It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gary Stein, Marine Who Criticized Obama On Facebook, Will Receive Other-Than-Honorable Discharge

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Gary Stine is this proper justice???

www.huffingtonpost.com...
www.huffingtonpost.com

SAN DIEGO — A sergeant will be discharged for criticizing President Barack Obama on Facebook in a case that called into question the Pentagon's policies about social media and its limits on the speech of active duty military personnel, the Marine Corps said Wednesday.

Sgt. Gary Stein will get an other-than-honorable discharge and lose most of his benefits for violating the policies, the Corps said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 4/25/2012 by longjohnbritches because: link

edit on 4/25/2012 by longjohnbritches because: freakin links

edit on 4/25/2012 by longjohnbritches because: try and try again

edit on Wed Apr 25 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: fix link

edit on Wed Apr 25 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I just did a Check
Nothing there What does ATS think about this???
Are there any military here??
Any War Vets?? How is this related to civilian law??
I know if it was me I would want real JUSTICE
The combatants of these wars grow weary.
Some commit bad things.
Most serve with valor.
Well ATS what do you say, is this proper??

thanks ljb

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on Wed Apr 25 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Hmmm, link is no good, comes up with a 404.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Sgt Gary Stein will receive an other-than-honourable discharge for violating a policy that limits speech of military service members, the Marine Corps said

Prosecutors said Sgt Stein repeatedly ignored warnings from superior officers, and that the postings were in breach of military regulations.

The US military has a long-standing policy of restricting the free speech of service members, including criticism of the president, who is commander-in-chief of America's armed forces.

Sgt Stein's supporters - who include two congressmen, and the American Civil Liberties Union - argued that the defence department's regulations are vague, and that commanders do not understand them. .

those dang liberals at the aclu!! /shakes fist

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 25-4-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Thanks

The US military has a long-standing policy of restricting the free speech of service members, including criticism of the president, who is commander-in-chief of America's armed forces.

Sgt Stein's supporters - who include two congressmen, and the American Civil Liberties Union - argued that the defence department's regulations are vague, and that commanders do not understand them.

Vague regulations, not really a surprise these days. They seem to make them vague on purpose, so they can envoke them for whatever they want. I can't claim to have a whole lot of knowledge on the military, but if they make it clear, when you are in the military, you lose your constitutional rights(I highly doubt they do), you are a fool for even thinking of joining up.

Fighting for rights, yet you don't get the same rights? Nah, I will pass on that.....

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Hi stang
Thanks for that UK link It works fine.
MODS please send me a link nanny.
ljb
edit on 4/25/2012 by longjohnbritches because: t

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
deleted
edit on 25-4-2012 by MiddleClassWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

From the uk article--

The action means Sgt Stein, who served nearly 10 years in the Marine Corps, will lose all benefits.

ljb has to use the age old ATS expression WTF
I am not sure what that means, is it
Witnessing true facist??

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MiddleClassWarrior

Hi mid,
How could a bunch of NUTS Be involved???
Acorns??
hungry ljb

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I'm a recently discharged Marine myself, and what this Marine did, although I agree with him, is in violation of UCMJ Article 134. The conduct of the accused was to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces or was of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
From the article

"He had put Mr Obama's face on mocked-up film posters, including one for the movie Jackass."

I can just imagine a sergeant Michael Moore. LOL
lol ljb
edit on 4/25/2012 by longjohnbritches because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
It's not over til it's over. There is an appeals process. I don't know if he can pull it off in such a politicized environment, but if he was an otherwise exemplary Marine, it might be possible.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by longjohnbritches

I just checked the ATS recent posts
Does any one have an Idea why there post is not there??
There is only one post mine. For the last three hours.
Tkd sta mid???
edit on 4/25/2012 by longjohnbritches because: blab bla

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
It's not over til it's over. There is an appeals process. I don't know if he can pull it off in such a politicized environment, but if he was an otherwise exemplary Marine, it might be possible.

Hi sch
Well sure good behavior goes a long way.
Can you explain Exemplary to us??
thanks ljb

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by paradox
I'm a recently discharged Marine myself, and what this Marine did, although I agree with him, is in violation of UCMJ Article 134. The conduct of the accused was to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces or was of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces.

hi par,
Thank you for your service to the MOST free country in history.
So are you saying (and I know not where you pulled that 134 from so quick) that a mercenary has no freedom of speech??

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by longjohnbritches

BTW
Mercenary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercenary - Similarto Mercenary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A mercenary is a person who takes part in an armed conflict, who is not a national or a party to the conflict, and is "motivated to take part in the hostilities ...

Mercenary (disambiguation) - United Nations Mercenary ... - Mercenary War
edit on 4/25/2012 by longjohnbritches because: crap

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I don't think my opinion matters but................

As a veteran with 21 years of service (including 42 months of combat and 48 months of non-combat deployments), I say he got what he deserved.

From day one in the military they tell you " you defend the constitution, you are not defended by it". A soldier sacrifices his constitutional rights and gains the rights under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. While many of these rights are the same, some are vastly different.

What this ex-marine did was say he would "refuse the orders of Obama". While I hate Obama with a passion (most liberals actually hahaha), he is the president of the United States at the moment. This guy swore an oath to obey the orders of President of the United States and then said he would refuse to honor that oath. What is a soldier without honor?

No, he got what he deserved and he should have known better, but that's just my opinion.
edit on 25-4-2012 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
From day one in the military they tell you " you defend the constitution, you are not defended by it". A soldier sacrifices his constitutional rights and gains the rights under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Do you understand the concept of "natural rights" our nation is founded on? There are rights which all people have....these rights cannot be denied by a king, a president, a contract, or any agreement. I have not read anywhere in our Constitution that "certain rights" don't apply to soldiers. Seems quite the contrary. If I am wrong someone can educate me.

This guy swore an oath to obey the orders of President of the United States and then said he would refuse to honor that oath.

I understand the concept of "conduct unbecoming"...but exactly what order did he refuse? He has stated that he would only refuse an unlawful, or unconstitutional order. That is a whole other ball park.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
I don't think my opinion matters but................

As a veteran with 21 years of service (including 42 months of combat and 48 months of non-combat deployments), I say he got what he deserved.

From day one in the military they tell you " you defend the constitution, you are not defended by it". A soldier sacrifices his constitutional rights and gains the rights under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. While many of these rights are the same, some are vastly different.

What this ex-marine did was say he would "refuse the orders of Obama". While I hate Obama with a passion (most liberals actually hahaha), he is the president of the United States at the moment. This guy swore an oath to obey the orders of President of the United States and then said he would refuse to honor that oath. What is a soldier without honor?

No, he got what he deserved and he should have known better, but that's just my opinion.
edit on 25-4-2012 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

Hi 200.
Can you qualify your statement by presenting the regs, laws, info and codes to back up this statement??

" From day one in the military they tell you " you defend the constitution, you are not defended by it". A soldier sacrifices his constitutional rights and gains the rights under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. While many of these rights are the same, some are vastly different. "
Thanks ljb

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by longjohnbritches

Originally posted by paradox

hi par,
Thank you for your service to the MOST free country in history.
So are you saying (and I know not where you pulled that 134 from so quick) that a mercenary has no freedom of speech??

I know the UCMJ pretty much by heart (we had to learn a lot of it way back in boot camp) but you can find it online.

Here's a link to Article 134
usmilitary.about.com...

Members of the armed services are not mercenaries. They are members of the armed services and for all intents and purposes, property of the US government. There's a lot you agree to when you sign the dotted lines, and an oath you swear to uphold. Talking bad upon your commander in chief, or any superior officers in a public manner like this Marine did, is in violation of the UCMJ. He could have criticized the President without being so public about it.

Enlistment Oath.— Each person enlisting in an armed force shall take the following oath:

"I, XXXXXXXXXX, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

edit on 4-25-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join