It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Storm Corrosion - Drag Ropes - Best Music Video Ever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
We are now just a few weeks away from the release of Storm Corrosion's self-titled debut album and they have just released their first music video. For those who don't know Storm Corrosion it is a collaboration between two of the most brilliant musicians in the world today, Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt.

Steven Wilson is primarily known for his work with British prog rock band Porcupine Tree but also performs in a number of other bands including No-Man, Blackfield, and his own solo project. He has also collaborated with such artists as Marillion, Yoko Ono, and Fish. On top of this he is also a talented producer with his most well known work probably being Opeth's Blackwater Park. If that weren't enough he can also pretty much play any instrument he picks up with amazing skill.

Mikael Akerfeldt is best know as the lead guitarist and vocalist for Swedish prog metal band Opeth. He has also recorded with Katatonia, Bloodbath, and Steel while his list of guest appearances reads like a Who's Who of prog metal bands. While he is a skilled guitarist where he really shines is in the vocal department. Many who are familiar with his work rate both his harsh and clean vocals as some of the best in the world.

Storm Corrosion comes as a conclusion to a "trilogy" started with Opeth's Heritage and Steven Wilson's Grace for Drowning both released last year. As for this music video, words really can't describe it. If ever there were a music video that could be described as art I would say this is it. The song perfectly captures the mood of the story we see unfold in front of us. Despite the dark and moody tone of the song it's surprisingly catchy. When I first heard it I thought there was no way that it would work without the video only to find it stuck in my head the rest of the day. I think at this point I've said enough. So here for you viewing and listening pleasure is the debut video from Storm Corrosion, "Drag Ropes." Enjoy.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Wow..that was extraordinarily beautiful.
The video was sublime as well.
I had no idea these guys were collaborating.
One for my music collection for sure.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
That was sad ]: what was the chemical he put in the sack though?

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I have been waiting eagerly with baited breath ever since this collaboration was first mentioned a couple years back.

If I remember correctly it was to originally include the drummer Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater fame.

I have just gotten the Storm Corrosion album,listening to it for the first time as we speak and I must say half way through it is everything I could of hope for and expected from these two musical geniuses.

Epic,ambient,whimsical,ethereal,moody and somber are the words that I would use to describe this album.

Laden with passages of aural beauty... we have piano,mellotron,guitar both acoustic and electric,bass and all accompanied by somberly haunting vocals.

Vocal harmonization here should be applauded,the production work of Wilson is something to behold not to take away form the individual solo vocals,which in themselves are great.

Akerfeldt's soulful guitar tones/melodies are immediately apparent throughout with a few guitar passages of what could be best defined as a hybrid of blues & folk with a touch of his Scandinavian unique signature that he is known for.

The entire album flows seamlessly as if it were one long track,although individual songs can be enjoyed,I recommend listening to this album from start to finish,becoming lost within it's aural beauty and bliss.

I have always thought that Wilson and Akerfeldt when paired together on prior Opeth albums 'Blackwater Park','Deliverance' and especially apparent with 'Damnation' meshed well musically and vocally.

Now with 'storm corrosion' there can be no doubt that the pairing of their vocals together,separate on individual tracks and the sonically diverse marriage of both their own influences and unique styles together is nothing short of amazing.

With the combination of their influences bouncing off of one another-Porcupine Tree's 'In Absentia' being the first album to experiment with a more "metal" influenced approach to Wilson's music,followed by 'Deadwing' and 'Fear of a blank planet'.

You could argue that Opeth's latest release 'Heritage' echoes shades of Porcupine Tree/Wilson influence,among Akerfeldt's love for 70's progressive rock.

I have been fortunate and lucky enough to have met both Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt,Wilson after a Porcupine Tree concert at their tour bus and Akerfeldt at a cd signing. (I had 'still life' signed,it was stolen from me a few years latter
)

Both were complete gentlemen,humble and friendly. Wilson took the time to answer a couple questions,sign autographs and take pictures.It will always go down as one of the best experiences of my life,to meet one of my favorite musicians.

Wilson and Akerfeldt are some of the most creative & talented musicians to ever grace music,of any genre or time period.

I do hope that this is not a one off project.I would love to see this collaborated project continued in the future.

edit on 27-4-2012 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

I'm holding out hope that they'll someday do an album with Arjen Anthony Lucassen. We already know Akerfeldt can work well with him and I can see the style Arjen displays in some of his darker songs fitting in well with their sound.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by PerfectPerception

I'm holding out hope that they'll someday do an album with Arjen Anthony Lucassen. We already know Akerfeldt can work well with him and I can see the style Arjen displays in some of his darker songs fitting in well with their sound.

Ah Ayreon,I love their albums...Great conceptual themes and stories.Arjen has just about worked with the whos who of the metal/progressive rock scene.I could definitely see Wilson collaborating with him,only problem I could ever foresee,is someone else other than Wilson doing the production.I wonder if he would go for that? some musicians are very finicky about such things.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
HAIL Wilson !!
HAIL Åkerfeldt !!
HAIL Hoile !!

There is nothing more to say in here because it would top Herbie's Dune saga for miles

Edit: Ov course S&F
edit on 29-1-2013 by Snaffers because: I moron :p

top topics

join