It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Poor Need To Stop Covering Up They're Poor

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
We poor folks need to raise some money for traveling so we can bring our problems straight to the U.S. Capitol Building. No sense in marching at the white house since the president is just a puppet. Congress makes the laws that hold us in bondages. All the president does is sign crap.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I still fantasize about what it was like to live as an aboriginal and live simply off the land.

Me too, I've searched the uk to see whether it would be possible but there is no land left that is not owned or controlled.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I still fantasize about what it was like to live as an aboriginal and live simply off the land.

Me too, I've searched the uk to see whether it would be possible but there is no land left that is not owned or controlled.

From what I observe, it's like that maybe everywhere these days.

It is about 7 billion people on earth as we speak.

Not much room for new employers that would need land to build their places that would provide jobs for many.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
It is a bit of a catch 22 situation
I have been a part of a total sufficient group of people but we bought the land.
It is possible to be self sufficient in food - One of the biggest crimes against ordinary people in this country was the enclosures act which took away every persons right to cultivate free land.
However one can plant out in the wild.
Money does help if it enables to buy land - In reality no one has the right to say they own the land it belongs to all of us.
edit on 25-4-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Poor is as much a state of mind as it is a the number of zero's in your bank account.

Financial, I am not wealthy, I get by, and sometimes even have enough left over for something special like some new camera gear, or a new "toy", in this way, I am also not poor. I also reduce my costs of living in other ways, I do buy some new clothes, but I also often buy clothes second hand from thrift stores, I find it simply amazing what some discard as being old, worn, or no longer of value. About the only clothes I never get second hand are underclothes, but I have no shame in wearing gently cared for clothes, it is funy sometimes, when I get compliments on how I am dressed, and I think to myself "pants $3, check, shirt $2, check, sweater $4, check, 3 year old shoes that are cared for, Check, $5 spring jacket, check, wow, lookin' good for under $20, lol"

I am a member of the Salvation Army Church, and laugh when someone tries to pull the "I saw you go into the Sally Ann, what, ya' poor?!?!" My answer, is "No, just smart, and not hung up on image"

I drive a 1991 1/4ton pickup, it has seen better days as far as the paint (a summer project for this year) but with 350,000 on the odometer, stills runs pretty darn good, and I maintain it myself, and insurance is inexpensive to boot ($60 a month) yeah, i would like a 4x4 jeep, but not worried about having anything fancy, the right one will come up at the right price eventually.

I like having to go to the dump with garbage, I call it my $3 adventure, I don't think I have ever come back from the dump without a project, or something I did not even have to work on. I have found "old" things that the only thing wrong with them is that they are "old", like lawn mowers, chain saws, vacuum cleaners. Few people ever do any repairs anymore. a vacuum with a plugged hose is garbage, a drill with a broken plug is garbage, a tent with pegs missing is garbage (ok, found a perfectly good one a few weeks ago, not a thing wrong with it and not a thing missing except for 2 folding chairs in a camping kit) lawn planters, materials from renovations (My hallway has a nice laminate wood floor, someone bought the wrong colour, and rather than giving it to someone, or garage sale-ing it, tossed it), furniture discarding from a home makeover. It blows me away to see what perfectly good stuff some people throw away, without even considering donating it to a charity or thrift store.

I used to have an extremely well paid job, but was away from home for up to 6 months at a time, now that my mother has passed, and my father is in need of help with living, I would rather take home less money, and be able to spend the time with him, and enjoy life a little more.

I enjoy woodworking, so whenever I see old tools, I snag them and repair them, sometimes as simple as replacing the motor brushes, sometimes taking them apart and cleaning off the rust from the motor's soft metal armature to get it spinning again, sometimes it means fixing a broken cord. The wood I work is not always bought new either, often, by scrounging (with permission) from constructions sites, or "free wood" piles I get more than I need. My garden stakes (labels) are a product of cast off wood and my table saw. My book shelves look nothing like the old skids (pallets) they once were after finishing, there is so much that can be had by recycling other peoples garbage. It is not necessary to have new everything. My band saw, table saw, drill press, biscuit joiner, and router were new, but that investment has saved me so much by allowing me to "re-purpose" things it is not funny. I am in the midst of making an old metal storage cabinet I "recovered" and cleaned up into a large food dehydrator, it will have cost me a lot less by the time I am done than buying a much smaller (and cheaper built plastic) one.

I am not embarrassed about scavenging at the dump, why should I be? I not only get what I can use, and use it, often with just a little elbow grease, and no, I am not one of those "dirty, slimy" looking people either, I just believe in making use of what is available to me, the funny thing is, some who would look on my with pity, are the ones who ask me to help out when they are the ones having issues, I cannot tell you how often I have fixed appliances and tools for other people in a jam, or used something I "rescued" to get them out of a tight spot. sometimes I wonder if these same well to do people who appreciate my assistance would say if they knew the help I gave them, was possible because I scrounged what I used to help them.

much of my financial wealth is spent taking care of my elderly father, medication can be expensive, so can the long drives to nowhere when we get out of the house on a beautiful day, and the mobility assistance devices.

I may not have the best, or newest stuff, but I am happy for the most part with what I have, and happy that I get to share it with my family and friends, that is worth more to me any day.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
One of the biggest crimes against ordinary people in this country was the enclosures act which took away every persons right to cultivate free land.

It was that act that signified the change from feudalism to capitalism, and the beginning of the exploitation of labour.

The Inclosure or Enclosure Acts were a series of United Kingdom Acts of Parliament which enclosed open fields and common land in the country. They removed previously existing rights of local people to carry out activities in these areas, such as cultivation, cutting hay, grazing animals or using other resources such as small timber, fish, and turf. "Inclosure" is an old or formal spelling of the word now more usually spelled "enclosure": both spellings are pronounced play /ɨŋˈkloʊʒər/.

en.wikipedia.org...

This forced people into factories and mills to work for a wage, which made land owners very rich, and lead to the industrial revolution, and the exploitation of the masses.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join