It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ranting prediction! Obama will sign CISPA into law with glee!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
He will be so cute when he signs it.

He didn't mean to, but he can't wait.

----------------------------------------------

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Could we have some more info , please?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
Could we have some more info , please?

I would have to take you back, way back when me and my friends were just teenage punks.

We were going down the silo that Ed Dames later bought!

But, even before that an incident at BAFB with a live mortar round.

And before that my bike had a flat, and I had diaper rash.

----------------------------------

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

CISPA is an amendment to the National Security Act of 1947, which does not currently contain provisions pertaining to cybercrime. It adds provisions to the Act describing cyber threat as a "vulnerability of, or threat to, a system or network of a government or private entity, including information pertaining to the protection of a system or network from either 'efforts to degrade, disrupt, or destroy such system or network'; or 'theft or misappropriation of private or government information, intellectual property, or personally identifiable information.'"[8] In addition, CISPA requires the Director of National Intelligence to establish procedures to allow intelligence community elements to share cyber threat intelligence with private-sector entities and encourage the sharing of such intelligence. [9] In a 16 April press release, the House of Representatives Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence announced the approval of several amendments to CISPA, including the addition of a new provision "to permit federal lawsuits against the government for any violation of restrictions placed on the government’s use of voluntarily shared information, including the important privacy and civil liberties protections contained in the bill," the inclusion of an anti-tasking provision to "explicitly prohibit the government from conditioning its sharing of cyber threat intelligence on the sharing of private sector information with the government," and the prevention of the government from using the information for "any other lawful purpose unless the government already has a significant cybersecurity or national security purpose in using the information." Relevant provisions were also clarified to "focus on the fact that the bill is designed to protect against unauthorized access to networks or systems, including unauthorized access aimed at stealing private or government information." [10]

The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) is a United States proposed law introduced on November 30, 2011 by U.S. Representative Michael Rogers (R-MI) and 111 co-sponsors.[1][2] The bill would allow the voluntary sharing of attack and threat information between the U.S. government and security cleared technology and manufacturing companies to ensure the security of networks against patterns of attack[3] ; the most recent version of the CISPA bill may remove any reference to intellectual property.[4][clarification needed] Several commentators have distinguished CISPA from the controversial Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) bill.[5][6][clarification needed] CISPA was reported out of committee on December 1, 2011 and has yet to be debated or brought to a vote.[7] CISPA has been criticized by advocates of Internet privacy and neutrality, such as the Electronic Frontier Foundation and Avaaz.org, because they feel it contains too few limits on how and when the government may monitor private information when it might become collaterally entangled in the process of passing threat information, and too few safeguards with respect to how the data may be used; they fear that such new powers may be used to find and punish file sharers and copyright infringers rather than the stated foreign spies or hackers.[6]

en.wikipedia.org...

There...I found the info for you....when someone rants it is nice to have some info as to what you are ranting about...now what is your opinion of it?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
You do know that our actions against cybercrime are vastly underwhelming and our exposure is vastly overwheming.

I keep my system pretty well hidden and I am constantly being hit on by the Chinese and the Czech Republic. I mean constantly being hit -- I will have three or four emails a day saying that the admin account has been locked out and the hits come at the rate of one per second. Our company builds nothing that is really high tech, I can't imagine what the guys at richer targets are up against.

Remember stuxnet -- it is pretty much in the wild right now and "something" just knocked out an iranian refinery -- to ignore this problem puts us in certain jeopardy.

If you have any other suggestions about how to solve this -- please let us hear them -- I deal with it daily and I can't really come up with a solution other than the well know firewall and password complications.

new topics

top topics

join