It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music Industry 'Confession'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I came across this link this morning, where it hosts an email from an un-named big wig from the music industry.

He claims he was invited to a secret meeting between other industry bigs, to discuss the future of rap music.
Apparently the companies they worked for had invested in private prisons, and that in order to get a return on their investments, the prisons would have to fill up.
Their main scheme for this idea, was to change the content of rap songs.
No more songs about politics or general fun, rap should now be about guns, drugs and other illegal activities, in a bit to incite illegal activity, and fill up the prisons.

The email can be found here Music Industry Confession

the speaker went on to tell us that the respective companies we represented had invested in a very profitable industry which could become even more rewarding with our active involvement. He explained that the companies we work for had invested millions into the building of privately owned prisons and that our positions of influence in the music industry would actually impact the profitability of these investments.

We were told that these prisons were built by privately owned companies who received funding from the government based on the number of inmates. The more inmates, the more money the government would pay these prisons. It was also made clear to us that since these prisons are privately owned, as they become publicly traded, we’d be able to buy shares.

He told us that since our employers had become silent investors in this prison business, it was now in their interest to make sure that these prisons remained filled. Our job would be to help make this happen by marketing music which promotes criminal behavior, rap being the music of choice. He assured us that this would be a great situation for us because rap music was becoming an increasingly profitable market for our companies, and as employee, we’d also be able to buy personal stocks in these prisons.

I welcome any thoughts and discussions on this subject.

I personally feel, it wouldn't be beneath music moguls to pull this kind of thing. With questionable morality and your fingers in enough pies, the money comes rolling in any way, does it matter where your money comes from? To some it does!

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

While I wouldn't put it past the music industry to do something like this, why would they pick only rap music? Wouldn't it make more sense to involve more genres of music to get the same messege out to a wider audience. I grew up in the 90's so I remember rap taking a turn for the violent, but I think maybe it might have been other artists trying to cash in on groups like NWA and such, just trying to copy the success of others.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Good find, it does seem that it would be a effective investment.

The ingenuity of greed is impressive.

I have heard heard stories to this effect, so I have no doubt in the validity.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by KingAtlas
Good find, it does seem that it would be a effective investment.

The ingenuity of greed is impressive.

I have heard heard stories to this effect, so I have no doubt in the validity.

Rap has diversified away from the gangster themes of the 90s so much that I don't think the gangster themes could again take center stage. Small changes in drug and DUI laws would fill up the prisons a lot quicker than the scheme suggested in the email

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by QQXXw

The story is referring to the 90s though...

After more than 20 years, I’ve finally decided to tell the world what I witnessed in 1991, which I believe was one of the biggest turning point in popular music, and ultimately American society.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

did you read that email backwards? The danger is even bigger if you do.
sorry, couldn't control my sarcastic self

in my very weakly informed opinion, the main interest of the music industry is to try to shove as much plastic product (some call it music, i don't) to the audience, trying to regain control since their arrogance made them loose touch with changing realities, missing the digital era completely and having to tolerate new commercial actors to take a share of the huge profits these marketing monkeys make.

now as I refuse to call their product music, i owe it to you to explain what music means to me: that's a person using an instrument (the voice is an instrument as well) to create a unique moment in which that person reaches other persons with trembling air that appeals to the feelings of beauty.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by QQXXw

The story is referring to the 90s though...

After more than 20 years, I’ve finally decided to tell the world what I witnessed in 1991, which I believe was one of the biggest turning point in popular music, and ultimately American society.

My bad, I missed that part

maybe if someone with a lot of time could correlate the number of black males arrested with the popularity of gangster rap there could be something in it

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by QQXXw

No sorry, you don't have any cred when you say Rap has diversified away from the Gangster rap of the 90's.
I think what you meant to say is that you are not into modern rap, so you don't know what it is about, and are making a hollow statement.

To make my point, have you heard of 50 cent, Poe Boy, Young Buck, Rick Ross, Cam'ron, Playboy Tre, Homebwoi,
David Banner, 2 Chainz even Nicki Minaj ...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

I think this could just be an observation of the obvious if the email doesn't check out to be credible. The 'Music Video' today has a big influence on the younger generation and alot of R&B videos also push the idea that if you're gangster you are cool.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Makes sense, seems most people who are in prison were influenced by rap music.After all youre not a gangsta if u havent been to prison at least 1, and u cant be a rapper if ur not a gangsta.
According to the street code anyway.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Wouldn't it have made more sense to target country music since there are far more poor whites who listen to that garbage? Hell, had they done that we might have a couple decent country songs to listen to instead of the crap they make now. At least some rap is good. With country, you only have one decent artist and 1,000 sound alikes, And no one knows the good one! They don't play him on the radio. Even his name states his condition, Unknown Hinson. They really should have done that to country instead of rap.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Ookie

Seems like it suited someone to hurt the Black Community.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by sharkz
reply to post by Ookie

Seems like it suited someone to hurt the Black Community.

.... and they walk willingly into the showers lead by their own community leaders with a welcome meal of misplaced hate/blame. Its really no different in my own culture and our own "leaders", but I am such a minority we really are irrelevant anymore. It would be easy for them to learn from history, but they dont teach real history in pub schools anymore.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
But if you manipulate your audience into doing hard crime so they end up in jail, how will they earn money to keep buying your music?

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Theorytripper

Perhaps because while they're in prison, their significant others are churning out their babies who will grow up in the same manner?
There is no denying that prisons are full of a really large population of gang members, so if this WAS a conspiracy, they can't say it's not working.

top topics

join