It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism promotes Nihilism

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

Of course they are,

But then I'd have to question how much they've really researched there beliefs, and if they truly understand what they are placing faith in.....

Of course certain people are influenced by there culture, not every person on earth has access to internet and unbiased information like us, for example north korea.

For people who have never heard the Gospel or been exposed to the Truth, God will judge accordingly.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321
Apparently you've never had the experiences, I'm sorry for that....keep seeking, you'll find Truth.

I've had more experiences then I can count.

I've had OBE's since birth. I've had premonitions and "forces" stopping me from doing things.

I feel presence around me all the time and someone/some thing guiding me.

Just because I know from personal experience - - there is more going on then what we "see/touch" - - still doesn't mean the existence of god.

I still do not believe in a god.

I do believe a variety of more advanced off-planet beings are involved with earth/humans.

I do not believe in an omnipotent mystical being.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

That's the problem though.

I believe in aliens, I believe in ghosts, I believe in spiritual entities, I believe in demons and I believe in angels.

The bible attest to all of them, and tells us exactly what they all are.

I find it comedic people don't have any qualms entertaining the thought of E.T's existing and ghosts roaming earth alongside us, but completely shut out the idea of their Creator......

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I don't agree with the premise at all. An atheist with children and maybe even grand children has lots of reasons to care about his/her life, morality, etc.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
You know what, this is why I refuse to call myself a Christian even though I believe.

I'm sick and tired of the religious people constantly demonizing people who don't believe, as well as scapegoating people who don't believe.

It just seems to me that all this Christian/theist versus religion is a bunch of crap.

Atheists are no real threat to Christians, and Christian just can not be any real victims at the hands of atheists.

You Christians should really learn to stop worrying about what other people believe.

You are the ones who started this nonsense. You've been demonizing people who don't believe in God for almost two millenia now.

Grow up and stop the nonsense. Let people be and people will let you be.

That's the thing about the idiot paranoids, is they often are responsible for creating any situation they are afraid might rise.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

God commands otherwise, so I must agree to disagree.

If noone hears the Gospel, what good does the Gospel do?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

That's the problem though.

I believe in aliens, I believe in ghosts, I believe in spiritual entities, . .

Demons and Angels are biblical terms. What is a ghost? What is a spiritual entity?

I did not use the term aliens.

I stated: "Off Planet Being". Real beings - like us. Only more evolved/advanced. Could there be "dimensional" beings? I suppose so - - but still "beings".

Pretty simple. Humans explaining something they can't really explain - - because its beyond their knowledge understanding.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

A ghost is a rephaim or a dead human's spirit that is roaming between the Sheol and the earth realms,
ghosts can also be demonic spirits posing as human spirits

An alien is a fallen angel or nephilim spirit, these celestial beings inhabit other planets in the universe and "visit" humanity often.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Of course they are,

But then I'd have to question how much they've really researched there beliefs, and if they truly understand what they are placing faith in.....
Which is what I do with you...

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Iason321

Where in the Bible does God command you convert people?

And of course you would disagree because your religion overrides your sense of common courtesy.

Which is to not give unsolicited advice or proselytization.

Yes, I know you have to ignore this. Your kind can't help yourself you have to go where you're not wanted.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Mark 16:15 ESV / 96 helpful votes

And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.

Exodus 4:10-12 ESV / 54 helpful votes

But Moses said to the Lord, “Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent, either in the past or since you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and of tongue.” Then the Lord said to him, “Who has made man's mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak.”

2 Timothy 2:15 ESV / 38 helpful votes

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

2 Timothy 3:16 ESV / 36 helpful votes

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

1 Corinthians 1:17 ESV / 32 helpful votes

For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

1 Corinthians 2:13 ESV / 30 helpful votes

And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual.

1 Corinthians 1:21 ESV / 28 helpful votes

For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.

2 Timothy 2:16 ESV / 27 helpful votes

But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness,

1 Corinthians 2:1-8 ESV / 24 helpful votes

And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. ...

James 3:1 ESV / 23 helpful votes

Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.

Mark 1:15 ESV / 17 helpful votes

And saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”

1 John 1:1-10 ESV / 15 helpful votes

That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we looked upon and have touched with our hands, concerning the word of life— the life was made manifest, and we have seen it, and testify to it and proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and was made manifest to us— that which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. And we are writing these things so that our joy may be complete. This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. ...

1 Corinthians 1:18 ESV / 14 helpful votes

For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

1 Corinthians 1:27-29 ESV / 10 helpful votes

But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.

2 Corinthians 3:12 ESV / 9 helpful votes

Since we have such a hope, we are very bold,

Matthew 4:17 ESV / 9 helpful votes

From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

1 Thessalonians 2:3-12 ESV / 8 helpful votes

For our appeal does not spring from error or impurity or any attempt to deceive, but just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts. For we never came with words of flattery, as you know, nor with a pretext for greed—God is witness. Nor did we seek glory from people, whether from you or from others, though we could have made demands as apostles of Christ. But we were gentle among you, like a nursing mother taking care of her own children. ...

Galatians 1:6-10 ESV / 8 helpful votes

I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I s

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I can cite many more verses and also cite many PhDs and scholars who would agree,

Is that needed? Or have I made my point clear?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I can cite many more verses and also cite many PhDs and scholars who would agree,

Is that needed? Or have I made my point clear?
Knowing that many of these biblical stories were passed down orally for a few thousand years before the written language, and knowing that there are NO original copies of the scriptures available to us (only copies of copies of copies), knowing that man is fallible, knowing that scriptures have been edited, books added to and removed from the bible, verses added to and removed from the bible, knowing that this god allows these things to happen (which means he would allow these things to happen since the beginning since he doesn't change), how can you trust any of it to be accurate?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
This is one proposition that I can somewhat agree with. I think that while Atheism does not necessarily lead directly to nihilism, it definitely seems like it would contribute significantly to such a mindset.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

two things i don't understand about the True Believers on ATS;
1) why are you so fascinated with atheism and why atheists reject god? can't you just be confident in your beliefs and let me be confident in mine?
2) how does the lack of a creator deity automatically make life devoid of all meaning? can't you think of anything meaningful in life besides worshipping a "god?"

I'm an atheist and I live a moral life. I justify my morality with a simple game of cause and effect. If i perform Action A, instead of Action B, will my life be better for it? Now if you're not a completely obtuse moron, you come to the conclusion that immoral behavior leads to isolation, alienation and scorn. if I want to live an easier life full of cooperative people who wish to help me, I must be cooperative and helpful to those people first. If i wish to live a lonely and painful life, i should just keep being a dick.

Also, the whole meaning behind my life was to produce offspring, show them love and teach them how to survive in this world so that our entire species might flourish. That's it. whether there's a god or not has absolutely no bearing on my life whatsoever.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

edit on 25-4-2012 by RicoMarston because: double

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman
Knowing that many of these biblical stories were passed down orally for a few thousand years before the written language, and knowing that there are NO original copies of the scriptures available to us (only copies of copies of copies), knowing that man is fallible, knowing that scriptures have been edited, books added to and removed from the bible, verses added to and removed from the bible, knowing that this god allows these things to happen (which means he would allow these things to happen since the beginning since he doesn't change), how can you trust any of it to be accurate?

On top of that, the intellectually lazy tend to attribute their own sayings to a higher power in order to justify them. It's right there in my signature.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Sounds like the kind of life where you would just kill yourself and get it over with. Without hope, life isn't worth living. You live your entire life only to end in a hole and be forgotten where no one gives a damn about you. Thats absolutely sad.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

I look at that as one of two possibilities.

Sheol has different realms, and my belief on sheol are evolving, but I think there's some truth to a conscious place of torment, although I'm not sure how many are kept there, but I think there's also different realms of sheol, I believe there is some sort of "outer" area where human spirits (rephaim) are trapped, roaming in between sheol and the earth (when they enter the earth realm, they are what we call ghosts), I also think there's "tartaroo" which is the pit where people are kept in conscious agony, and there's also possibly an area that you describe and that I believed in when I believed annihilationism - that is, a place where souls are simply unconscious and cease to exist.

I hope and pray most souls who enter sheol go into the last "realm", or non existence.

I fear many end up in the "outer" areas / limbo or the pit though...especially after investigating different interpretations of Sheol, the theology of hell, and NDE reports / first hand experiences......

God help us

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Sheol is just "the abode of the dead". Everyone who dies ends up there without Christ. Point blank it's 6 feet under the ground, the darkness of death, eternal darkness...akin to oblivion. There's also Gehenna, where the trash is taken, awaiting to be burned up and destroyed. Gehenna was a trashdump in ancient times where people would dump their trash and the people who took care of the burning would take boiling oil or pitch and light the edges of it and it looked like a "lake of fire".

Could be sheol is where the dead who are found wanting are stored to go await their turn at the trashdump, in the asshole of the universe. This fits with most modern people's idea of what "hell" is.
edit on 25-4-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join