It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizzare Weather In L.A.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
do you guys ever look at the radar or are you all just shooting from the hip?

www.weatheroffice.gc.ca...

click medium on your area then choose all images and turn up the speed.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
do you guys ever look at the radar or are you all just shooting from the hip?

www.weatheroffice.gc.ca...

click medium on your area then choose all images and turn up the speed.

That comment was hilarious yet well warranted. We So Cals, need a wake up call from time to time

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExploitedAliens
People around us suggested that maybe an earthquake was going to happen or even a tsunami.

Earthquake maybe, tsunami not so much. We have something called the continental shelf that would dissapate a tsunamis wave force.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Geez, sounds like alaska weather......that kinda thing is normal here......

except for the heat of course

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
In Florida this past Saturday all the weather services called for a 100% chance of rain, it didn't rain. Tuesday morning we had record low temperatures and this weekend we will see near record highs. I'd say thats about normal for this time of the year.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

New England? California? Texas? This weather I think is worldwide. It's the same weather.

I'm fairly certain that the weather is not the same worldwide. It definitely hasn't been as you described here in Auckland today. Of course, it is quite possible that some other areas have similar weather to you, that is almost guaranteed.

At around 4:25 there were very windy winds.The sky was almost covered with gray clouds. After the maybe 10 seconds of hard wind the sky became clear again. These were very strong winds. People around us suggested that maybe an earthquake was going to happen or even a tsunami.

You may have experienced some kind of small microburst. These are caused by localised areas of sinking air, and can often occur in stormy or turbulent weather. I don't know how anyone would come to the conclusion that this was an indication of a tsunami

Honestly, my friends and I became a little scared. We suggested it might be the end of the world but what do we know. Maybe it was to do with global warning or maybe the government is behind it all?

The end of the world? Maybe you're spending too much time on ATS

By the sounds of it you experienced... weather. I don't see any reason to believe that this must be due to the government or global warming. Did you check the weather charts?

By the looks of it, you have a low and associated frontal system approaching your area. The weather you described is pretty much what you would expect, given the weather conditions.

I remember going to LA when I was younger, and I remember the weather being generally clear and hot (I also remember the smog! I wasn't familiar with that). So maybe you're not used to frontal systems, or maybe there is something weird going on. I cannot tell, as I'm not there now. But given the forecast weather, it seems that nothing weird is going on. Other than the fact that normal weather is weird, of course.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

I've been living in L.A. the majority of my Life and I know that these winds weren't any normal winds and it wasn't a small microburst. And about the tsunami, it was funny to tell my friends. How can a tsunami hit L.A.?

Besides I don't really watch the news. They said it was going to rain today but they were wrong. One thing is that the weather has been bizzare lately

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
In Florida this past Saturday all the weather services called for a 100% chance of rain, it didn't rain. Tuesday morning we had record low temperatures and this weekend we will see near record highs. I'd say thats about normal for this time of the year.

I notice that also about my area.. (my small Oklahoma town).. they predict like 80, 90, 100% chance of rain and nothing happens.

Anyway, Oklahoma had the warmed March on record last month.. haven't noticed anything odd, except for last night. There was like a 0% chance of rain and for about 15 minutes it started raining and thundering/lightning. This happened really late like at 3 am. Otherwise its been nice sunny weather.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ExploitedAliens

I've been living in L.A. the majority of my Life and I know that these winds weren't any normal winds and it wasn't a small microburst.

How do you define what normal is? Would it be normal to never ever get strong winds? Or is it normal to occasionally get abnormal weather? I've been on this planet a bit longer than you have and I'm not sure I could tell you what is "normal" weather for the area's I have lived, as the weather is a highly dynamic process that not many people understand well. We have always had weird weather.

Did you say in the OP that the very strong winds lasted 10 seconds or so? That would be very much like a microburst. Don't be fooled by the name, as these can be very powerful winds, and can sometimes even be mistaken for small tornadoes. I have witnessed some extreme downbursts that lasted over a minute that snapped trees and blew debris everywhere, then going relatively calm afterwards. I could have assumed that this wasn't normal, but I know that there are natural causes for this weather which are far more likely than the government doing it.

And about the tsunami, it was funny to tell my friends. How can a tsunami hit L.A.?

Contrary to what a poster above claimed, a tsunami can definitely hit LA. The continental shelf and outer islands might dissipate some of the energy and slow a tsunami down a bit, but a large tsunami would still have the potential to be dangerous.

“Like all areas along the West Coast, a tsunami could strike Los Angeles,” said Jackson. “Preparing for disaster is everyone's responsibility. Develop your own emergency response plan, keep a disaster supply kit on hand and learn the tsunami warning signs.”
NOAA declares Los Angeles StormReady and TsunamiReady

Also, here is a tsunami inundation map. It's worthwhile to always be prepared.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join