It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As senator, Obama missed votes on student loan bill he now wants to extend

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

n 2007, then-Illinois Sen. Barack Obama missed two votes on the student loan interest bill that he now wants Congress to extend.

Obama twice skipped the Senate vote on the College Cost Reduction and Access Act when the bill came to the Senate floor first in July and again in September of 2007, according to public records.

www.politico.com...

What's that?

Obama skipped out on voting for the student bill that is just so damned important now?

I thought students were important to him?

I thought he "Cares" !

Oh just when it's an election year.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Well it is clearly obvious he's trying to woo the college kids with false hopes. Another one of his rhetoric games.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Personally i think students would rather have a job waiting for them

than just pandering to them.
edit on 25-4-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Obama is just Pandering for the Votes,,,He could careless if they go into a life of misery because they owe their Soul to the Government.
His Pandering to the Hispanic community also.
Here is Senator Obamas stance on illegals in 2008.

Barack Obama on Immigration

Junior Senator (IL); President-Elect

Obama believes the time to fix our broken immigration system is now. He is in favor of stronger enforcement at the border and at the workplace. He has properly identified the magnitude of the problem, and said that the undocumented populatio is exploding. Obama recognizes that immigration raids are ineffective, netting only 3,600 arrests in 2006.

Obama wants to remove incentives for illegals to enter the country by cracking down on employers who hire undocumented immigrants. Obama has championed a proposal to create a system so employers can verify that their employees are legally eligible to work in the US

www.issues2000.org...

Now it's time for reelection in 2012 and what is his Stance on illegals?

Obama Granting Illegals 'Unlawful Presence Waivers'

n its quest to implement stealth amnesty, the Obama Administration is working behind the scenes to halt the deportation of certain illegal immigrants by granting them “unlawful presence waivers.”

nation.foxnews.com...

Yes we could go on and on about Obama and his Lies and Pandering to the Weak Minded for Votes

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Bahh... He wasn't a Senator. He was a man positioning for President. Like Hillary was really a hard working Senator for New York.

As a College student with growing debt like everyone else, color me so unimpressed I could just sigh. Perhaps if he hadn't all but nationalized the student loan industry to begin with, I'd be more friendly about things..but his attempts to damage this area of life have already done their job.

This is a bandaid on a bullet wound to help people forget the negative he's done. Nice try..but too little and far far too late. The Student Loan debt bubble is building and it's gonna burst with MANY zeros on the end one of these days. He's not even addressing that to note it's a problem at all.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Indeed the outstanding student loan debt is near 1 trillion and cut the rates?

That isn't going to end well for the students.

Total student debt outstanding appears to have surpassed $1 trillion late last year, said officials at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, a federal agency created in the wake of the financial crisis. That would be roughly 16% higher than an estimate earlier this year by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.

online.wsj.com...

To put that into perspect Fanny and Freddy had 2.5 trillion and we all know how that turned out.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Well,more facts about Barry Obama,as his Occidental alumni classmates called him......

Personally,I believe he could care less about Students. If he truly cared,he would have created "shovel ready" part-time jobs for them,so they could pay off their loans.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

There is no question I want productive work when I graduate, not handouts for help from Uncle. If I have the work I'm going through all this to get into, the help will not only be unnecessary, it'll be an insult.

You're right. Give the nation a path to job creation and business expansion..where those jobs will exist. Keep the charity.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I dont see why its so hard to create these Jobs?

Americas infrastructure is so bad,its been given a D-. I could come up with a good plan,that would put ALL those unemployed,back to work,and make this country a shining example,to the free world. He talks a good talk,but in the end,he has NOTHING to back his grandiose "dreams".

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Property taxes fund infrastructure those are state and local federal government involvement means

union jobs funding large populated areas while leaving the little guys blowing in the wind.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Oh yeah,what the heck was I thinking.

Only way that would work,with Obama,is you would have to join a Union..................

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Personally i think students would rather have a job waiting for them

than just pandering to them.

Pandering to them? If supporting a bill that stops interest rates from doubling on student loans then they could use more pandering.

Look at how students are in debt for 10 to 15 years after graduating would people go to college if it went up to 20 to 25 years? If the price of higher education keeps going up whats left of the middle class and the poor wont be able to afford it. Housing was the last bubble the cost of higher education will be next.
edit on 25-4-2012 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Well for one not everyone is suited to go to college and it is not the only path to success in America.

Secondly College and Unversities will raise cost regardless when they know no matter what

the Government will cover it.

Schools make more money and where is the intelligence or the logic in spending 100k for and education for a job that only pays 30k?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Here's the real reason,on why tuition costs more.

The real reason why tuition has been rising so much has nothing to do with Baumol, and everything to do with the government. Page 31 of the report is quite clear: “except for private research institutions,” it says, “tuitions were increasing almost exclusively to replace losses from state revenues or other private revenue sources.”

In other words, tuition costs are going up just because state subsidies are going down. Every time there’s a state fiscal crisis, subsidies get cut; once cut, they never get reinstated. And so the proportion of the cost of college which is borne by the student has been rising steadily for decades.

Why tuition costs are rising

Government,Again........on the State level.
edit on 25-4-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

That makes a great deal of sense right there. It would be very similar to how the lottery worked out for Schools. The money went to the schools like they said...they just never told anyone that public funding would drop by equal amounts so the end result was a net draw for any benefit. Oh they are creative in how we are taken for a ride sometimes. So creative, folks actually thank them for the opportunity at times.

edit on 25-4-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
he problem is that colleges can’t pay 1980 salaries, and the only way they can pay 2011 salaries is by raising prices.

Those damn unions agian

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
It's also fair to say the BIG schools are hardly hurting on their own personal level though.

Top US Schools shown with annual endowment numbers.

Wiki isn't source.. I know..but the numbers are in many sources beyond that one and they have the more friendly user interface for sorting the columns. The top 6 for last years totals account for a rather stunning 100+ *BILLION* dollars. I wonder how that feels to a 20 something in Harvard looking at 6 figure student loan debt for the experience.

Tuition is fair..... obscene profit to the point of enslaving a generation for the opportunity to be educated is criminal.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Well for one not everyone is suited to go to college and it is not the only path to success in America.

Secondly College and Universities will raise cost regardless when they know no matter what

the Government will cover it.

Schools make more money and where is the intelligence or the logic in spending 100k for and education for a job that only pays 30k?

No it is not the only path to success but it can be the best way to get a start on the pathway.

The cost of schools has been skyrocketing for basically no reason. How can anyone explain the price of the cost going up for someone standing in front of a bunch of people talking?

Where is the intelligence and logic in demanding a degree for a job that pays 30K?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   

They have gotten worse because the Government has gotten more involved.

Oh and in the last 3 years.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
So do any of you guys support increase raising student loan rates 100%???

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join