Confessions of a "Paid Shill"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlchemicalBinoculars
reply to post by Xcalibur254

As to "paid shills", I am 99.999999999% positive that someone sometime paid somebody something to post some drivel on ATS. Other than that certainty, the post subject line is, imo, sensationalism for the pursuit of none other than stars, flags and backpats.

No, you're not. In fact, you have no idea and zero evidence. You've been here six weeks and contributed next to nothing to the site, which is why you have no flags yourself. You don't get stars and flags yourself; they are conferred upon you by other people who apprecaite what you say. You wouldn't know a "paid shill" if he showed you his check stub in the flesh. OP is absolutely correct and I applaud his stance. If he gets some recognition for this, then I guess there may be some hope for ATS because, quite frankly, you kids will believe anything. Thank God you're not in charge of anything really important. ATS is a great honey pot to help keep the crazies off the street.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlchemicalBinoculars

As to "paid shills", I am 99.999999999% positive that someone sometime paid somebody something to post some drivel on ATS. Other than that certainty, the post subject line is, imo, sensationalism for the pursuit of none other than stars, flags and backpats.

Originally WOOFed by schuyler
No, you're not. In fact, you have no idea and zero evidence.

Oh yes I am. I know I paid a guy a penny to post something so out the window goes that argument, doggy. rofl

Originally posted by schuylerYou've been here six weeks

Hell, I didn't know that, thanks for obsessing :0>

Originally posted by schuyler
and contributed next to nothing to the site, which is why you have no flags yourself. You don't get stars and flags yourself...

OMG NO STARS, NO FLAGS.

{running in circles slapping my head}

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

OP is absolutely correct and I applaud his stance.

Bet you gave STARS AND FLAGS didn't you?

If he gets some recognition for this, then I guess there may be some hope for ATS because, quite frankly, you kids will believe anything.

Like STARS AND FLAGS ? Damn kids love STARS AND FLAGS. Oh yes they do!

Thank God you're not in charge of anything really important.

rofl oh would you be surprised.

ATS is a great honey pot to help keep the crazies off the street.

Well do tell.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Very well said!

The only way to find the truth, is through skepticism!

I too have a confession to make:
I wish I could get some of that coffee, and some of those doughnuts, that "boncho" is always bragging about. The pay for being a "disinfo agent" REALLY DOES SUCK!!!

See ya,
Milt

link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I'd say the attacks serve a purpose. At least as long as they are done in a certain way. If someone is merely pointing out problems in a theory it's fine as it has a potential to lead to further discussion and development. The unfortunate part those is all too often emotions take over. People pointing out errors post with an edge of hostility putting the OP on guard. At the same time though OPs get too emotionally invested in their pet theories that they don't want to change them. This leads to a clash of personalities instead of an actual discussion that could make the theory stronger.

link   

Just read your OP. Star, flag, and full support!

I know where you are coming from and can completely relate. I too have been called dis-info agent, shill, etc. just for applying common sense, not necessarily echoing what main stream news is saying all the time, just common sense.

The biggest difference between you and I is that you "want to believe" and I already do. I hope you get to have an experience like I have had the opportunity to be a part of in your life time. It changes you for sure. I was lucky enough to witness a UFO... well, a flying saucer really. I was about 200 yards away from the craft when it came down from the night sky after watching it for about an hour. Who was piloting? Well, can't answer that myself. But, I did watch this thing take off in a streak of light up and what appeared to be out to space.

So, yeah, I am a true believer, through and through.

However....

I will happily be the first person to tell someone a lens flare is a lens flare, a bat in light is a bat in light, a Chinese lantern is just that, etc. And I will happily be the first person to tell you a low resolution video of a fuzzy light isn't good enough to be considered proof.

Yet those who have never been lucky enough to be near a craft so close it's no longer a ball of light will swear up and down that their terrible evidence is all the proof they need, and I am a disinfo agent....
Go figure.

That all being said, I too am here looking for more truth, more answers. I do this by participating in the community motto where and when I can. A motto too many members here seem to disregard. A motto that if we all hold true to, will by default expedite truth.

Deny Ignorance. No matter what side of the fence it is on.

Great post OP

edit on 25-4-2012 by Lighterside because: typoh c orrection

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I'm curious, why is your mea culpa post far more self reflective and lacking the condescending "I know everything and you don't" tone? Why not have the same contemplative tone in each post? Why the need to talk down to posters, belittle them with words, tone and vibrational intent, when it seem you are capable of the opposite? Why do you feel that the brow beating approach is the "right" approach to conversation and discussion and the contemplative, exploratory tone taken in this post is "wrong."

Paid shill or not, pretending to know all and "call it like it is," in an effort to "educate" others is a form a mind control. The brow beating we all take in school - right thinking is the only approved thinking and through all the rest of the non-paid shill systems, is the problem here. The human consciousness GREATEST attribute is its creativity, its imagination, and by far the worst attribute is the "you think wrong, this is the right thought." What is remarkable is how people believe thinking and acting like the thought gestapo is actually helping the world be less Orwellian. This isn't the dictionary definition of irony, it is well beyond it.

The sign of an advanced being, and the civilization created from a group of said beings, is the ability to tolerate, embrace and then accept all forms of thought - actions are a bit different. The sign of a totally primitive being, and the group created of said group, is the defined right way to think and the wrong way to think and the presence those who charge themselves with enforcing the thinking process. Many people use all manner of thought processes to arrive at the one conclusion; all is one. But it seems the paid shill approach deems there is only one way to achieve that understanding, by thinking the approved way, the right way and to deviate is some kind of heresy (political heresy, thought heresy, reason heresy... who knows?).

What is most interesting is the thought police mostly come from educated, 20-35 year old (mostly white) males who have had an education that deems them professors in all manner of things - usually heavily science oriented (one should really find out where the scientific method came from and why it was introduced...). What is more interesting, is most have little or no experience at any of the topics discussed, but are "book smart." This is the thing that comes as the biggest issue in discussion where all points of view are offered, book smart know it alls, who's actual experience with nearly all the topics they proclaim to be experts in, is almost entirely theoretical, as such the anger, the condescension is almost as ironic as them expanding the reality of experience by controlling the thought process of others.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AlchemicalBinoculars

Like I said it's simply my preference. It has nothing to do with ego or anything like that. I have a good memory and am able to keep a lot of information organized at one time. As a result I can generally remember who said what when and keep different discussions that are going on in order. This means I see quoting as superfluous as I don't need the refresher. So in that case the quoting just takes up space and takes extra time to scroll past. For me I don't see the point in quoting and as a result my preference is to not use it. However, I will try to make specific references to the post I am replying to in my reply so it becomes easier for others to follow along.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by crankyoldman

I'm curious, why is your mea culpa post far more self reflective and lacking the condescending "I know everything and you don't" tone? Why not have the same contemplative tone in each post? Why the need to talk down to posters, belittle them with words, tone and vibrational intent, when it seem you are capable of the opposite? Why do you feel that the brow beating approach is the "right" approach to conversation and discussion and the contemplative, exploratory tone taken in this post is "wrong."

Honestly? Frustration. The first few times I explain something I try to be understanding as possible. Over time though I have found myself repeating the same things over and over again and it just gets tiring. This is especially true in cases where I have spent a lot of time and effort in putting together a thread only to have it ignored by most people.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

It's okay. Someone will give you some stars and flags one day ad then you can be happy and fullfilled.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I've been accused of being a paid shill on this and on one or two other forums. I really wish I was paid, since I presumably would be saying the same stuff I'm saying for free anyway. I say what I say because it's what I believe or often know to be true from personal experience, sometimes in areas of personal expertise.

Why am I here? Because I do have an open mind about things, and there are subjects I am especially open and curious about (possible alien visitation prime among them). But I don't take any sighting or story at face value and my immediate instinct is always to try to find the holes or problems in a story, image, etc. before filing it in "maybe" or "unidentified" file on these things. When it comes to possible alien visitors, that's the best I can say about any specific case, there are a few I have filed in the "maybe" section, but since none of the proof is definitive, I'm still not willing to say I believe anything has visited us yet. I will go so far as to say I think it's very possible.

Like you OP, I try to look at things using a scientific approach. Why? I like science, I think science and technology have been the greatest benefit to the development of our civilization since we've had civilization. Those societies that have put a premium on scientific process and learning (even before a rigid scientific methodology was developed) have fared the best. Proof is in the pudding, as they say, and the only method that ever gets us closer to the truth has been and will continue to be the scientific method. Unfortunately that method often means throwing out data that might be interesting if that data can't be supported. It's a slow process, it's a process that is most often going to return a negative result when a positive is desired by all. But the method, when properly applied, will be sure to return a TRUE positive result when the result is indeed true. Wishing something where true when it isn't won't get you anywhere, and that's what I see too much of on this site, unfortunately.
edit on 4/25/2012 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by crankyoldman

What is most interesting is the thought police mostly come from educated, 20-35 year old (mostly white) males who have had an education that deems them professors in all manner of things - usually heavily science oriented (one should really find out where the scientific method came from and why it was introduced...). What is more interesting, is most have little or no experience at any of the topics discussed, but are "book smart." This is the thing that comes as the biggest issue in discussion where all points of view are offered, book smart know it alls, who's actual experience with nearly all the topics they proclaim to be experts in, is almost entirely theoretical, as such the anger, the condescension is almost as ironic as them expanding the reality of experience by controlling the thought process of others.

ATS is chock full of these low-experience punks with way too much time on their hands and waaay to many jobs which allow posting to forums from work. They are often an expansion of the ME generation with less money and more tightly wound self-importance.

Take our OP who does a very nice job in 2012 threads. Obviously, he is well read on the meme.

Then watch him extrapolate his "knowledge" across several dozen other topics none of which he has the least bit of real world experience or a clue other than what he has pulled from article sets that he has selected from a predetermined concept-idea that created the search in the primary.

Rubbish! It is stupid pet tricks he's pulling right here shows everyone what he is made. I had one U2U that stated "Thank his lucky stars he can hide behind a keyboard whilst acting like a 12 year old. If he did it in real life he'd likely have his teeth manually removed."

My bet? He has never once perceived himself as so widely ridiculed, held in contempt or seen as so transparent.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

this may be why your called a shill...

J. Allen Hynek says in his own words.. "I was there at Blue Book & I know the JOB they had..they were TOLD not to excite the public..don't rock the boat.. and i saw it in (sic) my own eyes happen that when ever a case happened that they could explain, which was quite a few, they mad point of that and let that out to the media.. things that.. things that were very difficult to explain the would jump on handsprings to keep the media away from them..for they had a JOB to do..whether rightfully or wrongly to keep the public from getting excited"

it is interesting to note that even though you seem to have given respect to this man and his research abilities you yourself state..

approach I take to this site is very much influenced by the methodology of the man I consider to be the greatest researcher in any fringe field

you immediately destroy his credibility by labeling it a "Fringe" field.. a fringe field? how so? was not the Air Force involved? that's pretty legit involvement..are not legitimate scientist's around the world involved? did not your hero himself work as an adviser to project blue beam (which is a proven conspiracy because it exists) only to later form his own center for UFO studies without blue beam over site supposedly? did he not live out his life in regret of the "swamp gas" statement because, as he put it was "very difficult" to explain & came up with it after being completely uncertain, but as he later stated "had a JOB" to do"? so why would you mention, as someone who looks up to the man, his Achilles heel? that reeks of a shill move.. anyone who knows anything about the man would know better.. just out of sheer respect for the years of work in the Center for UFO Studies and the unexplainable cases he was able to put forth in the public arena.. because he himself has stated several times there are solid facts, solid reputable witnesses & an agenda to dismiss them..

regardless.. i am going to assume that you have never had the pleasure of seeing one yourself..

because if you did you would know how hard it is..

maybe you should spend more time in positions that would allow you to have you own experience's if in fact you truly want to believe instead of waiting for someone to show you the data you feel you need to believe.. go camping.. hang out on a mountain.. take a cross country trip with long country roads.. something besides sitting around shooting people down who cannot begin to describe, not only what they saw, but how that makes them feel about society at large and their place in it...and didn't take a HQ picture or video or whatever..

just a thought.. but then again this could be a ploy put to you by those who write your checks to regain some credibility on this site, since you have been labeled a shill.. you know, damage control 101

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Oh, absolutely and I seem to be having the worst time lately in communicating without being misunderstood.
Not your bad..it's mine..because it's happened a few times this week. Err.. I need a vacation is what I need!

Anyway, I agree that attacks have always been here and are constructive as they've usually been in the past. If we all agreed, nothing would ever be explored or learned about, right? lol....

I'm sure we agree on this, but to clarify for general purposes..I mean the mindless hateful attacks. Your thread right here is an example, as sad as it is to say. It shouldn't be this way..but Yikes! You've had attacks right here in these 2 pages that just tore into the points your making without meaningful discussion as to why, how your wrong or what position would be the more proper one. Nothing constructive...just a helicopter drop into the thread to shoot everyone in sight...especially the OP...then hide and snipe from the shadows for another page or two. That is what seems to be happening more and more.

BTW... If someone thinks I mean them specifically, vanity is a sin.
If I were to get real specific, it'd be more than 1 and names are secondary..this isn't about people, but trends and how ugly those general trends have become, in my view.
edit on 25-4-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lighterside

The biggest difference between you and I is that you "want to believe" and I already do. I hope you get to have an experience like I have had the opportunity to be a part of in your life time. It changes you for sure. I was lucky enough to witness a UFO... well, a flying saucer really. I was about 200 yards away from the craft when it came down from the night sky after watching it for about an hour. Who was piloting? Well, can't answer that myself. But, I did watch this thing take off in a streak of light up and what appeared to be out to space.

I'm still waiting for the day I see something with my own eyes that I can't explain along those lines. Until I do, it's going to take some seriously strong evidence to convince me, but as I said in my prior post, I am open to it. I did see something very strange when I was maybe six years old (a classic, metallic flying saucer, though with rather extreme, even absurd proportions, almost like a cartoon rendering of a flying saucer), but I was so young and it was so long ago I simply can't trust my own recollection of it. I was the only one who saw it, though I did immediately try to get my father, grandfather and uncle to see it, as they were fairly close by, but by the time we got to where it had had been visible, whatever I might have seen was gone. I only know it wasn't a dream, as my dad remembers me running to get him to see the thing. Did I actually see what I remember seeing, or was I possibly just a young child not understanding something much more mundane? There's no way for me to know at this point so at best I can only put it in my "maybe" file, along with those very few UFO videos out there that defy my ability to explain (I think the Mexican Air Force video is top of that list)..

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

I'm sure we agree on this, but to clarify for general purposes..I mean the mindless hateful attacks. Your thread right here is an example, as sad as it is to say. It shouldn't be this way..but Yikes! You've had attacks right here in these 2 pages that just tore into the points your making without meaningful discussion as to why, how your wrong or what position would be the more proper one.

Such as...?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Ok, now you are just showing off!

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I guess you are just "confirming" you are a dis-info agent? Clearly by avoiding looking at something "mundane" you will miss the larger picture when it is often the mundane out of place items which start the questioning to unravel any conspiracy.

Do you still believe the "Gulf of Tonkin" incident?

By accepting the MSM explanations for all things mundane you have blinded yourself from thinking outside the box.

The devil is in the details be it mundane or not.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by reeferman

I perfectly accept the fact that Blue Book was more propaganda than research. I also know that Hynek regretted the swamp gas statement. I just find it to be an interesting fact that said explanation came from the most respected man in ufology. It also demonstrates that everyone can make mistakes. You're right though I've never observed a UFO. That doesn't mean that I reject the data. I fully accept the existence of UFOs because the data shows there are things in the sky that simply can't be explained. However, where I draw the line is when people start forcing unfounded beliefs on these experiences. I'm primarily referring to the ET hypothesis here, but any other explanation for their origin fits as well. No single explanation fits the available data better than the others. However, it is this fervent belief in alien visitation, or extradimensional visitors, that has relegated the ufology community to being a laughing stock. People are no longer interested in doing the tedious field work. Instead they would rather just sit down with their preconceived beliefs and try to psychoanalyze something that isn't even understood. It's my belief that if ufology had continued down Hynek's path of skeptical and scientific inquiry instead of breaking into its little camps of belief that we would have more hard answers regarding UFOs than we do today.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I'm sure I addressed that as far as I'm ever going to for specifics with my last paragraph. Anything ...ANYTHING... beyond that (and that was really pushing it here, these days) and I know the fights on and leaving the thread will be the only thing to stop the fighting.

Sorry.. if it needs elaboration..I don't know what to say but that I imagine it doesn't for most...and I'm just not going further in that direction. I think it needed said or I wouldn't have posted at all. It sure doesn't need elaboration though..lest we create more of the very situation I was referring to....and in general trends, not specific screen names.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join