It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is The Starting Wage of a Philosopher?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
What is the starting wage of a philosopher?

People with social sciences and engineering majors ask me this a lot to justify to themselves taking a very difficult, less than enjoyable major that may be outdated by the time they graduate.

So how would you respond to this question?

My answer is, whatever I want my starting wage to be.

Philosophy majors are rare, but are also the most interesting people I have ever met. One guy I met is married and in his early 40s, has a job at IBM, spent 2 years in Japan between undergraduate and graduate school practicing martial arts and having a good time, and currently runs in super marathons, triathalons, and does the Ironman every year. Another one I met was my history and philosophy teacher in high school, and is a Moonie (some cult religion where they ship in wives from somewhere in Asia and have a mass marriage ceremony where thousands of people get married in a giant stadium). Another is my current Logic teacher, who was enlisted in the Army for several years before deciding to go to school and study Philosophy.

So a lot of philosophers end up teaching, this is a pretty well known fact, but you wouldn't expect one to work at IBM. Apparently even IBM appreciates people who can write well and think logically.

I also point out that it often is philosophers who found new fields of study, and who write the classic, timeless books. When I think of starting fields of study, I immediately think of Aristotle, one of the world's first scientists (according to history). I'm fairly positive that it was a Greek philosopher that originally discovered mathematics as we know it today... and some of the greatest Mathematicians in history have been philosophers, think, Descartes.

When it comes to books, think Atlas Shrugged and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance for two modern classics.

So anyways, my conclusion is that if you are a philosopher you can do whatever the f you want to do with your life.

Enough about my answer to this question, what do you all think? I need some original answers, I can't just keep responding with the same answer.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
The starting wage is neither here nor there...

Not really important, but it actually may be in the grand scheme of things.

But when you actually think about it, what is a wage?...hmmm...

Peace

edit on 26-4-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I would believe wages are determined by the usual supply and demand.

If there was a demand for philosophers and none available , one could name ones price!

If there were many philosophers and no demand for services, then you can imagine salary rates to be low.

Can't say I have seen any philospher jobs being posted on career boards of late. Low demand?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Hm. I had no idea. I thought they were all barbers and taxi-drivers.

But that's a non-response. I think the answer you have--though a little long-winded for normal conversation--would be enough....

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
The starting wage is neither here nor there...

Not really important, but it actually may be in the grand scheme of things.

But when you actually think about it, what is a wage?...hmmm...

Peace

edit on 26-4-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

I see what ya did there....

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
Hm. I had no idea. I thought they were all barbers and taxi-drivers.

But that's a non-response. I think the answer you have--though a little long-winded for normal conversation--would be enough....

Yeah generally I get about one sentence out before their attention goes somewhere else.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Wang Tang

Doesn't the philosopher philosophise for the sake of Philosophy...

Therefore there is no wage, for the wage is within the thought...

Ow... my head hurts...

link   

Dear Wang Tang,

What is the starting wage of a philosopher?

That of course is $0. Who hires philosophers? Universities hire teachers. If you are a philosopher then during what periods of the day do you ever stop being one? Do you expect to be paid just because people meet you? Most people only get paid when they are working, philosophy is a way of life, a way of thinking are they ever off work? If you are a good philosopher then you will make wise decisions. That will reward you in your chosen career whatever it is. Philosophy itself is not a career, it is merely a way of viewing the world.

link   
My answer is that starting wage is more correlated with one's connections than with education. The more connections you have, and the higher up those connections lie, the higher your salary will be. I find that to do well in Philosophy courses one must actually interact with the professor. This is not as much a necessity in technical fields such as Engineering.

Somewhat importantly, a clear distinction must be made between a philosopher and one with a Philosophy degree. The former does not require a degree in Philosophy. As far as I know, Sun Tzu did not have anything resembling such a degree. Yet he produced a work of great interest.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I don't believe philosophy is a profession; but I imagine someone can gain the necessary requirements needed to become "a success" if that ever turns out to be something worth attaining—which it usually isn't.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

My philosophy teacher told me the same thing actually philosophers can really go into anything they want it gives you the layout for going into anything but it doesn't give you everything it's like a spring board as I like to see it. Also I am one of those rare philosophy majors

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
A lot of people go to college to have a job of some sort. But really, you should be going to college for the education. Philosophers realized this, and learn much in a relatively short period of time.

Is there money to be made in philosophy? Of course. But that's not why a philosopher would do it (a good philosopher, anyways). But, unless said-philosopher is going to write books, give lessons, or become a professor, there just isn't much money to be made from such a profession.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
There is no spoon.

2nd line.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Your salary is placed in Schrödinger's Payroll Box.

It is either minimum wage or high end 6-figure salary.

Or both.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I can't imagine there being much of a 'starting wage' because humanity doesn't deem critical thinking, logic, morality and consciousness very highly on the scale of things.

I'm studying psychological science and philosophy, but i'm not doing it for a job, i'm doing it for myself.

Too many people get jobs based on money, and it's only apart of the problem i'm afraid.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Okay OP.. I like what you did for the overall question within a question. It is that forum after all.
Nice brain teaser!

Of course, I think the literal answer to that question is whatever the public drops in the cup as the monkey plays his little tune next to you on the sidewalk.

Er... It isn't a booming industry unless someone wants to teach it...but....That isn't what ya meant is it?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Of course, I think the literal answer to that question is whatever the public drops in the cup as the monkey plays his little tune next to you on the sidewalk.

Haha yes that is clever, your answer if definitely true. Though I hope in most philosophers' cases it's only metaphorically and not actually true.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeforeTheHangmansNoose
I can't imagine there being much of a 'starting wage' because humanity doesn't deem critical thinking, logic, morality and consciousness very highly on the scale of things.

I like that very much as an answer to my question. I'll try that one next.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SolidFaith

My philosophy teacher told me the same thing actually philosophers can really go into anything they want it gives you the layout for going into anything but it doesn't give you everything it's like a spring board as I like to see it. Also I am one of those rare philosophy majors

Yea that seems to be the general consensus among philosophy majors, because we learn how to think, not what to think. Glad to see another philosophy major on board.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
"To perceive is to be"

"Okay...and...?"

"No, that was it. It's philosophy."

"I see."

"So...what'll you give me?"

"Give you?"

"Yeah. For that bit of philosophy."

"For that? Nothing, I guess."

"Nothing? But that's wisdom. It's priceless."

"Meaning you can't assign a value to it...right?"

"Absolutely not!"

"Same as worthless, then."

"Oh..."

"We used to kill you guys just for the hell of it. That's against the law now. I'd say your lot has improved dramatically."

"I see."

"So, do you do data entry?"

"When I'm not adjusting the intellectual center for humankind...sure."

"$9 an hour, when can you start?"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join