It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Dont Wear Pads Down Under. Are We The Hardest? Top 5 Most Brutal Team Sport's.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

I played Rugby League when I was a kid.From the 8's to the 16's.Its a brutal game. I saw two kids snap their legs so bad that their shin bone came through the skin.I saw a heap of concussion's.If you run out on the field you know you are coming off with at least some bumps,cuts,bruises and sprig marks.

They make protection for the head called 'head gear' which is a soft padded helmet but nobody really wear's them because its frowned upon.To wear 'head gear' is a sign of weakness.It means you are scared. All we wear is a mouth gaurd and some minimal 'shoulder pads'.

Im sure that Rubgy League is the most brutal Team Sport that is played today.I would love to see an NFL game that was played without the helmets and all that armour.I would love to see a game of Rugby Union that allows the 'Shoulder Charge'.

I like the NHL.Those guys are pretty hard.I can also understand them wearing the protection they do since they can get checked into the wall.They could also crack their heads on the Ice.I also like that they often flip out and fight each other.But I think Rugby League is harder.

My top 5 most Brutal Team Sports are--

1-Rugby League
2-Rugby Union
3-Gealic Football
4-AFL(Australian Rules Football)
5-NHL (Ice Hockey)
edit on 25-4-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I don't know, to me taking risk never struck me as "brave", If I drive my car with out a seat belt does that make me "hard" or "brave, or does it just make me stupid.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Maybe it would make you Spartan-like.

I hate having to wear a helmet when I ride my Motorcycle.I also find seatbelts very annoying. Damn Nanny State (:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

I was on the freeway once, I witnessed a motorcyclist pinned between the car in front of me and a mini-van, the mans leg was severed, but thanks to a nurse a few cars back the man lived.

I still remember the imprint the mans helmet made in the van door thinking "damn that would of been his head" since than I took up riding myself, and will always wear a helmet.

But you go ahead and be "spartan" for I too am a believer in letting nature take its course, the Nanny state is ridiculous.

Far to many people being saved from their own stupidity now days, from banks and governments to average folks.

Lets remove all the warning labels and let god sort it.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Wish I could play Rugby...there aren't any leagues around me and I have gotten really out of shape since I played Football in High School.

I played some local games with friends back in the day, but nothing organized. It was fun as all hell, and yes...very brutal.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

My petrol tank.Post crash.

I hit the back of a car on a country road that pretty much just stopped in front of me to turn off the main road down a farm driveway. I came around a bend at well over 100km's an hour. I locked up the bike but couldnt stop. I must of hit it still going at leadst 80.

I was only wearing a t-shirt. I went over the cars roof and slid down the road on my back for a long way. I almost had no skin left. I jumped straight up and limped back to see how bad my bike was. You cant live scared all the time.Its good to take risks. Makes you alive.

And dont worry,it still works

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Holodomor

I was thinking of playing this year in my local team. I think Im past my prime now though
I could handle the impacts but I cant run for as long as I used to.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   

a bunch of grown men in short shorts grouping each other is far from manly

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by alkesh

You dont like short shorts?

And Ian Roberts would take great offence to your comment's. He was a proud gay Rugby League player and one of the hardest.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
How the Firetruck did Gaelic make the list??????

Every country in SE Asia has an AFL team and I play for the Malaysian one, since we only play other AFL teams maybe once a month we play against the local Gaelic team every few weeks, we play International rules and when they have a Gaelic tourny we also play in that. They dont even bump let alone tackle in pure Gaelic, in fact its against the rules. Its players may be hard but the game is pretty much as soft as Soccer.

Your obviously biased as anyone with half a brain knows AFL is the worlds toughest sport

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
How the Firetruck did Gaelic make the list??????

Every country in SE Asia has an AFL team and I play for the Malaysian one, since we only play other AFL teams maybe once a month we play against the local Gaelic team every few weeks, we play International rules and when they have a Gaelic tourny we also play in that. They dont even bump let alone tackle in pure Gaelic, in fact its against the rules. Its players may be hard but the game is pretty much as soft as Soccer.

Your obviously biased as anyone with half a brain knows AFL is the worlds toughest sport

Thats awesome.I like the Gealic guys because of how hard they play in the International Rules games against the Australian AFL team. The Aussies are pro-atheletes and lift weights all day long. They dont have to work. Those Gealic footy guys are semi-pro and I love that they always hold their own. I always cheer for them.

And yes,I am biased,I live in NSW. We dont think much of AFL around here. Alot of people call it 'aerial ping pong'. Ever notice they never punch each other? They just grab jumpers and push. Not many Pluggers in the AFL.
I will admit,those unintentional,accidental high speed collisions are pretty brutal at times. In league we look for contact.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

I used to love the Chief vs Spud. They were great old school Props.

0:35 The Chief tells Johns to kick off to Spud so the Chief can smash him. Didnt quite work out the way he wanted

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Rugby Union is my game, and I still play it.

It is a hard game mates. Injuries are fairly common, even with some headgear, and padding under the rugby jersey.

It is our national sport here in SA, and we are fairly good at it.

The southern hemisphere teams dominate rugby, SA, Aus, and NZ.

But yeah, tough hard game. You will get hurt. Like any contact sport, there are always risks.

vvv

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I wouldnt want to get stuck under a ruck. Im surprised more Union guys dont get trampled.

God you guys have alot of rules. I cant keep track of them all. Far more strategy than League. I like that.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Lol, yes mate, being at the bottom of a ruck is not the best place to be, you learn to just cover your head and face, and try to roll out of the way.

The rules can seem complicated indeed, but in reality it is not so much.

Now NFL rules to me seems almost completely ridiculous, I once watched a match, but had no idea what was happenning. lol

vvv

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

They stop so often,Im sure they have plenty of time to figure them out

I used to like EA Sorts Madden NFL so I have a pretty good grasp. I like the strategy of Gridiron. I cant watch it though. I used to when I was a kid. I liked the cincinnati bengals.

I just think they stop too much.They stand around more than anything.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Agreed, the game is not flowing. Stop, go, stop go, all the time.

The guys are also so padded up that it just looks a little silly to be honest.

vvv

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

I dont know how they can run with all that stuff on.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus

Thats awesome.I like the Gealic guys because of how hard they play in the International Rules games against the Australian AFL team. The Aussies are pro-atheletes and lift weights all day long. They dont have to work. Those Gealic footy guys are semi-pro and I love that they always hold their own. I always cheer for them.

And yes,I am biased,I live in NSW. We dont think much of AFL around here. Alot of people call it 'aerial ping pong'. Ever notice they never punch each other? They just grab jumpers and push. Not many Pluggers in the AFL.
I will admit,those unintentional,accidental high speed collisions are pretty brutal at times. In league we look for contact.

You probably guessed Im a Victorian, I spose the fact you guys call AFL aerial ping pong should be taken as a compliment, We dont even think about Rugby enough to think of a derogatory name LOL.

As a Rugby man have you kept an eye on how those 2 code jumpers are going in the AFL?
Folaeu and Hunt I think they were

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Yeah,I thought Hunt would do alot better. I think you have to play AFL for years before trying it at the top level it would seem. Both jumpers have the skills. Good with a high ball,I guess their kick isnt at AFL standard though. Neither were kickers in League. Hunt was fullback,Isreal was a winger.Not playmakers at all.

Dont get me wrong though,I enjoy AFL.Its a great game. I love how the grounds are different sizes and the home team can use that.Kinda like different size boxing rings or baseball fields. You can build a team so suit. I think thats cool. And I cheer for the Swans/Bloods. I dont watch it much,but I enjoy when I do.

League is harder though

I also like seeing the couple old AFL players that went to the NFL to show Americans how to kick a footy

top topics

<<   2 >>

join