It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shill Detector on...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
We have all heard that there are "shills" that come to ats to promote a certain agenda even if they don't believe it. I've come across a few I believe are just that.

They don't actually help or add to a conversation.. they more along the lines stall and intice hate and anger.

So I ask the MODS, I would like to start this thread and go on a shill hunt, we can all join together and review old threads and give opinions about who we think is a paid informant of the PTB.

Can I do this without breaking any of ATS's rules?

Can we have a whole Forum topic to this?

Thankyou for this consideration

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Doalrite

Unfortunately that's a bit of a no no Doalrite.

It really is impossible to tell Shills from people who are just generally Deluded...

It would be a wild goose chase

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

It really is impossible to tell Shills from people who are just generally Deluded...

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I'm also pretty sure it violates rules. We aren't allowed to talk about members. I think if you have concerns like this you have to report them directly to mods. I could be wrong though.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doalrite
We have all heard that there are "shills" that come to ats to promote a certain agenda even if they don't believe it. I've come across a few I believe are just that.

Yet no one has ever proved any such thing. Your beliefs do not constitute proof.

They don't actually help or add to a conversation.. they more along the lines stall and intice (sic) hate and anger.

Actually, "they" (those people you are quick to accuse) DO participate in the conversation. It's just that they have a point of view opposite to yours, so you feel justified in calling them names. It's easier to do that than apply yourself to the actual topic at hand.

So I ask the MODS, I would like to start this thread and go on a shill hunt, we can all join together and review old threads and give opinions about who we think is a paid informant of the PTB.

Can I do this without breaking any of ATS's rules?

Ummm, no. Don't think so, but see T&C to be sure.

Can we have a whole Forum topic to this?

We get a couple three posts like this per day. You've been here a whole month, so you probably have seen several dozen by now!

link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

wild goose chase's are what ats is about, I mean come on lol I've been reading this site for years now.

Have you ever scrolled through some of these guys post and threads... the ones that just push hate
They have a central theme to them and alot of times its almost cut and paste.

Why is it a no no... it would be defined as a conspriacy would it not and it would get people searching through old threads that just burn out, turning up debates and conversation that would've been lost

link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

dunno why but it is double posting for me
edit on 25-4-2012 by Doalrite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

It's against T&C, plain and simple. Which makes any other discussion with regards to your suggestion moot.

Have a nice day.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
One way to spot a bot are double or multiple posts, that just smacks of automation.

No but really, there are alot of false personas here, this is why I come to ATS for the entertainment value only.
99.999 percent of the words here on ATS are lies or misdirection.
This site is only a petrie dish ya know?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Naming individuals is not allowed and rightly so.

However they are easily spotted, just look for those who ignore the OP subject and attack the individual.

Have to say I've spotted another tactic being used. Whenever an intersting thread starts it is blown of the NEW TOPICS list by an avalanch of crappy threads.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Before I take any form of action I basically ask myself two questions:
How does this serve all involved?
How would I feel if I were at the receiving end?

To add credence to this point:
Where is the best place for a shill to hide? Why, at the head of the shill witch hunt of course.
hmmmmm, interesting.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Have to say I've spotted another tactic being used. Whenever an intersting thread starts it is blown of the NEW TOPICS list by an avalanch of crappy threads.

I don't know that is an intentional "tactic," but I have gone to using New Topic Firehose in lieu of just New Topics when things are moving too fast. That way you get beyond the newest ten to, oh, i dunno, 50-100?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by VoidHawk

I don't know that is an intentional "tactic," but I have gone to using New Topic Firehose in lieu of just New Topics when things are moving too fast. That way you get beyond the newest ten to, oh, i dunno, 50-100?

Thanks, I hadn't even spotted that.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Why does it keep double posting?
edit on 25-4-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Well, it sounds a bit like a witch hunt to me, and like all witch hunts, innocent people are burned along with the guilty.

Besides, as other posters have pointed out, one cannot single out certain posters by name and make accusations.

You wanna do your own shill hunt? Go on threads about geo-engineering / chemtrails, 9/11, secret societies or middle east issues. Find the posters that insist on the official story and do a lot of insulting of other posters who believe otherwise. Go on their profiles and see their posting history. You will figure out which ones are the shills.

The best way to deal with them is by researching your position and standing firm on your facts, not allowing them to derail threads or make fun of others. No need to name names. Stand your ground, know your subject, be able to back your stance with good sources, and let the truth be your guide.

Never forget, also, that a shill is paid for what they write, and there are those who are not shills because they don't get paid, but the end result is the same.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
As mentioned several times, such an activity would be against the terms and conditions that you agreed upon when registering. One would think that Witch Hunts would have died out with the Salem Witch Trials. Yet here we are again ready to "out" others based on what whatever criteria fits the agenda.

Disturbing to say the least.

Thread Closed.

top topics

join