It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sum up your belief in God in one quote.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trolloks
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Ok, so i shouldn't quote Nietzsche? I am a fan of his, i am a grad philosophy student, and yes he has a point when it comes to logic being man made, much like the ideal of God being man made, God was made because it fitted with the logic of the makers of God at that time. They couldn't explaine certain things, so they assume, by their logic, that a supreme being/divine being created it, or is responsible for it, and so on.

Just remember where logic has got us in the past. Sacrifices, for an example, were done because the people believed, by their logic, that their God was unhappy with them, and to solve this, by their logic, slaughtering a peasent would please the God, thus creating rainfall.

Logic is man made, Logic is dangerous and logic should always be questioned. After all, it's only logical.

Let me remind you what Nietzsche said about logic (and why he had zero):

Friedrich Nietzsche provides a strong example of the rejection of the usual basis of logic: his radical rejection of idealisation led him to reject truth as a "mobile army of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms—in short ... metaphors which are worn out and without sensuous power; coins which have lost their pictures and now matter only as metal, no longer as coins". His rejection of truth did not lead him to reject the idea of either inference or logic completely, but rather suggested that "logic [came] into existence in man's head [out] of illogic, whose realm originally must have been immense. Innumerable beings who made inferences in a way different from ours perished".Thus there is the idea that logical inference has a use as a tool for human survival, but that its existence does not support the existence of truth, nor does it have a reality beyond the instrumental: "Logic, too, also rests on assumptions that do not correspond to anything in the real world".

This position held by Nietzsche however, has come under extreme scrutiny for several reasons. He fails to demonstrate the validity of his claims and merely asserts them rhetorically. Furthermore, his position has been claimed to be self-refuting by philosophers, such as Jürgen Habermas, who have accused Nietszche of not even having a coherent perspective let alone a theory of knowledge. George Lukacs in his book The Destruction of Reason has asserted that "Were we to study Nietzsche’s statements in this area from a logico-philosophical angle, we would be confronted by a dizzy chaos of the most lurid assertions, arbitrary and violently incompatible". Extreme skepticism such as that displayed by Nietzsche has not been met with much seriousness by analytic philosophers in the 20th century. Bertrand Russell famously referred to Nietzsche's claims as "empty words" in his book A History of Western Philosophy.

Logic ~ Wikipedia

"Empty words" indeed, from a man who spent his last days screaming out verses in the King James Bible, when he chose to make a noise at all. Referring to Nietzsche as some sort of icon of logic and reason is like referring to Adolf Hitler as some kind of icon for Zionism and champion of the Jews as God's chosen people.

edit on 25-4-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Love.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ofNight

Myself and god have an Understanding

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

"Furthermore, his position has been claimed to be self-refuting by philosophers, such as Jürgen Habermas, who have accused Nietszche of not even having a coherent perspective let alone a theory of knowledge. "

That about sums up Nietszche the nincompoop pretty well.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

HAHAHAH!

I just read your last statement about the comparison of the nincompoop to that of hitler,

and I laughed out loud hysterically!

That was genius friend, pure genius!

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Btw:

Another example of Nietzsche's absurd ideas and arguments is he used human language to argue and express his opinions, a mad-made construct, yet he mocked the idea of "logic and rational thought" as being a man-made construct therefore irrelevant to form his opinions logically.

The dude was completely insane.

edit on 25-4-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321

HAHAHAH!

I just read your last statement about the comparison of the nincompoop to that of hitler,

and I laughed out loud hysterically!

That was genius friend, pure genius!

Read the last one I just made.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
"Jesus loves me, this I know for the Bible tells me so."

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
"Please God, save me from your followers."

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
"See I don't worry about the little things: bees, trees, whales, snails. I think we're part of a greater wisdom than we will ever understand. A higher order. Call it what you want. Know what I call it? The Big Electron." The Big Electron...whoooa. Whoooa. Whoooa. It doesn't punish; it doesn't reward; it doesn't judge at all. It just is. And so are we. For a little while." - George Carlin

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Me... I am my own God.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
"Why do people finally acknowledge GOD in anger shaking their fist at him when their loved one lays dying in their arms, or why do people finally cry out and acknowledge GOD in fear when they're hanging on for dear life by the tips of their fingers?" Why acknowledge GOD then? Choose this day whom you will serve.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by rabidjackrussell

There's an excellent Proverb describing this....give me a minute to find it

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by rabidjackrussell

Proverbs 1:22-33

22How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?

23Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.

24Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;

25But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:

26I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;

27When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.

28Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:

29For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD:

30They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof.

31Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.

32For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them.

33But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.

There we go!

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
As an agnostic this seems to be the best quote that resonates with me:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Sum up quantum chromodynamics in a single letter please.

If you can do that, then I might think that summing up God in a phrase is even remotely possible.

The only thing that I can think of that sums up the true God is: "God is love".

There are many false Gods (or concepts of God) where God is not love, don't be confused.

edit on 25/4/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

"God is dead, we killed him" - Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead" - God

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

"God is dead, we killed him" - Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead" - God

Yes. I believe God was quoted saying that in the New York Times.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by hudsonhawk69
Me... I am my own God.

YES!

And I am mine...

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
You see what you want to see you believe what you want to believe. The story/program writes it's self.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join