It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Priests will not report sex abuse in the confessional

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Why don't the Police just wiretap the confessional booths?

Constitutional rights of people to their faith. Their faith says they have a right to private discussions with their ministers. Even OJ Simpson was allowed private discussions with his 'minister' (Rosey Greer) in jail during his trial.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Why don't the Police just wiretap the confessional booths?

Constitutional rights of people to their faith. Their faith says they have a right to private discussions with their ministers. Even OJ Simpson was allowed private discussions with his 'minister' (Rosey Greer) in jail during his trial.

That works for catholics, but there are a couple religions that don't get to operate however they want because they pull the faith card. Two in particular are the offshoot mormon sects, and rastafarians.

Both prosecuted for unlawful crimes no matter what their religion said. So again, why no wiretaps in talky box?

You know what an accessory is in the eyes of the law?

A person with such knowledge may become an accessory by helping or encouraging the criminal in some way, or simply by failing to report the crime to proper authority.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Two in particular are the offshoot mormon sects, and rastafarians.

I guess that's their problem. IF they want private discussions between the pastor and the flock, then it will have to be part of their religion. The Christian faiths believe in private discussions between a member of the flock and their pastor. If you dont' like it .. you'll have to take it up with those religions. I'm just telling ya' what they believe ...

Both prosecuted for unlawful crimes no matter what their religion said. So again, why no wiretaps in talky box?

They were caught in the act of the crimes.
I'm not seeing your connection ... please reword or something ...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

And here is the loophole: Upon prosecution of a pedophile, the law might offer a lighter penalty if the offender can prove that this crime was confessed to a priest, which in turn, would result in charging the priest as an accessory. That way, the priest can operate within confessional bylaws, and law enforcement can still charge all involved in committing and covering up the crime. It would essentially leverage the disturbed personality of the pedophile, which is always ready and willing to shift blame, against the practice of protecting pedophiles from being charged. Now, the issue arises with how a pedophile might prove they confessed...

Ideas? Anyone?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Two in particular are the offshoot mormon sects, and rastafarians.

I guess that's their problem. IF they want private discussions between the pastor and the flock, then it will have to be part of their religion. The Christian faiths believe in private discussions between a member of the flock and their pastor. If you dont' like it .. you'll have to take it up with those religions. I'm just telling ya' what they believe ...

They were caught in the act of the crimes.
I'm not seeing your connection ... please reword or something ...

Someone giving information related to a crime to the father in the confessional makes the father guilty of being accessory to the crime.

Simple as that.

The Police know this is going on, because the church admits it. The police have prosecuted other faith groups, why should they not prosecute catholics?

Or is that "their problem"?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

The police have prosecuted other faith groups, why should they not prosecute catholics?

If the police prosecuted people like that mormon fella who was attacking children and 'marrying' teenage girls, then that's because someone went and complained about it to the police. In a confessional, the pedophile doing the confessing isn't going to the police so the police don't have knowledge of it. (unless the priest makes it what the pedophile has to do in order to have absolution).

Or is that "their problem"?

Still not following you ...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

So it's okay if it's not a big enough crime.

Check.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I'm REALLY not following you at all. Sorry.
You'll have to enlighten us to what direction you are going with these things.
I'm not being difficult here ... I'm really not seeing whatever it is you are trying to say.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

How can you be so myopic .. when the fact is that VERY FEW Catholic priests were really pedophiles and the fact is that when a pedophile steps forward to confess, it is an opportunity for someone to be able to get that pedophile to turn himself in and/or get mental health help.

BTW ... children are much more likely to be sexually abused in a public school than in a Catholic church.
Another BTW ... the protestants also have pedophiles who have invaded their churches as well.
It's not a 'catholic thing'.

Don't be so myopic with anti-Catholic hate.
Confession is an OPPORTUNITY for getting the pedophile to stop.
If the pedophile didn't want to stop, he/she wouldn't be at confession to begin with.
The priest has an opportunity to build upon that fact.

The article relates to a change in the law in Ireland. Ireland is a very small country. You state above that there were very few catholic priests who were pedophiles. I suggest you go and read the reports that have been published in Ireland that reveal the ENOURMOUS amount of SEXUAL ABUSE OF CHILDREN. Many other priests and the hierarchy were also involved in COVERING UP and HIDING this abuse. It was goddam massive amount of abuse. More reports have been requested. This is no where near finished either.

I have no idea how widespread sexual abuse is in the protestant churches. I have not seen any reports on this behaviour. I have seen several reports of the abuse carried out by the catholic church against children. The majority of the population of Ireland are catholics.

For a very long time the catholic church has runand controlled Ireland. Run the schools, the hospitals, the homes for orphans and troubled kids. All the places were the vunerable were attacked and preyed on by their supposed minders.

And you wonder why I would hate the Catholic church. You are a joke trying to defend an institution like this.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join