It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google zips their mouth about the Armenian Genocide and honors the guy that created the zipper!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   

April 24, 2012 commemorates 97th anniversary of the 1915 Armenian Genocide. Google thought it would be much better to celebrate the 132nd Birthday of the guy that invented the zipper.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by nkultra

April 24, 2012 commemorates 97th anniversary of the 1915 Armenian Genocide. Google thought it would be much better to celebrate the 132nd Birthday of the guy that invented the zipper.

Not trying to be insensitive here but genocide is such a downer, someone inventing the Zipper is a bit more lighthearted

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
The zipper was a great invention.

Now if we think a bit more metaphorically, the zipper can signifying the opening off something.

In this case it could be said, that by using the zipper on their homepage, we can indeed "unzip" the internet, and find any info we want, including the info about the Armenian genocide

If the genocide was the homepage image, it would not be very metaphorical.

vvv
edit on 25-4-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I'd rather them focus on positive things

edit on 25-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Wow the comments surprise me. Do not forget your history or you will repeat it and have a bit more respect too peeps.. It is the foundation for modern genocide. Over 1 million peeps died. May they rest in peace...

x

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Adolf Hitler, Chancellor of Nazi Germany (1933-45)

[August 22, 1939]

My decision to attack Poland was arrived at last spring. Originally, I feared that the political constellation would compel me to strike simultaneously at England, Russia, France, and Poland. Even this risk would have had to be taken.

Ever since the autumn of 1938, and because I realized that Japan would not join us unconditionally and that Mussolini is threatened by that nit-wit of a king and the treasonable scoundrel of a crown prince, I decided to go with Stalin.

In the last analysis, there are only three great statesmen in the world, Stalin, I, and Mussolini. Mussolini is the weakest, for he has been unable to break the power of either the crown or the church. Stalin and I are the only ones who envisage the future and nothing but the future. Accordingly, I shall in a few weeks stretch out my hand to Stalin at the common German-Russian frontier and undertake the redistribution of the world with him.

Our strength consists in our speed and in our brutality. Genghis Khan led millions of women and children to slaughter — with premeditation and a happy heart. History sees in him solely the founder of a state. It's a matter of indifference to me what a weak western European civilization will say about me.

I have issued the command — and I'll have anybody who utters but one word of criticism executed by a firing squad — that our war aim does not consist in reaching certain lines, but in the physical destruction of the enemy. Accordingly, I have placed my death-head formations in readiness — for the present only in the East — with orders to them to send to death mercilessly and without compassion, men, women, and children of Polish derivation and language. Only thus shall we gain the living space (Lebensraum) which we need. Who, after all, speaks today of the annihilation of the Armenians?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
While we're at it we better honour all of the notable events of April 24...

1479 BC – Thutmose III ascends to the throne of Egypt, although power effectively shifts to Hatshepsut (according to the Low Chronology of the 18th Dynasty).
1547 – Battle of Mühlberg. Duke of Alba, commanding Spanish-Imperial forces of Charles I of Spain, defeats the troops of Schmalkaldic League.
1558 – Mary, Queen of Scots, marries the Dauphin of France, François, at Notre Dame de Paris.
1704 – The first regular newspaper in the United States, the News-Letter, is published in Boston, Massachusetts.
1800 – The United States Library of Congress is established when President John Adams signs legislation to appropriate $5,000 USD to purchase "such books as may be necessary for the use of Congress".
1862 – American Civil War: A flotilla commanded by Union Admiral David Farragut passes two Confederate forts on the Mississippi River on its way to capture New Orleans, Louisiana.
1877 – Russo-Turkish War: Russian Empire declares war on Ottoman Empire.
1885 – American sharpshooter Annie Oakley was hired by Nate Salsbury to be a part of Buffalo Bill's Wild West.
1898 – The Spanish-American War: The United States declares war on Spain.
1904 – The Lithuanian press ban is lifted after almost 40 years.
1907 – Hersheypark, founded by Milton S. Hershey for the exclusive use of his employees, is opened.
1907 – Al Ahly was founded.
1913 – The Woolworth Building skyscraper in New York City is opened.
1915 – The arrest of 250 Armenian intellectuals and community leaders in Istanbul marks the beginning of the Armenian Genocide.
1916 – Easter Rising: The Irish Republican Brotherhood led by nationalists Patrick Pearse, James Connolly, and Joseph Plunkett starts a rebellion in Ireland.
1916 – Ernest Shackleton and five men of the Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition launch a lifeboat from uninhabited Elephant Island in the Southern Ocean to organise a rescue for the ice-trapped ship Endurance.
1918 – First tank-to-tank combat, at Villers-Bretonneux, France, when three British Mark IVs met three German A7Vs.
1922 – The first segment of the Imperial Wireless Chain providing wireless telegraphy between Leafield in Oxfordshire, England, and Cairo, Egypt, comes into operation.
1926 – The Treaty of Berlin is signed. Germany and the Soviet Union each pledge neutrality in the event of an attack on the other by a third party for the next five years.
1932 – Benny Rothman leads the mass trespass of Kinder Scout, leading to substantial legal reforms in the United Kingdom.
1953 – Winston Churchill is knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.
1955 – The Bandung Conference ends: 29 non-aligned nations of Asia and Africa finish a meeting that condemns colonialism, racism, and the Cold War.
1957 – Suez Crisis: The Suez Canal is reopened following the introduction of UNEF peacekeepers to the region.
1963 – Marriage of HRH Princess Alexandra of Kent to the Hon Angus Ogilvy at Westminster Abbey in London.
1965 – Civil war breaks out in the Dominican Republic when Colonel Francisco Caamaño, overthrows the triumvirate that had been in power since the coup d'état against Juan Bosch.
1967 – Cosmonaut Vladimir Komarov dies in Soyuz 1 when its parachute fails to open. He is the first human to die during a space mission.
1967 – Vietnam War: American General William Westmoreland says in a news conference that the enemy had "gained support in the United States that gives him hope that he can win politically that which he cannot win militarily."
1968 – Mauritius becomes a member state of the United Nations.
1970 – The first Chinese satellite, Dong Fang Hong I, is launched.
1970 – The Gambia becomes a republic within the Commonwealth of Nations, with Dawda Jawara as the first President.
1971 – Soyuz 10 docks with Salyut 1.
1980 – Eight U.S. servicemen die in Operation Eagle Claw as they attempt to end the Iran hostage crisis.
1990 – STS-31: The Hubble Space Telescope is launched from the Space Shuttle Discovery.
Shuttle mission STS-31 lifts off, carrying Hubble into orbit.
1990 – Gruinard Island, Scotland, is officially declared free of the anthrax disease after 48 years of quarantine.
1993 – An IRA bomb devastates the Bishopsgate area of London.
1996 – In the United States, the Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996 is introduced.
2004 – The United States lifts economic sanctions imposed on Libya 18 years previously, as a reward for its cooperation in eliminating weapons of mass destruction.
2005 – Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger is inaugurated as the 265th Pope of the Roman Catholic Church taking the name Pope Benedict XVI.
2005 – Snuppy, the world's first cloned dog, is born in South Korea.
2006 – King Gyanendra of Nepal gives into the demands of protesters and restores the parliament that he dissolved in 2002.

If you didn't know though, google themes are always birthdays...not events.

Way to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Perhaps it was because the zipper made a cool doodle !

Let's be honest, how graphic would a genocide doodle be ?

With the way things are at the moment, a little positivity goes a long way, besides we couldn't want to go giving anyone any ideas.......Kim in North Korea I'm looking at you !

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by nkultra

I think Google doesn't want to get in trouble. As the turkish government and most people are in complete denial about this genocide, in fact, it's even forbidden for scholars and historians to talk about it, as the government interprets this as being against article 301 of the turkish penal code: it's illegal to insult Turkey, the Turkish ethnicity or Turkish government institutions. That's why Youtube was banned in the nation after some videos showed up explaining that Ataturk was homosexual or at least bisexual. Same would happen to Google, if they would do a "remember the Genocide" thing and a lot of turkish people would get angry about it, as most of them are in deep denial about the Genocide, claiming it never happened.

So i can completely understand it.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I know all about the Armenian Genocide. It's place is in a history class, not google's front page. The same with any other genocide in history.
edit on 25-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
It does need to be taught in history class, sadly enough it's not. America needs the airbases in Turkey so they will not recognize the Armenian Genocide... Turkey is our footprint in the middle east.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by nkultra

State curriculum in Massachusetts requires schools to teach a unit about the Armenian genocide, the Holocaust, and other "recognized human rights violations and genocides."

www.familysecuritymatters.org...

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I wish the other 49 states would jump on board

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Yeah, and no one ever remembers the Karabagh slaughter the Armenians did to the Azeris during the early 90s, again with the support of Russia, just as they did back in WW I, when they backstabbed and attacked the Ottomans. Turkish historians do talk about the Armenian question, but ironically, no Armenian and hardly any Western historian makes use of the Turkish historic documents which is free to read for everyone. Quite objective research... not.

So called truth-seekers should listen to what other Armenians have to say. Artin Penik is a very good example:

Also, here in Germany, I know 3 Armenians, and I have a close friendship with one of them. One is from Turkey (who is invited to every Turkish wedding in our community, almost everyone knows him), one born here and one from Russia/Caucasus.

And oh, companies and firms should stay objective to this subject and should not be political by any means. Like seriously.
edit on 25-4-2012 by Kemal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by nkultra

Being serious all the time will make people crazy. A little lightheartedness does the soul good.

Besides I don't think I would want to see a genocide doodle when I go to google something.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I'm just frustrated because genocide is so brushes under the carpet. Then when it does get talked about it sounds like this.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
they should of posted an interactive genocide? i get your point but what could they have done besides recognize the horrible event

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Google and it's side kick at youtube are showing there true color's in subverting the news with so many movies being removed on Youtube that dont tow the part line and Google pushes a lot of relevant information on to the second page instead of just removing all the links to sites they don't like or are not paying to be on Google.

Google got a mere $25,000 fine the other month for spying on MAC addresses as they did street view scanning and thats like me giving you a fine of $0.00001

Time to brake this monopoly up or does the monopoly and mergers commision not have any work to do.

Google was for the people but has been brought out by the corporations and banks and sings like a pig with our personal data who they sell to the highest bidder.
edit on 26-4-2012 by Master_007 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join