It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious "creature" Discovered By Amateur Paleontologist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   

For 70 years, academic paleontologists have been assisted by a dedicated corps of amateurs known as the Dry Dredgers. Recently, one amateur found a very large and very mysterious fossil that has the professionals puzzled.

Around 450 million years ago, shallow seas covered the Cincinnati region and harbored one very large and now very mysterious organism. Despite its size, no one has ever found a fossil of this "monster" until its discovery by an amateur paleontologist last year.
The fossilized specimen, a roughly elliptical shape with multiple lobes, totaling almost seven feet in length.

Source

It was discovered by an amateur paleontologist in northern Kentucky.The fossil weighs 150 pounds and is more than 6 feet long and 3 feet wide and believed by Scientists that the fossil is 450 million years old.

Experts are trying to determine whether it was an animal, mineral or a form of plant life from a time when the Cincinnati region was underwater.

As of right now they have determined that it is biological but still remain baffled to what exactly it is.

Here are some Pictures but unfortunately they do not show a lot -

A closer look at the 'unknown' specimens texture -

Sorry it is not a whole lot to go by and the pictures really do not show enough to make an educated guess as to what this thing may of looked like.

If it is a thing,as of right now they are not 100% sure if it was a living creature or some form of ancient kelp/plant life.
If I can find any more pictures or updates I will be sure to post them here.

So,what do you think this thing is?

edit on 26-4-2012 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Maybe not even a 'creature' so much as a plant.

“My personal theory is that it stood upright, with branches reaching out in all directions similar to a shrub,” Fine said. “If I am right, then the upper-most branch would have towered nine feet high. “

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Exactly, as I put in the op. I am not sure if it could be called a creature either.
The article from the university/other media outlets are even naming it a 'monster'

I put creature instead of monster for obvious reasons.It may still turn out that this was some form of ancient marine life.

I wanted to at the very least make it be known just in case it did turn out to be an undiscovered species of some type.

I was unsure where to post it as well but figured cryptozoology would be the more accurate forum.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
It's a little hard to say what this fossil looked like when it was alive, due to the very limited pics they posted of it's remains. however, i do think it is a type specimen of a previously unknown species. im sure they'll have a better idea of what it was fairly soon.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

No fault of yours of course, the headlined 'monster' they used was even a little more overboard.

But in any case, its just a carrot dangling, and nothing solid... sadly.

If it is something other than plant life, it is curious how the fossil took on that shape, or the actual shape of what created it...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

450 million years ago, but everyone knows that god made the world about 7000 years old.....HOAX....

im kidding of course but it wont be long till the bible brigade appear lol

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
is it evidence of the truth of Chuthulu?

*eta* 11111!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!! etc
edit on 26-4-2012 by knownothing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
lobes? I'm gnna say, some kind of giant now extinct seaweed perhaps. That part of the world could have been underwater or swamplike millions of years ago

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
A lot of the world used to be underwater that long ago so I'm leaning towards some ancient sea life or some aquatic thing for sure.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
My guess is plant.

On the other hand, I also like the idea of really gigantic single celled life, even though the probability of that is likely near zero.

I also think of the movie The Blob.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Its a baby Gojira!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
This thing could be more interesting than we think. Just because we don't have good pictures of it or info, the people working on it could be excited about it if they're calling it monster. I know the media labeled it that but maybe based on something the scientists told them?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

You make a very good point and was exactly my reasoning for posting it to begin with.
Unfortunately we just do not have a whole lot of solid information or revealing photos to go by at present.

I will keep my eye out for any future developments and update the op.

new topics

top topics

join