It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daily Show vs O'Reilly

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
O'Reilly invites them all to come on. They refuse.

I think he was poking fun at Stewart with the stoned slacker comment. Further in talking about it, he said they had data showing that most of Daily viewers are intoxicated. O'Reilly's been on Daily before and has said several times that I've seen that he thinks Stewart is a smart guy.

I like O'Reilly. I think he's pretty fair, but he doesn't like when people dance around instead of answering the question. And I have seen him shout down the same people I would if it were me in his place, because they would not stop talking nonsense and just answer the question. I think Fox is pretty good and that they cover both sides. O'Reilly is independent anyway, so is kind of all over the place. Sometimes I agree with him and other times I don't. That's why I like him. If I agreed with him all the time then I wouldn't have a different viewpoint to chew on.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Yeah, I didn't see the show, but I figure dO"Reilly was just having some fun. After all, the stereotypical Comedy Central viewer IS a stoned slacker. True or not, any network that has Chapelle in their starting line-up gets that reputation.

Showing Half Baked non-stop a few summers ago didn't help matters

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
I haven't seen Bill Clinton, or John Kerry on The "No Spin Factor" yet they have been on Daily Show. I have seen Republicans on Daily show, and on the "No Spin Factor", but only Dems and Inds on Daily Show. Maybe Billy Boy no like people who aren't with him, like on his show when the guy said Badnarik and well, hellfire and brimstone would have gotten less of a reaction.

Actually, as O'rely said the other day, he has invited Kerry, Ted Kennedy, and many other people to his show. They all refused. It looks like it's those Dems you mentioned that don't like people who aren't on their side.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Two hybrid news programs, one of them hosted by a willfully ignorant and ungracious host. Where are his accomplishments of deed, word or erudition that would earn him the right to have guests of that caliber on the show? Those upper chiefs of his tribe are just that, of his tribe, he wouldn't dare disrespect them. But the other team? Open season!
Jon Stewart has proven himself to be an extremely gracious host, even while being forced to supress the bile when speaking to folks like O'Reilly, Karen"wears boxers" Hughes and Ed "Soul of Blackness" Gillespie.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Well, thanks Rant. It's not like I was saying that O'reily's audience is more intelligent (For those of you getting upset with me on this) or even that I was certain the survey was inacurate. All I was doing is questiong it's credibility. I guess that you guys answered my question and told me it was credible. It doesn't suprise me that more viewers of The Daily Show go to college than in O'reily's show. I mean, it's a younger audience. 30 years ago you didn't really need to go to college to succeed. Now just about everyone (at least where I live) goes to college. That doesn't show me that they're smarter, though.

Specialasian: It scares me to think that you've formed your opinions of Americans not by living here, but by what you've READ and who you've talked to... I mean, I could go around and pick out all the books that are bashing Oranges, then without ever having tried one, pile that up all that "evidence" and think that Oranges taste horribee because of all the books I've read about how bad they taste. Little did I know, there are just as many if not more books that talk about how great oranges taste.

Hell, if I went by stereotypes and propaganda, I might think that all French people are just spineless, wine drinking, surrendering crazy wacko liberal leftists! (To use quotes from the master of crazy, Rush Libaugh) But no, I'm smarter than to believe that what I've heard and read is how everyone in France really is. I know you are smarter than that too, specialasian. Don't judge us until you've actually lived here. Even then, there is so much diversity in this country that the type of people you meet might vary in between states.

[Edited on 28-9-2004 by Herman]

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by torque
I like O'Reilly. I think he's pretty fair,....

I think Fox is pretty good and that they cover both sides.

Dude do you watch the same O'reilly we see here in AUS, and are you sure your watching the same FOX news?

They are so obviously biased to the right its not funny! Every so often they ay throw in a leftists point of view to give the image of being 'fair and balance'. But in reality, it covers very little of anything else but the rebublican agenda.

HERMAN-
Are you saying what i read is propaghanda? You have no idea do you, about how much american media, culture, influence we actually get over here. Most of the TV we get is american TV, most of the books we read are American...

and the fact that most Americans didnt even know where Iraq was on a map untill GW and his coalition of thugs went in... the fact that A lot of american school kids couldnt even point to the USA on a world map, kinda undermines the worlds view of you intelligence... I'm not saying the USA wouldnt be an OK place to live, but i'd probably be embarrassed to have to tell people i lived in the USA if i did... Coz i feel for a lot of you guys here... form what i read and hear on this forum... maybe 10% of the people here have a good idea about what the rest of the world is actually about (generally those who have travelled), the rest seem to viw the world as the USA... now that to me is a culture of ignorance.

[Edited on 28-9-2004 by specialasianX]

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Daily Show baby, ha HA! I was just watching the O' Reilly factor, and he was interviewing Donald Trump about the Apprentice. And out of left field, Bill just goes "...And you are poor" with no follow-up. I was like, uhh, ok Bill, have fun with your self-indulgence. So now, I am awaiting the humor of Stewart. Stewart is the only news anchor (yes news) who has the kuhones to make fun of himself and his show and look how well it's doing. When I choose a news program, I want to feel like I'm friends with the anchor. Like if I were a guest, I'd want respect. Not that I am picking a news show to be a guest on, but I have much more respect for a show that gives, you know, respect.

On a side note, if Bill ever ran for office, he'd probably lose after calling the voters "idiots" on the first day of his campaign lol.

[edit on 28-9-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
HERMAN-
Are you saying what i read is propaghanda? You have no idea do you, about how much american media, culture, influence we actually get over here. Most of the TV we get is american TV, most of the books we read are American...

and the fact that most Americans didnt even know where Iraq was on a map untill GW and his coalition of thugs went in... the fact that A lot of american school kids couldnt even point to the USA on a world map, kinda undermines the worlds view of you intelligence... I'm not saying the USA wouldnt be an OK place to live, but i'd probably be embarrassed to have to tell people i lived in the USA if i did... Coz i feel for a lot of you guys here... form what i read and hear on this forum... maybe 10% of the people here have a good idea about what the rest of the world is actually about (generally those who have travelled), the rest seem to viw the world as the USA... now that to me is a culture of ignorance.

[Edited on 28-9-2004 by specialasianX]

Look, you have no idea what America is really like. You just like to stereotype all of us. And how many people in Austrailia know how to point out every other country on a map? Maybe the kids who are learning it at the time, but rarely can anyone just identify all the countries on a blank map of the world. I can identify a lot of them, and that's probably how most people are. Come on, you don't even live here and here you've formed these horrible opinion about us. What program did you see where the kids couldn't point out their own country on a map? Were these pre-schoolers? Were they special kids? I live here, and I know that just about any kid who's over 6 years old knows how to point out their country. Part of the kindergarten curriculum(sp?) is to know their city, state, address, zip code, telephone number, and of course their own country! You can understand why I'm getting mad here! You're insulting my country using cheap stereotypes and you've never even lived here! If it were me saying these things about your country, I'd be called racists, a biggot, prejudice, ignorant...the list goes on. I've talked to people from Australia, they were no smarter than I am.

[Edited on 28-9-2004 by Herman]

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
Not that I needed a study to tell me that. Someone who'd rather watch the funny, yet insightful Daily Show has to be brighter than someone who prefers to watch that right-wing thug O'Reilly bully his guests, tell people to shut up, cut their mikes, encourge shouting matches, then pass himself off as a journalist at the end.

As a right-leaning person, I gotta tell you I am disgusted by the likes of O'Reilly and Rush. I can certainly see where less educated people might like them. They probably can relate to their rantings. FWIW, byless educated I don't mean less schooling, but less aware of what is going on in the world.

RE; FOX news being right-wing. Lately, I find FOX saying quite liberal things and CNN having fewer liberal views (occasionally)

Edited: spelling

[edit on 28-9-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I'm not saying your dumb dude... I know your quite smart, even if your opinions differ... But the fact that you assume i know nothing about the USA... and you assume i have never lived in the USA and i never said i havent... But your right i havent, but be careful with assumptions...

I have many friends in the USA, and i know alot of people who travel there and interact with the population regualarly, and they can pretty much confirm what i've said... as for pointing out other countries on a map, most people here can, most people i know here can point to alot (not all, countries with little to no significance in world affairs like Guam, Swaziland, Chad etc etc maybe a little unknown)m but seeing as Iraq was featured alot in international news and politics pretty much all through the 90's makes it a country most people should know about...

I am basing my opinion on what i've experienced in my interactions with american people (both in person, through work, and online) and i know it doesnt apply to all of you, but your inflamed reactions doesnt change my opinion, nor will it.

If you know that americans are indeed so damned intelligent and 'in the know' that should be enough for you to sleep at night... and even if its just stereotypes, they have to come from somewhere, and maybe your country should try and present a better interantional image of its people, or if they dont want to, stop complaining when people assume your population is generally quite ignorant of the rest of the world... coz thats pretty much how most of the world see's it...

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
... as for pointing out other countries on a map, most people here can, most people i know here can point to alot (not all, countries with little to no significance in world affairs like Guam, Swaziland, Chad etc etc maybe a little unknown)m but seeing as Iraq was featured alot in international news and politics pretty much all through the 90's makes it a country most people should know about...

Well, actually, Guam isn't a country -- it's a U.S. territory.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Well, specialasian, you're entitled to your opinion. It's ok if you wanna think that Americans are ignorant and stupid. I guess I can't stop you from having an opinion! I think you should visit a good part of our country, then you'll see for yourself that we're not as dumb as other countries would love to think.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Thanks Thundercould, i should have known that i was only ready about US territories this morning :bnghd::bnghd: (who's the one who looks ignorant now)

HERMAN- I plan on visiting your country one day... only when i have a better view of it and the way it conducts its international relations... seeing as the two people most likely to take office are who they are... i think it will be at least four years though

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Man, don't let people like him taint America, remember, 51% of the people voted for democrat in 2000, so not even half of the population is like Herman and his ilk.

Yes Guam is a territory, but so is Puerto Rica and they were in the Olympics as their own country, and I think Guam was to. Not that being in the Olympics makes you a seperate country, just might give people the idea that they are.

And I stopped watching CNN, MSNBC, FOX NEWS, so forth for they are all right wing. Hell, when Badnarik's name got mentioned on the "No Spin Zone" well, Bill's reaction wouldn't have been more appauld and angry if say, Osama and Saddam busted in and shot everyone, including him.

Go Daily Show, like South Park, they go after evryone.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
"Not even half".....

49% is pretty close to half, so it's not exactly a landslide. I didn't think Herman was in the Ilk party too. He and I shall taint the earth!

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Apparently everything that doesn't make fun of our country is right-wing now... From what I've seen, most of the media other than Fox News is liberally biased.

[Edited on 29-9-2004 by Herman]

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Herman
Apparently everything that doesn't make fun of our country is right-wing now... From what I've seen, most of the media other than Fox News is liberally biased.

Man you've got to chill. Taking things far too seriously. Look at this, we can take it.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by Herman

Man you've got to chill. Taking things far too seriously. Look at this, we can take it.

Yeah Southpark is funny, but they make fun of the stereotypes, not the people.

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Did anyone see the Daily Show tonight (Wed)? Stewart finally struck back at O'Reilly. I though he was going to let Bill off easy, but he eventually tore him to pieces over that softball interview he gave Bush.

Who wants to bet that O'Reilly's going to start an anti Daily Show jihad now?
I don't think this is one fight he wants to start, because he'll lose badly....

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
Who wants to bet that O'Reilly's going to start an anti Daily Show jihad now?
I don't think this is one fight he wants to start, because he'll lose badly....

I don't think that would be wise. Doesn't this face just scream, "BRING IT ON"?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join