It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billy Corgan ...Music has been played ...Artists no longer exist

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
WHAT HAS HAPPENED ..to music being revolutionary?
Corporate Interests have taken over the music industry .............

I have always been a fan of Smashing Pumpkins ...so YES I am bias .

I happen to love the fact that people in the music industry are speaking up. Have we forgotten that people in the music industry have a political point of view ?

We all know it ...music has changed ...can we define it ? How is this wrong ?

The way music has changed , is a serious conversation .

edit on 25-4-2012 by paleorchid13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
metal hasnt changed.

whats played on the radio is not music, but music has NOT died.

it has changed and progressed with technology and culture.

what is played on the radio is not music.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

what is played on the radio is not music
reply to post by XelNaga

I agree

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by XelNaga

what is played on the radio is not music.

Personally, I don't listen to radio, because 'Pop Music' sucks. It is still music though, regardless of how bad it sucks.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by paleorchid13

I am curious about what Billy has to say, but there is no way I can listen to Alex for an hour. I made it about 20 seconds in, but had to stop it as soon as Alex called him "Billy Corigan/Coregon". (Sounds like Oregon, but with a 'C')

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Real artists are still around but hard to find.

Mainstream music is no more, it is now just a business.

Lyrics today are not much better than gingles
written by advertising people with all the knowledge of psyhological triggers.

they know what sells,
not what counts.

edit on 25-4-2012 by CitizenNum287119327 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
people are making their own music still no doubt about that, and a lot of it is really good, but you will never hear most of it. we have progressed within our own little group to the point where we have enough music of our own we could listen to for hours with good enough replay value that were still listening to it days months years after we make it, you can call us whatever you like, but we are people who make music that HASN'T been played before.

I love making new music, when you create music that's never been heard before, there is nothing more satisfying.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I take Alex with a grain of salt and so does Billy ... this interview is unusual in the sense that Billy is actually allowed to express his views without Alex going all crazy

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   

I am curious about what Billy has to say, but there is no way I can listen to Alex for an hour. I made it about 20 seconds in, but had to stop it as soon as Alex called him "Billy Corigan/Coregon". (Sounds like Oregon, but with a 'C')
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Billy speaks about how freedom of expression has been suppressed via music ...Music no longer is playing a revolutionary part but encouraging a complicit point of view ..

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I'm as diehard of a smashing pumpkins/corgan fan as they come. And he's always seen the way music was headed.

Not is he the most underrated guitarist of all time, but he is also one of the best minds out there.

And he's a member of ATS. He just wouldn't say what his screen name was.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

And he's a member of ATS. He just wouldn't say what his screen name was.

Is that so ?

*blush*
edit on 25-4-2012 by paleorchid13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I watched the entire interview and found both people fascinating with real values and views to discuss.

It was good to see and hear such an open debate with slightly different views.

Top show!

For humanities sake I hope Billy is right, I fear he may not be.

P

edit on 25-4-2012 by pheonix358 because: error, error typing error. Self destruct in 10 seconds.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

It was good to see and hear such an open debate with slightly different views

stifling
That's exactly what I loved about it ....I think someone from the entertainment industry (although there have been many ) needs to talk about what the H ##$ is going on with media and the stifling of debate !

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

When every riff, every chord progression, every lyrical subject has been used over and over it's not easy to create anything new or original, that is one reason why music is in decay.
The other is technology is crippling as much as it is enabling. Rap music started out meaning something but when everybody could make a rap song it turned in to commercial crap like P Diddy.
I remember how many great black musicians there were back in the 70's and 80's - what happened? Did black kids lose all interest in learning to play instruments and take up rap? That's the only explanation that makes sense to me.
Most young people don't have the patience to learn to play that they once had (as a generality).

Corgan is a very bright guy. Other musicians whose opinions I value would have to include Zappa, Marilyn Manson, Jello Biafra and Henry Rollins. I was a fan of the Pumpkins right up until Gish, after that I think they lost their edge.
edit on 25-4-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Zappa , Marylin Manson and Henry Rollins are extremely intelligent people ....I have investigated all three and found them very fascinating people. Corgan's music struck me on a personal level that I don't feel I need to explain .....different music resonates with certain people...

Besides the fact that I am a fan , I think it's a relevant conversation .

Music seems to play a passivise role than a revolutionary one due to corporate overtake . And music has a tendency to have quite a bit of power over society.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
The state of pop music makes me Mellon-Collie, and Infinitely Sad.

Not much rebel music, not much thoughtful music, Speaking in the sense of Radio.

The Smashing Pumpkins hold a place in my heart for something I almost didn't receive for Christmas.
I was given two tickets to see them, as a gift. And then it snowed, and snowed, and snowed.
then the Temperature, in the dead of winter shot up to the mid 60's. Then, it started raining, a lot.
Our whole city was flooded. a 500 year flood of melting snow and steady rain. The "Punkins" were supposed to have a concert.
Most roads were closed, the airport was underwater.'
So, they flew to Sacramento. Schlepped all their gear onto buses and trucks. And braved the washed out roads.
They made it to Reno. they played their show. Which is still one of the best sounding shows I've heard in our town.

I could tell they were tired ,but they played a really long set. Pumpkin Heaven I think.

Another favorite band of mine, Porcupine Tree, wrote a song about the sad state of music.
So If you'll indulge me, I'll link the video, and the lyrics

Hear the sound of music Drifting in the
Elevator Prozac Stretching on for miles
The music of the future Will not entertain
It's only meant to repress And neutralise your brain
Soul gets squeezed out
Edges get blunt
Demographic Gives what you want
Now the sound of music Comes in silver pills
Engineered to suit you Building cheaper thrills
The music of rebellion Makes you wanna rage
But it's made by millionaires Who are nearly twice your age
One of the wonders of the world is going down It's going down I know
It's one of the blunders of the world that no-one cares
No-one cares enough

edit on 25-4-2012 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I can't stand Billy Corgan. Really believe that no one is making inspirational or meaningful music anymore?
I lost all respect for this man back in the 90's when he said his Melencholly album was a 90's version of "The Wall" only better. The nerve of the pompous douche

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I have been a fan of the Pumpkins and most of Billy's side projects since I was 12 (almost 30 now, jeez i'm getting old) and I have always agreed with what he has to say, especially on the deeper issues. he is certainly a very intelligent man and borders on possibly the greatest poet since jim morrison. that being said..
some of you are saying 'it's about time someone pointed out the meaninglessness of popular music these days.' i must say this has been from the mouths of greats for well over forty years, possibly longer that i am unaware of. it started with neil young, then of course, the clash and the sex pistols, all had their say on the low state of the music industry. and it goes on through to the 80's... the smiths, the stone roses, the jesus and mary chain, nirvana, all were pioneers of their time, only because they chose not to conform to what their generation considered 'popular music.' i think that's why they call it pop, it's suitable for the masses. *insert comment about sheeple here*

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

The state of pop music makes me Mellon-Collie, and Infinitely Sad.
reply to post by spacedoubt

That was cute
I was so disappointed when I was younger that Corgan came down with bronchitis and couldn't see them .

......When I finally made it to a concert in my adult life ..I was crying ...I know ..sad . But I believe music is absolutely magical .. Music is poetry of the soul .. It can do so much to soothe an aching soul and uplift people in need of good spirits. Sometimes music is an inherent kind of need and I think that by manufacturing the message behind music and suppressing artistic expression, it's really doing a disservice.

I liked your song

edit on 26-4-2012 by paleorchid13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
No one’s music has affected me as much as his… 33, Soot and Stars, Tear, Blank Page etc…There is a song for every mood.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join