It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gary Stein, Marine Who Criticized Obama On Facebook, Will Receive Other-Than-Honorable Discharge

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by longjohnbritches

Any active duty person knows what they should not say. However, if the corp insisted on booting him out, his nine years of honorable service should have outweighed his view on politics. Honorable discharge, full benefits, and a severance pay.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The guy is dumber than a box of rocks. I don't say that because i'm a liberal, I say that cause i'm married to a solider. There's a drawdown going on. All the branches are cutting numbers. If you do something stupid you will get kicked out. This guy should have known that as it's been stated over and over for the last two to three years. It's been on the front page of every service weekly (Army Times, Navy Times...). This guy's case is only public because it involves political speech, but people are getting kicked out right and left. On big boy? Your getting axed. DUI? Pfft, Career over. Get addicted to the pills the Military quacks give you? You are getting the boot. Fail two PT test in a row and you are a toast. If you want to keep that pay check than you shut up and get along. There is a quota of people they are looking to ax this year so you better watch your back.

I'm not going to mention the UCMJ as three or four other people have already done that. I will say that we don't know the rest of his record. They might have just been looking for any reason to get him out of their hair.
edit on 25-4-2012 by antonia because: added something

edit on 25-4-2012 by antonia because: opps

And dude's appeal will be denied. They don't want to pay him, that's why they kicked him. You should see all the seniors that are getting run off with a stick. This guy didn't stand a chance.

I forgot to add, He's a marine, that's even worse for him. The Marines have been on the chopping block for almost 4 years as the DoD has already stated they think the entire outfit is pretty much obsolete (please don't take that as a dig at the marines, i'm just telling you what the DoD is saying). They've killed almost all the major marine R&D programs and upgrades. Almost everyone I know who was in the Marines has seen the writing on the wall and either went to a different branch or got out entirely.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by type0civ

Any active duty person knows what they should not say. However, if the corp insisted on booting him out, his nine years of honorable service should have outweighed his view on politics. Honorable discharge, full benefits, and a severance pay.

You get that would set a precedent for other soldiers to intentionally get out of the military early, right?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by longjohnbritches
Hi sch
Well sure good behavior goes a long way.
Can you explain Exemplary to us??
thanks ljb

Thought for a sec I spelled it wrong and screwed up. If he has a really good record. or example, if he earned battle ribbons like a bronze star, good conduct medal, and had above average fitreps (fitness reports). I have no idea what his record is like, but after ten years of sevice I'm guessing he had multiple deployments to both Iraq and Afghanistan so plenty of time for "heroics." If he can mount a formal appeal that includes testimony from his commanding officers, both non-coms and commissioned, it might help.

Probably a lost cause. He screwed up--no doubt about it vis a vis the UCMJ, but I kind of feel sorry for him as he was a career Marine.

YES SIR it is all explained here

Semper fidelis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semper_fidelis - Similarto Semper fidelis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

edit on 4/25/2012 by longjohnbritches because: linky dinky

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I've seen stranger things.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Gary Stine is this proper justice???

www.huffingtonpost.com...
www.huffingtonpost.com

SAN DIEGO — A sergeant will be discharged for criticizing President Barack Obama on Facebook in a case that called into question the Pentagon's policies about social media and its limits on the speech of active duty military personnel, the Marine Corps said Wednesday.

Sgt. Gary Stein will get an other-than-honorable discharge and lose most of his benefits for violating the policies, the Corps said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 4/25/2012 by longjohnbritches because: link

edit on 4/25/2012 by longjohnbritches because: freakin links

edit on 4/25/2012 by longjohnbritches because: try and try again

edit on Wed Apr 25 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: fix link

edit on Wed Apr 25 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

Freedom and Liberty for all*

*does not apply to serving personnel holding a political opinion

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

If he was that uncomfortable with his commanding officer then he should have gotten out. Many people i know did that. When Bush was in they were doing this to people who talked crap about Bush too. People weren't screaming then either.

The military doesn't allow this kind of crap because a political military leads to the kind of endless coups we see in third world countries.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by paradox

i read article 134, and i can't see how he violated it. surely you're not suggesting that a soldier who states "i will not obey any unlawful commands" is actually guilty of "discrediting the armed forces"

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

He posted as "Sgt. Gary Stein", you can't use your rank. If he had just posted as Gary Stein it would have been ok.

He was also running a "Armed Forces Tea Party". This is a serious no-no. The military is not to endorse political candidates or parties.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

i don't see that in there either.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
reply to post by antonia

i don't see that in there either.

Cause you don't understand it. The UCMJ is very clear that you can't make political statements in uniform and you can't use your rank to stump for political candidates. If he is signing things with his rank that is exactly what he is doing.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

reply to post by paradox

i read article 134, and i can't see how he violated it. surely you're not suggesting that a soldier who states "i will not obey any unlawful commands" is actually guilty of "discrediting the armed forces"

Making a mockery of the commander in chief of the armed forces is discrediting the armed forces.

Go ahead, go into work, paste your boss' face on things making fun of him/her. But be sure your boss knows it's you.

Let me know how that goes for you.

ETA: What the person above said, too.
edit on 4-25-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I gotta say, my father was in for 20 years (Army). He hated Clinton, but he never said anything untoward about the man outside of the house or church. He knew what it would look like and he wasn't going to put himself at risk over it. My husband couldn't stand Bush, but he never said anything untoward about him. He's not crazy about Obama either, but he says nothing about him. Phil says nothing on facebook other than game posts and reposting pictures of our son.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by type0civ

Hi type,
He should never have to stand for these charges. IS THIS AMERICA or the USSR??
Do you type know the difference??? Why the hell should he put his ever loving ass on the line for a scumbag administration that would sell his sweet ass down the river for telling like it is.
PARDON F'n me ljb

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by paradox

it's a matter of opinion on whether it reflects badly on the armed forces. personally my respect for this man has gone up, and his being discharged reflects badly on the armed forces.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

reply to post by paradox

it's a matter of opinion on whether it reflects badly on the armed forces. personally my respect for this man has gone up, and his being discharged reflects badly on the armed forces.

Right, and obviously his superiors thought pasting his boss' image on movie posters was a bit juvenile and reflects poorly on the armed services.

He went against the UCMJ...fact is fact.

You are also ignoring the fact he publicized his rank and used the Marine Corps title to further his personal political vendetta.
edit on 4-25-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by antonia

you really think keeping silent about wrongs is the noble thing to do? people who stand idly by and say nothing are just as guilty as the perpetrators of a crime.

link   

Originally posted by antonia
I gotta say, my father was in for 20 years (Army). He hated Clinton, but he never said anything untoward about the man outside of the house or church. He knew what it would look like and he wasn't going to put himself at risk over it. My husband couldn't stand Bush, but he never said anything untoward about him. He's not crazy about Obama either, but he says nothing about him. Phil says nothing on facebook other than game posts and reposting pictures of our son.

Hey all do respect to your dad.
Please explain UNTOWARD??

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Gary Stine is this proper justice???

www.huffingtonpost.com...
www.huffingtonpost.com

SAN DIEGO — A sergeant will be discharged for criticizing President Barack Obama on Facebook in a case that called into question the Pentagon's policies about social media and its limits on the speech of active duty military personnel, the Marine Corps said Wednesday.

Sgt. Gary Stein will get an other-than-honorable discharge and lose most of his benefits for violating the policies, the Corps said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 4/25/2012 by longjohnbritches because: link

edit on 4/25/2012 by longjohnbritches because: freakin links

edit on 4/25/2012 by longjohnbritches because: try and try again

edit on Wed Apr 25 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: fix link

edit on Wed Apr 25 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

Freedom and Liberty for all*

*does not apply to serving personnel holding a political opinion

How so???
Who is holding
And what opinions??
Servin what TF and who TF
??? ljb

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Stein also was in violation of DoD directive 1344.10

4.1.2. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty shall not:

4.1.2.1. Participate in partisan political fundraising activities (except as permitted in subparagraph 4.1.1.7.), rallies, conventions (including making speeches in the course thereof), management of campaigns, or debates, either on one’s own behalf or on that of another, without respect to uniform or inference or appearance of official sponsorship, approval, or endorsement. Participation includes more than mere attendance as a spectator. (See subparagraph 4.1.1.9.)

4.1.2.2. Use official authority or influence to interfere with an election, affect the course or outcome of an election, solicit votes for a particular candidate or issue, or require or solicit political contributions from others.

4.1.2.3. Allow or cause to be published partisan political articles, letters, or endorsements signed or written by the member that solicits votes for or against a partisan political party, candidate, or cause. This is distinguished from a letter to the editor as permitted under the conditions noted in subparagraph 4.1.1.6.

4.1.2.4. Serve in any official capacity with or be listed as a sponsor of a partisan political club.

4.1.2.5. Speak before a partisan political gathering, including any gathering that promotes a partisan political party, candidate, or cause.

4.1.2.6. Participate in any radio, television, or other program or group discussion as an advocate for or against a partisan political party, candidate, or cause.

4.1.2.7. Conduct a political opinion survey under the auspices of a partisan political club or group or distribute partisan political literature.

4.1.2.8. Perform clerical or other duties for a partisan political committee or candidate during a campaign, on an election day, or after an election day during the process of closing out a campaign.

4.1.2.9. Solicit or otherwise engage in fundraising activities in Federal offices or facilities, including military reservations, for any political cause or candidate.

4.1.2.10. March or ride in a partisan political parade.

4.1.2.11. Display a large political sign, banner, or poster (as distinguished from a bumper sticker) on a private vehicle.

4.1.2.12. Display a partisan political sign, poster, banner, or similar device visible to the public at one’s residence on a military installation, even if that residence is part of a privatized housing development.

4.1.2.13. Participate in any organized effort to provide voters with transportation to the polls if the effort is organized by or associated with a partisan political party, cause, or candidate.

4.1.2.14. Sell tickets for or otherwise actively promote partisan political dinners and similar fundraising events.

4.1.2.15. Attend partisan political events as an official representative of the Armed Forces, except as a member of a joint Armed Forces color guard at the opening ceremonies of the national conventions of the Republican, Democratic, or other political parties recognized by the Federal Elections Committee or as otherwise authorized by the Secretary concerned.

4.1.2.16. Make a campaign contribution to, or receive or solicit (on one’s own behalf) a campaign contribution from, any other member of the Armed Forces on active duty. Any contributions not prohibited by this subparagraph remain subject to the gift provisions of sections 2635.301-2635.304 of title 5, Code of Federal Regulations (Reference (f)). See subparagraph 4.1.2.1. for general prohibitions on partisan fundraising activity.

4.1.3. Commissioned officers shall not use contemptuous words as prohibited by section 888 of Reference (b) or participate in activities proscribed by DoD Directives 5200.2 and 1325.6 (References (g) and (h), respectively).

4.1.4. Subject to any other restrictions in law, a member of the Armed Forces not on active duty may take the actions or participate in the activities permitted in subparagraph 4.1.1., and may take the actions and participate in the activities prohibited in subparagraph 4.1.2, provided the member is not in uniform and does not otherwise act in a manner that could reasonably give rise to the inference or appearance of official sponsorship, approval, or endorsement.

4.1.5. Activities not expressly prohibited may be contrary to the spirit and intent of this Directive. Any activity that may be reasonably viewed as directly or indirectly associating the Department of Defense or the Department of Homeland Security (in the case of the Coast Guard) or any component of these Departments with a partisan political activity or is otherwise contrary to the spirit and intention of this Directive shall be avoided.

Directive can be read in full here:
www.dod.mil...
edit on 4-25-12 by paradox because: typo

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join