It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone know how to bypass the Grub Boot to boot from CD?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Yeah I know, another stupid computer question. I am only good at the hardware section of rebuilding computers but I am slowly learning the in's and out's of Linux, Windows and Unix software systems. It takes time. Right now, too bogged down with finals.

But I am trying to run the restore disk for the emachine but grub won't let me.

I click all the F Keys and nothing happens.

Grub takes over and goes straight to the Linux boot.

I tried to delete GRUB itself but it won't let me.

Clueless, thanks.

maybe I can get my windows back up and running on the other computer.

edit on 25-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

If I'm reading it right you are trying to boot from a rescue CD and it won't. I think you need to change the boot order in the BIOS and move CDROM into the 1t position.

To get into the BIOS it's usually either the Del key, F1 or F2 key at power up. On my system the Del key takes you to the BIOS at power on. Hope it helps.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Aha knew it was one of those keys. I kept pressing F8 and F10, I'll go try that now. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
If you're putting XP on it, I think you'll also need to replace the master boot record (MBR), as that's where GRUB resides. If you're going to put Win7 on it, it will overwrite the MBR on its own.

There is no one single way to do that. It depends on what tools you have at hand. I'd recommend UBCD4WIN, or something similar--something that has a tool you can use to do the deed.

Somebody call me on this if I'm mistaken....

ETA: Sometimes there's also an F-key that will let you choose whether to start from hard drive or CD or USB stick or whatever. Usually F11 or F12. Sometimes it's F8, but, whichever it is, you have to hit it early--just after you hear the single startup beep, give the key a tap every couple of seconds or so until it comes up.
edit on 4/25/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

It should actually tell you what key you need to press to enter the BIOS unless it's been set to display a manufacturer logo. If you find the screen switches too quickly to read hit the Scroll Lock key on the keyboard (top right of keyboard usually, middle of three keys) to freeze the display for reading. Press space-bar afterwards to let the PC continue starting. Good luck.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Nope nothing, tried all 3 and still configures it to Grub

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

It should actually tell you what key you need to press to enter the BIOS unless it's been set to display a manufacturer logo. If you find the screen switches too quickly to read hit the Scroll Lock key on the keyboard (top right of keyboard usually, middle of three keys) to freeze the display for reading. Press space-bar afterwards to let the PC continue starting. Good luck.

It does but every-time I press those keys it automatically goes to grub.

link   

It could be other keys too, read my tip above, otherwise post the brand of PC and I can google it.

link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Okies doke I will try that then.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
It says to press f2 for boot options on my emachine w3503 but grub keeps taking over.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Okies doke I will try that then.

Thanks

Yeah, usually what I do is, after I hear the beep, I hit F12/F11/F8...F12/F11/F8...F12/F11/F8. If you hit them too many times it will fill the type-ahead buffer and stop to tell you that you have a stuck key. At that point you can sometimes look around the screen and find the message that tells you which F-key to hit.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
looks like f11 and f12 boot it to Realtek.

Soooooo close...........

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

It says to press f2 for boot options on my emachine w3503 but grub keeps taking over.

Hold the F2 key down. Just hold it down. Eventually it should lock up and give further instructions.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

I googled emachines (after reading your OP again) and get various answers. You do need to be quick though, hit the F10, F12, Del or some other combination before it tries to start grub.
forums.techarena.in...
pcsupport.about.com...
answers.yahoo.com...

ETA If it says F2, then F2 is what you need.

edit on 25/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Okie doke. BRB.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Grub is giving me an error 15 because I deleted it

My sister is going to be oooooh pd off

I am just horrible.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

The BIOS might look confusing if you've never been in one before. You should see various pages allowing you to change settings to things. Look for something along the lines of "Boot Order" or "Boot Devices". You need to change what it is doing now (booting from the hard disk) to booting from the cdrom.

Don't worry about deleting grub, if would happen anyway as soon as you run that restore CD. Everything tends ti get wiped in that scenario.

ETA And to get into the BIOS, my rule of thumb is slowly press the key in question repeatedly after power on until I'm in. As soon as the screen is active you should be able to get into the BIOS.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Grub is giving me an error 15 because I deleted it

My sister is going to be oooooh pd off

The GRUB can be replaced. I'd look it up, but it's way past my bedtime. Did you get into the BIOS?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I think the CD is not recognizing that it's a drive so I'm going to change the pin settings.

Nope Grub is being a pain in my tuss and won't let me get into Bios. I tried everything, even all your suggestions, but stupid Grub face plants my screen.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

If GRUB is coming up then you are hitting F2 too late.
ETA The PC startup order is you turn on the PC. the BIOS gets activated, a POST (Power On Self-Test) occurs and drives are spun up. The BIOS contains a pointer to the boot device, (usually a hard disk) and executes the boot loader found on that device. In other words, the BIOS comes first or before any operating system such as Windows, Linux or Mac. Yes, I know it all sounds fairly mind-numbing but I didn't invent the terminology.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join