It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Methane Gas Leak in Arctic Throws Scientists a Climate Change Curveball

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Methane Gas Causes Arctic Melting:

Humans might not be to blame for the latest piece of news that has caused new concerns about global warming. A newly-discovered, naturally occuring methane leak over the Arctic Ocean could play a role in future climate change, according to a NASA scientist.

www.usnews.com...

I am glad the scientific community is finally accepting that all of that global warming nonsense was crazy!
edit on 25-4-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

Mod edit: Renamed inappropriate thread title to that of original article.
edit on 4/25/2012 by AshleyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
aren't all the planets experiencing global warming or is that some rubbish? if it is the case then it's the sun causing it

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

yea its not like our number one food product farts methane at a rate it would cut green house gasses by 30 percent if Americans just cut down on the red meat.

Methane is something like 23 times more powerful than carbon dioxide, cows produce something like 53 gallons of methane A DAY.

Cows are not meant to exist in the abundance they currently do.
edit on 25-4-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

yea its not like our number one food product farts methane at a rate it would cut green house gasses by 30 percent if Americans just cut down on the red meat.

I believe somebody WAS talking about food rationing recently!
But I suppose it's really to protect us from all the fattys!!!!1

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
aren't all the planets experiencing global warming or is that some rubbish? if it is the case then it's the sun causing it

Yes! it's the sun it was proven twice in 2009 and 2011! The IPCC never conducted their own experiments to prove their theory. They just tried to shut down other experiments that didn't go along with their religion.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

C'mon maaaan, don't you see they are trying to brainwash you into believing Mother Earth is causing all these problems. Mother Earth wants peace, love, and unity for us all. She would never harm a living being. Don't believe me? Ask the mushroom man.

edit on 25-4-2012 by denya11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77

I am glad the scientific is finally accepting that all of that global warming nonsense was crazy!

There is oil and radiation and coritex in the oceans not to mention existing pollutions within the air (Green house) so these leaks could be from a warmer OCEANS and green house gas combination, yes???
edit on 4/25/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by denya11

C'mon maaaan, don't you see they are trying to brainwash you into believing Mother Earth is causing all these problems. Mother Earth wants peace, love, and unity from us all. She would never harm a living being. Don't believe me? Ask the mushroom man.

Global Warners seem to forget that the only reason we are here is because Mother Earth wanted to be peaceful enough for this little bit of time! These years that humans or life forms in general have been here is nothing but a tick mark in the 4.6 Billion year old Earth History.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Cut down rainforest's (the lungs of the earth) and create land for breeding thousands of farting cows for beef for McDonalds. Would you really miss Mcdonalds more than the rain forest?
edit on 25-4-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

I am glad the scientific is finally accepting that all of that global warming nonsense was crazy!

There is oil and radiation and coritex in the oceans not to mention existing pollutions within the air (Green house) so these leaks could be from a warmer OCEANS and green house gas combination, yes???

Wouldn't the oceans be colder from all the melting ice? Yes??

link   

What a mean and ugly title to a thread. One small report proves nothing. Is that all you have?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by KoolerKing

What a mean and ugly title to a thread. One small report proves nothing. Is that all you have?

Yea it is quite pathetic of a thread, eh?

And although I am not a "hippie" like the thread aims to ridicule, I'd much rather be a hippie than a Right-Wing un-evolved nutter like some thread-starters here...

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I am glad the scientific community is finally accepting that all of that global warming nonsense was crazy!

Finally! It's stupid to think us little humans could have any impact on the environment whatsoever...

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I am not here to say that global warming is strictly man-made but....

Methane Gas Leak in Arctic Throws Scientists a Climate Change Curveball
Scientists say a naturally occurring methane leak could make climate change even harder to gauge
By Jason Koebler

April 25, 2012 RSS Feed Print
Although the methane is most likely naturally occurring, ice melts potentially caused by climate change have allowed it to escape into the atmosphere.
Humans might not be to blame for the latest piece of news that has caused new concerns about global warming. A newly-discovered, naturally occuring methane leak over the Arctic Ocean could play a role in future climate change, according to a NASA scientist.

Scientists have long known that there are naturally-occurring pockets of methane gas along many of the oceans' surfaces, but openings in Arctic sea ice fields have allowed the gas to leak into the atmosphere, which lead researcher Eric Kort says may play a "non-negligible" role in future global warming future global warming.

That's from the first two paragraphs, emphasis mine. The way you made the thread made it seem like you proved global warming wasn't man made yet the article you listed doesn't even address CO2 or mankind's hand in climate change. You cannot explain a car by simply describing it's bumper.

edit on 25-4-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
On behalf of me and my colon, I would like to apologise for a surprisingly large portion of the polar ice-melt.

My bad.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I've posted this numerous times on ATS. Global warming and the CO2 are NOT an immediate threat to humanity and Earth!

However as a species we are messing this planet up. Pollution of our waters, deforestation/desertification, and over fishing are more immediate threats to our existence. Any competent scientist knows this.

The reason why all we hear about it global warming is because the UN and others are trying to push their carbon credit scam that will do absolutely nothing to help the health of our planet, but it will make a few of the elite very wealthy.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

While what you said might be true, the larger problem is the diet we feed them. I dont know all the details but they are meant to eat grass, and the ones we raise for food eat corn for various reasons. Grass fed beef apparently doesnt produce nearly as much methane as corn fed beef does.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
On behalf of me and my colon, I would like to apologise for a surprisingly large portion of the polar ice-melt.

My bad.

Carbon Footprint Calculator.

I produce around 15 tonnes of co2 a year.

but there's no flatulence button.

So probably closer to 16....

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

Wouldn't the oceans be colder from all the melting ice? Yes??

NO, because the currents of warm water under the oceans that carry weather patterns have been effected as well the gulf loop is one that was destroyed or modified after GOM leak... Now when the currents are broken or modified YOU END UP WITH COLD OR MINI ICE AGE AND STRANGE WEATHER PATTERNS... Heat the oceans trigger ice age- ice age recools the oceans but after steps of oceans being heated first artifically, unless natural heated from HOT asteriod of massive size. See any strange weather patterns???

Originally posted by boncho

Finally! It's stupid to think us little humans could have any impact on the environment whatsoever...

agreed, boncho

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
I've posted this numerous times on ATS. Global warming and the CO2 are NOT an immediate threat to humanity and Earth!

However as a species we are messing this planet up. Pollution of our waters, deforestation/desertification, and over fishing are more immediate threats to our existence. Any competent scientist knows this.

The reason why all we hear about it global warming is because the UN and others are trying to push their carbon credit scam that will do absolutely nothing to help the health of our planet, but it will make a few of the elite very wealthy.

Thank you, I have always said that global warming and climate change, although very real, has distracted us from the larger picture which is environmental destruction that is happening on all fronts. Climate change IMO is part of it, but not the whole. We are treating the earth like dirt and throwing not only our quality of life away but also the quality of ALL life away and with it our future generations.

I also agree with the carbon credit robbery that is pushed by pseudo-environmentalists like Al Gore. It's just another money grab at the expense of real change.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join