It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Health, who is the real sick people

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
There are many people becoming mentally ill and unstable as pressure from society begins to bite. Be it about finance, family, your job or just a simple place to stay. Any removal of these can cause cronic depression or a mental illness. But why does this happen? Are the mentally ill weak or is it society that is weak? Are we designed by nature itself to cope with pressures that shouldn't exist. should money exist? Should having a steady job be a problem? The answer is that when we evolved the only issues we had were hunting and gathering. There is no suprise that the human mind that evolved in ths way struggles to cope with society should the pressure come down on you.

The thing is that I believe our governments know that we cannot handle these pressure and I believe governments create an artificial enviroment of social stress as to break as many citizens as they can. Buy why break these Citizens, the simple answer is that they are easy to control, easy to manipulate. They make you feel like you are the unatural one where all the time it is actually modern society that is unnatural. We were born free but enslaved by day 1 with the society around us. This is not natural and this cannot make us happy.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Hi, I completely agree with what you're saying. Actually, there IS a saying (sorry, not sure who wrote it) something like, "It's not healthy to be well adjusted to a sick society"......
Media has distracted everyone from reality.....the reality that we STILL need to hunt and gather basically....we need to be able to provide for ourselves and our families....but everyone has lost touch with family/survival "natural" tendencies...and got their heads plugged into a screen or monitor.
Everyone thinks they are supposed to fit a role (just like on tv, lol) and be perfect, happy and successful.....and rich. Real life is not designer labels and botox.....geez....what can I say? We live in a sick society.....and I personally am NOT handling it well.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

Any normal person doesn't, don't worry you are not alone.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I have always maintained that it is the majority of politicians who are mentally ill. It may not seem like it, but beneath their charm they are conniving, lying, and either complacent or involved in cheating the American people. Not all, of course, but MANY of them. Just by voting history in Congress, I would estimate a very high percentage.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
YEAH the world is so much more stressfull now...

Standing behind a cash register at mcdonalds is a real back breaker..... id rather be making a fire so i dont freeze to death and planning the next days hunt.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
I have always maintained that it is the majority of politicians who are mentally ill. It may not seem like it, but beneath their charm they are conniving, lying, and either complacent or involved in cheating the American people. Not all, of course, but MANY of them. Just by voting history in Congress, I would estimate a very high percentage.

Without sounding too rude, I think you and many other Americans need to realise that there is much more out there beyond the shores of the USA. Do not get me wrong, I have been to America and I loved it and the people were very nice. But Americans consideration and knowledge of the rest of the world is quite poor. America is only a snapshot of the human race.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
hmmm...

I'm not sure the pressures which society creates is "unnatural".

Is it not a complex form of "hunting" and "gathering"?? Do not the same instincts become triggered when one is the hunted and not a successful hunter and gatherer?

Look at your average crackhead personal trainer. They inspire, encourage, and motivate through negative reinforcement...at least the ones worth a damned do. How are the rulers doing all too much different?!

They are encouraging aspects of our species which they believe are best for everyone, and inspiring people to create, innovate, and be their best. The ones who don't hit a certain social mark are shunned by the majority, or at least the "productive" class.

How is this any different from a wide variety of species?! Many others push out their weak from the herd!

It's just a little more abstract/complex with humanity.

If you don't create various social pressures to thin the herd, they become weak. I'm sure many people don't want to hear it, but it's true. Think they're going to far? Fight! Counter-balance their pressures. I'm not sitting here stopping you, so don't attack me. I'm just observing.
edit on 25-4-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
People probably get mentally ill cause they aren't used to change.

2nd

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

YEAH the world is so much more stressfull now...

Standing behind a cash register at mcdonalds is a real back breaker..... id rather be making a fire so i dont freeze to death and planning the next days hunt.

Not trying to start an argument or anything, but I've done this, too, and though I like my fingernails clean and life easy, there was something very simple to what you describe.
There is something called the Hierarchy of Needs, Maslow. As we eliminate each basic need to survive, such as food, shelter, we come closer to the core of our humanity and the chance to be more "self actualized."
However, we have been far removed as a species for a very long time from what those needs and who we are and what predicates them, so that we are closer to just predators in a food chain. Is that who we were supposed to be?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
We have been biologically wired to survive, through the autonomic nervous system, to have the fight or flight response system to either be eaten alive or outrun what is after us. We have used this part of our human wiring for millions of years. It is how the human race has survived. Now consider that our recent history of the last 150 years or so has changed rapidly and drastically and we don't have to respond to outrunning what is trying to eat us because food is grown and we no longer have to hunt. This rapid change in our environment has not coincided with a change in our biology. We still have an autonomic system that responds to stress, whether it is the boss yelling at us or being chased for dinner. Our stress response has not evolved. We are still hard wired for stress and anxiety. Some of us respond better to stress than others, it is genetic, but also cognitive and behavioral in how we choose to respond to the thoughts in our heads and our interpretation of events. We all still have a panic button, and for some it goes off more than others, but how we respond to it is really our choice.

What you are suggesting about the them vs us argument is a valid one but the choice in how we respond is still up to us. It has always been "...but only if.....". Insert whatever needs to go in this statement whether it is government, personal childhood, devastating disease, opposing tribe, the herd of elephants that just trampled my village, there will always be something unfair that can be inserted. The point that I am trying to make is that each generation has had obstacles to overcome and with that has been great stress that has come in different forms. Somebody or something will always try to beat us down. Life is very difficult and not fair. Until we genetically change and evolve past this stress response, and nature can be really slow about those things, we will always have anxiety and depression and many other mental illnesses that result from it. There can be no waiting for life to be fair because that will never happen. I just know that if my own biological heritage is going to evolve past where I am now, I need to be responsible and deal with things as best I can and that means not giving up or giving in to the perceived anxiety. I have the power to control myself.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
You're absolutely right. Wanna know why people are obese, depressed, addicted to drugs, lonely, sick, violent, etc.? It's because our society is messed up. Things are made to be important which are not. People are not loved and taken care of unless they can contribute to this system. This ponzi pyramid scheme. Earning great amounts of money makes people say "wow he must be doin somethin right!" When in fact he probably had to do many things wrong to get where he is...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

What an excellent post .

top topics

join