It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The BEST astronomy app out there!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I found and downloaded this app to my ipod, its called Distant Suns
Distant Suns

It is the BEST astronomy app I have found to date, it gives locations, names, degrees etc of all recorded objects in the sky, including Messier's deep space catalog.
Once I oriented myself with the app and the night sky, WOW!! I sat outside for hours just looking at the sky and referring back to the app. The pictures of deep space objects shown are simply breathtaking, and the best part is it gives you ALL the info on how to find the object
Here are a few pics of the app, taken off my ipad with my ipod (LOL)

I found it worth the 9.99 I paid for the FULL version, they also have a free lite version, which is JUST as good, just doesnt come with all the bells, dings & whistles.
I have ALWAYS been into astronomy, but this has me now wanting to go out and buy a telescope to drool some more LOL

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
IMHO, this is by far the best astronomy app out there for serious amateur astronomy:
southernstars.com...
It has the largest deep sky database of any portable app, bar none. It has excellent telescope control capabilities and accessories (including wireless control southernstars.com... ), accepts data from the minor planet center for new asteroids and comets, provides satellite pass predictions, accounts for precession, nutation, aberration, proper motion, etc. It is basically as powerful as a full-featured desktop application, without a doubt it is my favorite astronomy app by far. The plus version is more pricey than other astronomy apps, but it is absolutely worth every penny if you're considering becoming a serious amateur astronomer. The pro version is as expensive as a desktop program, but for someone like me who likes to "go deep" and observe distant galaxies, it's also worth it.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Thanks, downloading the basic app now, if i like it, i'll invest in the pro

ETA: yes youre right, this IS a great app, I'm gonna hafta scrape my pennies together for the pro version, one thing i like with this is you turn the gyro 'off' and it will move the ipod's view to the correct view of the night sky

edit on 4/25/2012 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I like to try this out, thanks for posting it up, downloading now

top topics

join