It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court signals it's OK with parts of Arizona's immigration law

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Updated 11:54 a.m. ET: The Supreme Court appears ready to uphold part of Arizona's controversial immigration law, which would allow some of the measures currently blocked by lower courts to be enforced.

Based on comments during Wednesday's oral arguments on the case, even some of the court's liberal justices seemed to find no strong objection to the most controversial part of the law, which requires local police to check on the immigration status of anyone they detain or arrest.

Supreme Court signals it's OK with parts of Arizona's immigration law

This could be GREAT news for us, but we shall see. If this gets the treatment it's due by the SCOTUS, then that will be BIG. If Arizona's law is found constitutional, then so will the other states with similar laws. But something has to be done. Stiffer penalties on companies that hire illegals would do lots to stem the tide. But this is a good start!

/TOA

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Racial profiling is not ok.
I feel sorry for Hispanics in Arizona.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

This is great news. Imagine the SCOTUS upholding the constitution for a change rather than rewriting it.

I look forward to the outcome!

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS7s9

I agree...in fact lets nuetralize all descriptions in wanted posters and the like also.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

Illegal immigration doesn't just affect white, middle-class workers. Do you feel sorry for the Hispanic Americans that can't get a job because of their illegal cousins?

/TOA
edit on 25-4-2012 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
My only problem with the law is the whole Nazi Germany aspect of it, I don't want to be stopped and asked to prove I am a citizen for no reason...

it would make sense for the supreme court to uphold some of the law while striking other parts.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
My only problem with the law is the whole Nazi Germany aspect of it, I don't want to be stopped and asked to prove I am a citizen for no reason...

it would make sense for the supreme court to uphold some of the law while striking other parts.

Actually, the only thing that would keep them from being able to uphold only part of it would be a severability clause. Think of it as a much-needed line-item veto.

As to your other concerns...it is a concern of mine, too. "Papers please". That's not an Amerika I want to live in. However, what other option is there? It would be economically devastating, to an already devastated economy, to just give everyone free citizenship. There are millions of illegals not working that would automagically be eligible for billions of dollars of welfare. Because, of course, we're just swimming in money right now.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Whoa see that jump in logic? from yes I don't want it to what else is there to do?

I got a solution, Any illegal wants citizenship, fine, First English, than Army 2 year min, than your a citizen, problem solved.

I am a Hispanic living near San Diego, and my family can trace its linage back to the first Spanish missions in the area. So as a Citizen I should not have to worry that I need to have my ID on me or Ill get harassed while in AZ.
edit on 25-4-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I feel exactly the same.. I know folks in Arizona and I drove it for years with Produce and I agree things are totally out of control down there. Checking immigration on traffic stops and jail booking sheets seems pure common sense..

On the other hand.. Yeah... that whole 1984 feel to things is leaving a bad taste isn't it? Even the common sense and positive measures..just feel somehow wrong in some ways given that context.

All in all though, if they can't ask Hispanics about immigration along the MEXICAN border than I guess we ought to stop investigating black crime in black neighborhoods and don't even think to look for a White racist in Northern Idaho or North West Montana.. No such thing in any of those places.
We do have to do something...Indeed

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Chief Justice John Roberts dismissed the administration's arguments that the Arizona law conflicted with the federal system, saying Arizona’s measure is "an effort to help you enforce federal law.''

That's what always had me puzzled. There are federal laws for murder, rape, theft, and many other crimes but that doesn't negate states from passing their own laws to prosecute the exact same crime so long as they're not exceeding or overriding any federal law on the book. There's nothing wrong with a state law that mirrors federal law. Currently federal law says it's illegal to:

• Bring Illegal Aliens Into US (Sec. 273. [8 U.S.C. 1323])
  • To Harbor Illegal Immigrants (Sec. 273. [8 U.S.C. 1323] )
  • To Employ, Recruit, or Refer Illegal Aliens for Jobs (Sec. 274A. [8 U.S.C. 1324a] )
  • To Forge Documents for Illegal Immigrants (Sec. 274C. [8 U.S.C. 1324c] )
  • To Aid or Abet Illegal Immigrants ( Sec. 277. [8 U.S.C. 1327] )

And as for the profiling, there's this federal law

(1) an understanding of the English language, including an ability to read, write, and speak words in ordinary usage in the English language

8 USC § 1423 (a)(1)

So if you get pulled over for speeding and you can't read your own driver's license or speak and read English enough to discuss the citation, you're obviously not a US citizen. You better have paperwork that shows why you're here in the country.

I see these types occasionally here in Dallas. I never suspect someone of being an illegal immigrant just because they're brown skinned. The profiling doesn't begin until they open their mouth to speak. When they can't answer a simple question about the time of day you know right a way they're as illegal as a liquor store on Sunday down here.

• posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:15 PM
    link   

Whoa see that jump in logic? from yes I don't want it to what else is there to do?

I got a solution, Any illegal wants citizenship, fine, First English, than Army 2 year min, than your a citizen, problem solved.

I am a Hispanic living near San Diego, and my family can trace its linage back to the first Spanish missions in the area. So as a Citizen I should not have to worry that I need to have my ID on me or Ill get harassed while in AZ.
    edit on 25-4-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

I wasn't jumping anything. Just proposing what will absolutely happen if the DREAM Act is put into place like so many vacuous idiots want it to be. We can enforce the laws, as Arizona is doing, we can completely ignore them, like the federal government is doing (thus leaving everyone in limbo), or we can give them citizenship for free. Pick one. If it's the latter, then what I said will happen...will happen.

I do believe your idea some sort of military or public service would be a good way to get citizenship. The best, of course, is the system that's been in place and working fine for 130 years or so.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:18 PM
    link   
    reply to post by benrl

If they say it is ok for this then we are now just one step from ZIG BUSH er OBAMA er MITT, we will have the right to show that we are a US Citizen, we will have the right to be searched with out cause, we will have the right to have no rights as set forth in the bill of rights, and the law will have the right to enforce the law any way they see fit,...Halt! Papers pleas?!,

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:20 PM
    link   
    reply to post by dbates

Thats funny cause I have friends whose parents spoke very little English, who guess what, are just as much citizens as you and I having been born here.

and you know thats kinda of the point of a Representative democracy as opposed to straight up democracy, so that the Majority (English speakers) can't gang up on the Minority (non English speakers in this case) and decide to discriminate against them, as that is what happens in a true democracy (mob rule).

I am all for assimilation but that aspect of your argument is not true.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:26 PM
    link   
    FANTASTIC. Good luck to Arizona.

America and her TAXPAYERS cannot SUPPORT them any longer. The 'trickin & milkin' of our system must end ASAP. The drop in wages and loss of jobs caused by illegal aliens should be enough to cause OUTRAGE among American workers. Not to mention all of the MURDERS on record caused by ILLEGAL aliens who shouldnt have been here in the FIRST place. MURDERS that should NOT have even occurred at all.

If ILLEGAL aliens REFUSE to LEAVE this country, or become LEGAL citizens of this country via LEGAL process (and start paying TAXES like the rest of us are forced to do) then GOOD RIDDANCE to them CRIMINALS.

If these CRIMINALS would just LEAVE the country or just become LEGAL, there wouldnt be any need for what Arizona is seeking to pass here. All the blame for any SLIGHT inconvenience to brown folks there that this law may cause needs to be properly directed to the CRIMINALS here and not those who are trying to make things RIGHT in Arizona.

And anyone who has the audacity to defend a CRIMINAL, such as they, should be ashamed of themselves.

I despise criminals and these CRIMINALS have got to go, one way or another...
    edit on 25-4-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:29 PM
    link   
    When it comes to immigration law it has nothing to doing the right thing it has everything to do with the left trying to secure the largest voting block in this country.

Which is why the left uses the Department of Injustice and Block any state Right powers to deal with their own issues.

Supreme court ruled just the way they are suppose to without politics thuggery, and bias.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:39 PM
    link   

I am all for assimilation but that aspect of your argument is not true.

Hey, I'm just citing federal law. As an American citizen you should be able to understand English and even though you might be a citizen you're going to raise some eyebrows if you can't answer simple questions in English.

We've had the same outcry of racism here in the Dallas area. Most of the surrounding cities have passed laws that say your car gets towed if you can't show proof of insurance but no one pulls you over just to check your insurance. You only get asked for the paperwork if you're pulled over for something else. The Arizona law will work the same way. If police pulled over everyone that looked brown they wouldn't get to do anything else at all. A large portion of the police are probably of Hispanic descent and everyone here in the South is used to seeing Hispanic people at every corner and stoplight. Hispanics are a majority in Texas schools and whites are the minority.

They're a majority of the population in several parts of the state in Arizona so this profiling complaint is just whitewash for people who want the illegals here. "See a brown man, pull him over" is a totally non-realistic viewpoint.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:39 PM
    link   
    You mean the president and Justice Dept. may not be able to bully the Supreme Court?

Bully for them!

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:44 PM
    link   
    If the news about Mexicans sneaking back across the border to Mexico is true, then it would seem we have a little less of a problem to worry about. Seems Mexico has more to offer than the US does now, job and financially speaking.

Who'da thunk it?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:33 PM
    link   
    Here's a story about how the parts that were not blocked by a federal judge.

Some things seem to actually be working.

Maybe the Feds should look at this.

(CNSNews.com) – As the U.S. Supreme Court prepares to hear arguments for and against four parts of Arizona’s anti-illegal immigration bill, which were signed into law two years ago, its lead author said the six portions that were not blocked by a federal judge have already had a positive impact in the state.

Arizona’s “Support Our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhoods Act” (SB 1070) was signed into law by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer in April 2010. The U.S. Justice Department is challenging Arizona to try to stop the law, as are other groups. A federal judge of the Ninth District issued a temporary injunction against four parts (out of 10) of the law in July 2010, and the case has now reached the U.S. Supreme Court.

At a press conference on Tuesday on Capitol Hill, former State Senator Russell Pearce said that the law has achieved several of its goals, including the voluntary departure of thousands of illegal aliens from Arizona, a reduction in crime and prison population, and a shrinking number of students in Mesa Public Schools that led to the closure of 13 elementary schools.

SB 1070 Author: Law Has Already Led to Thousands of Self-Deportations, Lower Crime Rates, 13 School Closings

Pearce said that statistics from the Department of Homeland Security and other groups show that between 100,000 and 200,000 illegal aliens have voluntarily left the state since most of it went into effect in 2010.

“We have a violent crime rate drop by three times that of the national average,” Pearce said. “My school district – Mesa – the largest school in the state, can close 13 elementary schools because of the declining population in K-12, out of neighborhoods known for high concentrations of illegals.”

“Our prison population’s on the decline for the first time in the history of the state of Arizona,” Pearce said, adding that there are about 2,500 fewer inmates in Arizona prisons today than there were before the law went into effect.

Another point to think about is Janet Napolitano is a former Governor of Arizona (2003 to 2009) and she was Arizona Attorney General (1999 to 2002).

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:42 PM
    link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

Asking people for ID is NOT racial profiling.

Hell, we get ID'd if we want to buy cigarettes or booze, why is everyone so alarmed at American police having the power to ID citizens?

Almost every other country in the world requires you to produce ID if stopped by police, no ID = BIG trouble.

Why is this such a hard concept for Americans to understand?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join