It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada may extend 2014 Afghan exit w/ Video (Harper owns NDP Leader Mulcair)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

The prime minister isn't denying reports the Pentagon has asked Ottawa to consider leaving Canadian special forces in Afghanistan past 2014. Stephen Harper told the Commons his government will consider the request.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

IMO, I don't believe we will stay but we just need to put up appearances for our NATO counterparts + it shows more dedication for those who died that we're not looking for a direct end day, we're there to help establish Afghan peace and security.

edit on 25-4-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
You can't force a country into "freedom" and "prosperity" through the barrel of a gun. The whole reason the middle east is full of these radical religious militants is because the west, namely the U.S., put them in power throughout the years and removed any political group that challenged the west and the Islamic fundamentalists. Right after World War 2 the CIA ousted a secular populist government because they feared it would devolve into communism. Well, I don't buy that excuse because Iran wanted to nationalize its oil fields in order to reap the profits of its resources for the people and not a minority of financial terrorists coming from the west. Since U.S. oil companies couldn't get contracts in Iran, the CIA was sent in to rectify the situation. That is just one single example from 60 years ago. Since we are the cause for their pain and suffering, us staying any longer will just prolong their pain. They aren't stupid. They know we are occupying their country and want us out. The longer we stay the more that convert to radical Islam and become terrorists in order to kick the occupiers out. That means the longer we stay, the worse the situation becomes and the less attainable peace becomes. They don't want us there, more people join these militant Islamic groups precisely BECAUSE we are there, and the situation gets worse for all parties. It's pretty straight forward: Get the hell out now! (I didn't even talk about the contractors who are reaping massive profits off of us occupying Afghanistan.)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by KillThePoor

Unfortunately, most occupying forces seem happy with one of the two "freedom" and "prosperity" choices but that is their purely subjective viewpoint too.

I think the west has it's fair share of radical religious people. Here they seem to be called politicians though. They don't use religion in their speeches, they use other things, employment, taxes, God Bless America a lot too.

I agree with the "Get Out!" sentiment though.
For all our sakes.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
We always hear about the losses on the US side but how many Canadians have died in these Wars??

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoochymama
We always hear about the losses on the US side but how many Canadians have died in these Wars??

158 in Afghanistan..
www.ctv.ca...

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

According to wiki, 158 since 2002
ETA Canadian to the rescue! ^ ^ Read up a post too.
edit on 25/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

ETA2 Now I don't know if this will apply to Canadian Armed Forces too but for the US, more personnel committed suicide than were killed on the battlefield in 2010. I don't know any other year's statistics but for 2010 that is a fact and very worrying too.
edit on 25/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA2

edit on 25/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Removed emoticon, unfit for this subject

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It doesn't suprise me that the new NDP leader is a shill for Harper.

Remember during the election process for the new leader they had an electronic "hacking" incident?

Does anybody think that was a coincidence?

I sure as hell don't.

ALL these politicians need to be thrown out and we need new elections. Harper stole his last one with the robocall scandal and it's AMAZING that we have not pro-rogued parliament in the face of over 75% of ridings reporting suspicious phone calls.

A government under investigation for election fraud should not be given the power to pass legislation and continue with day to day activities.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

The prime minister isn't denying reports the Pentagon has asked Ottawa to consider leaving Canadian special forces in Afghanistan past 2014. Stephen Harper told the Commons his government will consider the request.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

IMO, I don't believe we will stay but we just need to put up appearances for our NATO counterparts + it shows more dedication for those who died that we're not looking for a direct end day, we're there to help establish Afghan peace and security.

edit on 25-4-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

But I thought Canada already withdrew back in 2011? Or are they planning on redeploying?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonKapital

We ended our combat role, however we remained there for training and security purposes I believe.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

We ended our combat role, however we remained there for training and security purposes I believe.

~Tenth

Then it would technically be a redeployment of troops then.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

No.

We have special forces already in Afghanistan, they just aren't combat roles, they do security and training for the Afghan Army.

The US/NATO wants us to continue that role past the 2014 deadline.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

To Paraphrase:
Mulclair: Most Canadians want the troops to come home. Will you give the people what they want?

Harper:We will do what we feel is in our best interest, regardless of what the Canadian people want.

Anyone else notice this?

new topics

top topics

join