harder than most other day to day jobs out there. My wife is a primary teacher and gets up at 6am, leves the house at 7.15 to get to school at 7.30. She prepare for the day until 8.45 when the pupils sit down. She then has to keep 30 8 and 9 year olds under control and occupied throughout the day whilst ensuring that they learn all they need to learn and progress at the right level. She also has children with special educational needs and behavioural problems thrown into the mix. At the end of the school day, she tidies the classroom and prepares it for the next day. Getting home at 5.30pm at the earliest after any meetings with parents, after school clubs or other jobs that need doing, she has time for dinner before starting on the marking, lesson plans and other parts of mountainous paperwork that needs doing. Then she may have an hour free before bed. At the weekend, more marking and lesson plans.

During the holidays, of a week, 2 days may be needed to be at school arranging displays, attending meetings and sorting out any issues. Term topics will need to be prepared, resources sourced and lesson plans completed. Then a few days of relaxation (catching up on seeing family and friends because she doesn't have them time during term time). The summer holidays is the only time long enough for a decent amount of time to get an actual holiday and some respite. I'm sure I've missed plenty but this will hopefully give you an idea!

Trust me, if everyone worked as hard as teachers do, the world would be a much more efficient place.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Hats off to your wife!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I never sleep.

I meant how do you find the time to manage a thread like this? I'm well aware of the work you do as you will see in my previous reply (after the one you replied to). I am one of the few people who really understand how much work goes into teaching. Really winds me up when people think teachers have it easy!

Okay, gotcha.

Right now my son is home sick with a stomach bug. He's vegging on the couch with his favorite tiger and watching the lion king (for about the fiftieth time). So I'm spending my "holiday" on ATS, in between nursing duties and other chores.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Thanks for both the replies. Please don't assume of me that I asked the question thinking the teacher's days end the minute their students do, I do get the idea there is always more involved than a 9-3 job.
The main reason I asked is I pass our primary school daily on my way to work, and the average day for me is around 7am-5pm. I usually see teachers cars there when I pass in the morning, and usually at night again on my way home. The same goes for term holidays, there are always teacher's cars parked out the front during break time.

So when you say you don't get paid over the summer and spring holidays, you don't accrue annual leave the way much of the workforce does, to use in such times? Does this apply to sickness benefits also? That would really be crap thinking you do get some leave over the holidays, but it is unpaid, unlike most private sector jobs.

Again, thankyou for the replies. I do appreciate the effort the teachers put in, especially in this backwards and overly PC world today, and especially the two teachers that have my own (sometimes) wonderful pair of hell-raisers on a daily basis. They all deserve a gold star (a real one IMO).

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by SoulVoid

Turn off the pc, Ps3 and even the mobile phone.

Already did that, she throws the biggest tantrum
, sometimes for hours at a time..

edit on 27-4-2012 by SoulVoid because: My actual post is in the quote also????sorry

edit on 27-4-2012 by SoulVoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Question: why is incest illegal? I see no logical reason for it.

Argument One: One argument is because it's the equivalent to rape. But how can that be if both party consents to having sex?

Argument Two: Another argument is because incest normally legals to genetic diseases. But many genetic diseases are passed parent to child. We allow disable people to get marry and have children even though the child has a high probability of inheriting the genetic defect.

So why is it ok for disable people but not those with the same blood?

Argument Three: The final argument is because it would harm the children. Children having a mom-dad who are brother/sisters causes confusion and bullying. But isn't this the same with same-sex parents? A child with two moms or two dads will be treated differently than a person with one mom and one dad.

Furthermore, let's assume that the two agree to never have a child. So no child would be harmed. So why is incest illegal?

btw this topic came from the German human court ruling that incest is not a "human right."

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

I'm no child psychologists but...

I've raised two healthy children to adulthood and speaking as a parent. You as the parent decide what is appropriate for the 5 year old. Throwing a tantrum is tough to deal with but it should be dealt with. From my personal experience they cant throw a tantrum forever, eventually they tire and give out. After all, they are only human and 5 years of age.

It's easy in this modern day and age to simply turn on a device [Modern Babysitter] while we attend to the household tasks, work, bills, significant others etc etc etc. But IMO in the end, we are simply cheating ourselves and the child out of the precious allotted time we have with them while they are young. Those years will never ever be recoverable. [Take that as the Gospel truth]

There is nothing wrong with letting the child throw a tantrum and cry just don't give in. Eventually they'll learn that they cant manipulate you into to giving them everything they want. Break that cycle RIGHT NOW. It will be better for you and better for them.

Just a suggestion.
Raise your child as you see fit

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Thanks for both the replies. Please don't assume of me that I asked the question thinking the teacher's days end the minute their students do, I do get the idea there is always more involved than a 9-3 job.
The main reason I asked is I pass our primary school daily on my way to work, and the average day for me is around 7am-5pm. I usually see teachers cars there when I pass in the morning, and usually at night again on my way home. The same goes for term holidays, there are always teacher's cars parked out the front during break time.

So when you say you don't get paid over the summer and spring holidays, you don't accrue annual leave the way much of the workforce does, to use in such times? Does this apply to sickness benefits also? That would really be crap thinking you do get some leave over the holidays, but it is unpaid, unlike most private sector jobs.

Again, thankyou for the replies. I do appreciate the effort the teachers put in, especially in this backwards and overly PC world today, and especially the two teachers that have my own (sometimes) wonderful pair of hell-raisers on a daily basis. They all deserve a gold star (a real one IMO).

In NC, teachers are contracted for 200 days. The other 165 days are weekends, holidays, and summer.
Every month worked earns you a fraction of an annual leave day. Annual leave can only be used on certain teacher workdays, when students aren't in school. The calendar already has our annual leave built in, like Labor Day.

Every month worked you earn one sick day. These are cumulative and carry over to the next year. If you are out of sick days, you can use an annual leave day but you have to pay for the sub.

The summer workshops count toward our continuing education. But we don't get paid for summer days. However, you can choose to have your salary paid in ten month or twelve month installments.

Please don't worry about offending me, I have a very thick skin. I think your questions are valid and interesting.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoulVoid

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Turn off the pc, Ps3 and even the mobile phone.

Already did that, she throws the biggest tantrum
, sometimes for hours at a time..

edit on 27-4-2012 by SoulVoid because: My actual post is in the quote also????sorry

edit on 27-4-2012 by SoulVoid because: (no reason given)

She will continue to throw a tantrum until she realizes it won't work.
Distract her with other things. You can also wean her off gradually. Set a specific time she can play, and be consistent.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by someguy0083
Question: why is incest illegal? I see no logical reason for it.

Argument One: One argument is because it's the equivalent to rape. But how can that be if both party consents to having sex?

Argument Two: Another argument is because incest normally legals to genetic diseases. But many genetic diseases are passed parent to child. We allow disable people to get marry and have children even though the child has a high probability of inheriting the genetic defect.

So why is it ok for disable people but not those with the same blood?

Argument Three: The final argument is because it would harm the children. Children having a mom-dad who are brother/sisters causes confusion and bullying. But isn't this the same with same-sex parents? A child with two moms or two dads will be treated differently than a person with one mom and one dad.

Furthermore, let's assume that the two agree to never have a child. So no child would be harmed. So why is incest illegal?

btw this topic came from the German human court ruling that incest is not a "human right."

Personally, I think incest is morally offensive.

But your question is beyond the scope of my topic. Just know that if I suspect a child is a victim of incest, I'll report it immediately.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Many rural areas do have classes with multiple grade levels. But the advantage of the home school kids, IMO, is not that the children are with others on different levels. After all, the average classroom has children working on a wide range of levels. The biggest advantage for home schooled kids is the individualized attention they receive. Say a parent is homeschooling three children. She can work directly with what each child needs, strengthen areas of weakness, provide basically one-on-one attention. EVERY child would thrive in that environment.

Now compare that to the typical classroom. 24 first graders, one teacher. Individualized attention? Rarely happens, simply because of the setup in the classroom.

With continued budget cuts, our class sizes are growing larger and larger. Even though studies show that reducing class size leads to better scores, the government keeps raising the size limit.

I'm sure somebody has already tried this, but here goes anyway: what about elementary school classrooms that consist of 3 or 4 students at each of the grade levels mixed together in each classroom? Then the older students can teach the younger students while the teacher stands by to support them? I think this is how the one room schools worked (at least on TV).
edit on 27-4-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join