It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Govt. Overreach! Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtap66
A minute of research can be beneficial.

www.labor.gov...

"The proposed regulations would not apply to children working on farms owned by their parents."

Calm down.

(I love how overreaching government is purely "the left". Apparently some folks were asleep the 8 years prior to "the left" inhabiting the White House.)

That is true, but it does not change the fact this will drive more of our food production outside the US. We become a country that can't grow it's own food at a competitive price. If that does not bother you, what would?

Do we want to be dependent on others for our own food supply? We already are. Some of the best land on earth to grow food is sitting idle while we eat the horrible products coming from Central and South America.

Being raised on farms and ranches, I know how crappy the produce is now. Sadly young people don't know they are buying garbage every time they walk into a stores produce dept. Most have never tasted a good Peach or tree ripened fruit grown on good soil. Finding a good cluster of grapes is almost impossible and why? Growing good produce takes the same effort as growing bad produce. Our suppliers don't care; they are not eating it.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I was raised on a ranch in the middle of Southern New Mexico farmland. When my old man ran out of crap for me to do on the ranch, he loaned me out to the neighboring farms for such fun tasks as pulling goathead weeds and picking chiles. I have little doubt that the reaction to this law in the farming and ranching communities as well as from the 4H and FFA mentors will be "Oh well" *middle finger in the air towards DC* "Kids, get back to work." Really, that's how it should be. Rural America gets less ruffled over pure crap like this than urban America does. After all, if you sweat yourself worrying about following America's stupid laws, you'll waste all day just sweating.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

That life is no more. The first thing our new neighbor did when I was a child, was send all his kids to help me clear the field for spring planting and then I helped with theirs. We did that all the time. They became my Brothers along with all the other kids in the area.

Sad that life is gone.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
THIS IS NOT A CHILD SAFETY ISSUE!!! THIS IS A MONEY ISSUE!!!

I have written about this before. IMO Monsanto is behind this.

Being part of a family farm means the family works on the farm. Long before I was 9 years old, I plowed fields, drove tractors, gathered eggs, cleaned barns, milked cows and scooped $h!t before and after school. During the summer we walked 160 acres of beans row by row to put out the best crop. Without family help, the family farm cannot survive. This is not a safety issue. This is the government controlling the farmer's money and trying to put him out of business. I will bet this law changes once all the farms are destroyed and we are put in work camps on corporate Monsanto farms.

When harvest time arrived, we worked along side the adults on everyone's fields. It was not just the family's farm we worked, it was the other farms in the community. It was payback for help received or to be received.

I truly believe Monsanto is trying to completely take over the food industry.When they find a farm who has been cross pollinated by their GMO products, they try to seize it. Monsanto Sues This is just the first step.

Eventually, they will start controlling livestock as GMA and the family farm will be gone.

I firmly believe Monsanto is one of the most evil corporations on the planet. Every country is now starting to ban GMO's except the U.S. because our Congress is bought and paid for by them.
edit on 25-4-2012 by Nite_wing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Government can just keep their
nose out of everyone's business.
The Amish have there way of doing things
let them do their thing... They already have to abide
by laws already in place, it is not like they can work there 4
year old in the field to death and get away with it...
Get real people this is a huge power grab..
The things this government is proposing
are draconian measure bull crap..

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Just when you think you've heard it all.

What's next, they going to make eating and raising your own kids illegal?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
Just when you think you've heard it all.

What's next, they going to make eating and raising your own kids illegal?

Well eating your own kids is probably illegal. Sorry had to bust on the grammar there you left it wide open. My best friend grew up on a farm I used to spend most of the summer there and weekends during school. Sucked but it taught me work ethic. I suppose the gov wants less people who can do for themselves as well as it wants to drive family farms off the map. I say fire the government. Give the positions to kindergarteners and there would be much more intelligence and competence in the government.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Although most of the individual facts are straight I guess I read about this a while back and these rules are only for people who are not members of the family. Farmers family members are completely excluded from these "suggestions" which are to labor regulate other folks working. Farm family members have always been excluded from the laws governing farm labor, and even child labor in the past.
If you run into a gross infraction of labor laws and discover child laborers or children dealing with hazardous materials chemicals or equipment I guess we would hold these agencies responsible for no oversight so it is a fine line they have to tread. One thing you can be pretty sure is if there is a law that seems to protect someone there are cases in the past where lives in this line of work HAVE been abused and someone needed protecting and didn't get it. Many stories have two sides.
edit on 25-4-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Wow , this really caught my attention!
These kids are , in my opinion , so much better off in every possible human way for having been raised on a farm and being an integral part of it's day to day workings.
As someone stated , they are more than hard-working , also they are busy, physically more fit , very intelligent , skilled and well rounded individuals.
Would you agree that America was built on this strong , family driven ,push your sleeves up and everyone pitch in way of life?
I certainly envy these farms and families. They may have had to work hard and had less time for shenanigans that some would say most of our youth should experience but it really did make them better in the long run.

What is happening to our country? I know the answer , power and money , of course.
Keep the people down , give them a short leash , the illusion of freedom and reap the benefits from their planned from birth lives , it's disgusting , and yet I feel that we are powerless, I hate to say that but it just feels truer than anything I've ever been certain about. That's another discussion entirely but we need to get organized for starters . together...not a leader but a team to show us the way and the things we need to do to get something rolling.
The PTB seem to be pushing that envelope harder and harder and we begrudgingly follow....

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by MichiganSwampBuck
I wonder if they will be using this against the Amish? (Of course they will!) If they do come down on the Amish and other rural religious communities I wonder if we will even hear about it? People around here generally look down on the Amish and their horse drawn buggies. However, many also do business on a regular basis with the Amish farms. What about their right to their religious beliefs?

I don't think they can. Without a SSN (which the amish shun) an amish individual is exempted from dern near every UCC legal regulation that you or I are.
Makes me want to give that stinking number back. It 'is' the number of the beast.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
the method used to destroy a culture or a society or a nation is to destroy it's agricultural base.

Just ask the plains peoples.

It feels like war against the American people.

These bastards must be destroyed.

It is what I think.
It is what I feel.
This is not a position to back down from.

This isn't Government. These are enemies of the Republic.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Awesome !

My dairy is primarily staffed with high-school kids.

I have 2 full time employees (for whom I provide benefits) - the rest; high-school kids. They primarily are paid in experience and cash. Wonder if milkers are prohibited in this.

My profit margin is about 7-10% if I have to hire adults either the price will go up or I will fold. Perhaps that's the goal - then we can all have milk from the factory (government sanctioned) farms. My cows/goats are hormone and antibiotic free range grass fed...all organic dairy. Ever seen a factory dairy - docked tails, standing in thier own # and eating who knows what protien.

Where was a person who makes this stuff up raised?

I think they just want us all living in the city ala Agenda 21. All stacked on top of each other taking public transport in some kind of Liberal Utopia. They even want to raise the driving age to 18. My daughter has been driving a tractor since she was about 6 - truth be told she’s a better excavator than I am. Her hand-eye coord makes her fast and efficient. I mostly sit there and tune the radio.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Get rid of the Federal, and give it back to the State...Big Government is the main reason why we have an inefficient economy...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

The bureauRats never sleep. To bad most Americans have no clue that the Federal government has no jurisdiction in the states.... Sad to see what Americans will put up with

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Read John Locke's 2nd Treatise of Government

It was one of the guiding lights of our Founders.

Try to understand as completely as possible the portion on the "State of War" and his suggestion about the appeal process.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Originally posted by jibeho
The govt. taking the reigns from 4H and FFA (Future Farmers of America)! What kind of message are they sending to our kids?

The message is clear.

"You will eat what we allow you to buy".

"Food will be grown and controlled by those who we approve"

"Monsanto - No Food Shall Be Grown That We Dont Own"

Monsanto - In Bed With The Feds

The Agriculture Department is dutifully drafting a comprehensive “coexistence policy” that supposedly will diffuse tensions between conventional (chemical but non-GMO), biotech, and organic farmers. Earlier this week industry and Administration officials met in Washington, D.C. to talk about coexistence. Even though the Organic Consumers Association tried to get into the meeting, we were told we weren’t welcome. The powers that be claim that the OCA doesn’t meet their criteria of being “stakeholders.”

www.counterpunch.org...

Looks like a parasitical control virus to me. And what do we do with virus and parasite? We exterminate it.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
reply to post by jibeho

The bureauRats never sleep. To bad most Americans have no clue that the Federal government has no jurisdiction in the states.... Sad to see what Americans will put up with

The people need a reminder. Maybe print out flyers.....

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
course the government wants to force out small time farmers people growing food is dangerous since it ya know like making up money and #, dirt+ water holy # money grows on trees?, in more way then one, I'd like to see this get passed in mah state, people be on that flies on stink, but alas farming kids are smart cuz they grow up fast it's called responsibility, you know when e most important test for you 13 year old is cereal and cartoons, 100 years ago your ass be out working your own farm making your own kids and putting them to work, people has transgressed so far, i mean really 18 years old and people have no idea where Africa is, the system wants people dumb, look at public education...

Government wants drones for the workforce nothing more,nothing less.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
So Obama admin wants kids to stop doing family chores at the family farm, but expects people to volunteer instead of seeking a job at a corporation. Tell me that isn't the ultimate dichotomy.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
How long will it be then before we see a CPS team, with full SWAT backup - armoured car and guns drawn, with air cover - going in hard to snatch farmer's children because they are doing chores?

Maybe the above sounds a bit over the top and harsh, but it seems to be standard operating procedure these days for the most ridiculous situations, and unwarranted crackdowns on innocent people. Or, is it indeed now warranted for anyone who dissents in the slightest way, even peacefully, to be treated like a threat to the nation and national security? I think we are seeing the answer to that question all too often these days.

Many of these small farmers need the family to pitch in and help and cannot afford to hire people to do the work. This seems, to me at least, to be another bit of legislation drawn up to suit the big agri-business lobbyists, designed to force small farmers out of business altogether. Anyone supporting this kind of move needs removing from office, at the very least, and a sharp reminder of excatly who they are supposed to represent.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join