It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MAD Cow Disease found in California

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
CNN is breaking the news, a dead cow in California found with Mad Cow disease (BSE). A dead dairy cow randomly selected. It only appears in the cows brain and spinal column.

The disease picked up alot of interest in the 1990s, but (as I've posted a link to an ATS thread down the page a bit) the U.S. has cut back the testing by at least 90% as of 2008. In in same report I just watched, CNN is trying to say that nobody in the USA has ever gotten Mad Cow from a cow in America. Ha!
edit on 24-4-2012 by Aleister because: data

Fenderwolf has posted links three posts down from here. Other links follow his post.
edit on 24-4-2012 by Aleister because: point to links further down the thread

edit on 24-4-2012 by Aleister because: more data

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Hey man gimme links

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by FenderWolf

No links, this was on Anderson Cooper at the "top of the hour". It should be breaking news in other news outlets, I'll keep a lookout.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
reply to post by FenderWolf

No links, this was on Anderson Cooper at the "top of the hour". It should be breaking news in other news outlets, I'll keep a lookout.

abcnews.go.com...

www.google.com...

Not to be corrective just to help you out

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Fourth case found

The U.S. Agriculture Department confirmed on Tuesday that it detected a case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy, the nation's fourth, in a dairy cow in central California.

At least worldwide cases are way down, at this time anyway.

Worldwide, there were 29 cases of BSE in 2011, down from the peak of 37,311 cases in 1992, Clifford noted.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Lets hope it doesn't become rampant again and is kept under control,

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
well that cow may have had calves which went into veal/steer/beef production

how do you like your PRION steak?

this is good PR for monsanto's cloned PrP/Doppel KO BSE free bovines

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Maybe it was just slightly annoyed cow disease? .. in all seriousness, if that's true then it's scary because I do remember when this went down in Europe . they destroyed many cattle to wipe it out.. that could have profound effects on the food supply here domestically .. not to mention drive up food pricing even higher.

I'm glad I don't eat much red meat or dairy.. I'm not a vegetarian by any stretch, I just usually prefer turkey or chicken over beef ..

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Crossing my fingers for a mad human/zombie apocalypse

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
The topic has been covered extensively by the media, as seen at MSNBC, Yahoo News, and the LA Times.

An excerpt from the Yahoo article states:

The United States Department of Agriculture confirmed Tuesday that it found a case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) in a dairy cow from central California.
The infected cow was found as part of a "targeted surveillance system," says John Clifford, the USDA's chief veterinary officer, who said at no time did it present a threat to humans.

What is particularly horrifying to me is that most don't show symptoms until around 15 years after ingesting the infected meat or product. I live in central California, near where this incident has been reported. Let's hope more cases do not arise.
edit on 24-4-2012 by Baalam because: Wasn't aware of old source.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
It's even lucky someone found it. Here's an ATS thread from 2008 which says the U.S. has cut back the testing by 90%.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Baalam

The same topic has already been posted here

The "same topic" you found was from 2005. Just sayin'.
edit on 24-4-2012 by Aleister because: edit

OK, thanks for correcting your post by an edit.

As for this case, Mad Cow (remember Denny Crane?) does take many years to show up, as has been said, and even the discovery of this dead cow may be enough to bring the entire wrath of sanctions onto U.S. exports. This has happened before, and could occur in this instance I'm guessing.
edit on 24-4-2012 by Aleister because: edit

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
reply to post by Baalam

The "same topic" you found was from 2005. Just sayin'.

Hes gotto be trolling hahaha. Thanks for the post though Aleister!

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by FenderWolf
Crossing my fingers for a mad human/zombie apocalypse

can you imagine zombie cows hungering for human brains?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

For all things "Mad Cow"

Mad Cow homepage

This is a grteat place to educate your self about prions and other things unique about it.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
Rachel Madcow disease its terrible,
i remember when the big outbrek
happened, stinking cows falling
out dead all over the place...
29 worldwide in 2011 is a good sign.
I doubt this one will get to much bigger.
Just cook ure beef very well done kill
all the germs no pink or blood you will
be allright.

Prions aren't germs.

Lest you think you are safe by not eating nervous tissues such as the brain, the USDA acknowledged years ago that the deboning process actually does pick up some of the nerve tissue. Sorry, if you have eaten ground beef then you might have eaten the offending tissue. Looks like beef is off the menu. I swear, the more I see the stuff the more I just want to hang it up and go vegan.
edit on 24-4-2012 by antonia because: added something

edit on 24-4-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Infected Cow Found in California
HANFORD, Calif. April 25, 2012 (AP)
ABC News

It looks like Mad Cow disease has been found in one cow in California !!

The company (Baker Commodities) apparently found the evidence on April 18th and they don't know which farm the cow came from !!

They also said the cow never "made it to" the rendering plant.

The random "test sample" tested positive, but also was said to be "inconclusive", and then was confirmed by the Agriculture Department.

?????????

A senior manager with a California rendering company said Tuesday a cow at its Hanford, Calif., transfer station tested positive for mad cow disease.

Dennis Luckey, executive vice president of Baker Commodities in Los Angeles, told The Associated Press the disease was discovered after workers selected the cow for random sampling.

The sample was taken from the dead cow's carcass on April 18 at a hide-removal site, he said.

"This animal happened to be one that we randomly selected," Luckey said.

The company does not yet know which farm the cow came from, but the animal never made it to Baker's rendering plant 50 miles away in Kerman, Calif., Luckey said.

On April 19, a lab at the University of California, Davis reported that its test on the sample was inconclusive, he said.

The sample was then sent on to the Agriculture Department, which confirmed on Tuesday that the cow is the fourth discovered in the United States to test positive for the disease.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Samples from the animal in question were tested at USDA’s National Veterinary Services Laboratories in Ames, Iowa. Confirmatory results using immunohistochemistry and western blot tests confirmed the animal was positive for atypical BSE, a very rare form of the disease not generally associated with an animal consuming infected feed.

source

atypical BSE .... well, that might be good news... OTOH I wonder what fallout will come of this, and I wonder what further research on this one case might come up with.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

The thing is, this particular cow tested for mad cow disease was a randem test, why not test all of them and my bet is the number will skyrocket!

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Yep, mad cow normally effects the entire herd. I think they are trying to downplay it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join