It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who or what is Melchizadek

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
What are yall thoughts of this character in the bible. Do you believe he was really priest of the most high? Thoughts please
youtu.be...

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Jesus Christ

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Personally I think at most he was just a guy who has had folklore attributed to him, if he even existed .. like many characters in the bible really..

The guy in the video actually earns my respect for realizing that people tend to make up folklore and history about a character they don't know anything about..

I think ultimately the scripture is just a collection of morality tales..

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
After much research, my father concluded that "Melchizadek" was a title, and that the man's name was Shem. Biblical chronology shows that Shem was still alive at this time.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

Thats interesting may i ask how your father went about researching that

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I am thinking "it" is a beelzebub
2nd line

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Here is some info on this link:
books.google.com... Y&hl=en&sa=X&ei=BEOXT6bELqno2AXH45jiDQ&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=melchizedek%20is%20a%20beelzebub&f=false

But, it states he was an angel rejected for his ways of thinking by St. Jerome.

I do not really know.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Jewish legend is that he was actually Shem, son of Noah. Melchizedek was king of Salem and Abraham offered tithes to him. This would seem to support the legend of him being Shem, who at this time, some 400 years after the flood, was probably the sole survivor of said flood and would be held in high esteem by the faithful Abraham.

This account is found beginning at Hebrews 6:20; 'where a forerunner has entered in our behalf, Jesus, who has become a high priest according to the manner of Mel·chiz´e·dek forever.
7:1 For this Mel·chiz´e·dek, king of Sa´lem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him 2 and to whom Abraham apportioned a tenth from all things, is first of all, by translation, “King of Righteousness,” and is then also king of Sa´lem, that is, “King of Peace.” 3 In being fatherless, motherless, without genealogy, having neither a beginning of days nor an end of life, but having been made like the Son of God, he remains a priest perpetually.

The point is being made here that Jesus is, not only King but, also, Priest, something that was not allowed in the ancient theocratic kingdom of Israel. You can read more in the book of Hebrews ch. 7

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
oki, I found another link that may be interesting to you.

www.maar.us...

It may or may not be true, who knows, same with the Bible. But, somewhere, I heard something about this name, and it was along the thoughts of a darker power. Sorry if I am misguiding you, but I saw the name and wanted to tell a bit of what I heard.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
yep, he is a priest and a type of "first fruits"....that is ......the first, "first fruits" from Abraham

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by vicnc2012

I can't think of an answer because all I can think about is the lack of text in your OP. Your new here so it's cool, but check out the guidelines for thread posting on ATS partner. Please.
edit on 24-4-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by justanobody

Alien .. no linage.. mother or father...it would have no meaning here on earth...
.not from this planet..

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I think he was Shem the son of Noah.
Melchizedek was king of Salem which is the short name for Jerusalem.
The name Melchizedek was in the bible three times
He was the priest of the Most High God.
Most High God was only said 11 times in the bible, the first time was in the same verse as Melchizedek's first. Genesis 14:18
The Hebrews had kings, prophets and priests like justanobody said.
There were only two that did all three, David was in the old testament, and Jesus in the new testament.
The order of Melchizedek could not be a Levite because a Levite could not be king.
I know it a lot of reading but that might be why they call it the bible.
Basic Information Before Leaving Earth.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by vicnc2012

Thats interesting may i ask how your father went about researching that

We don't have a LOT to go on in identifying this man, but if you crunch the chronology, you see that it could have been Shem. The Book of Jasher has some chronological numbers that the Book of Genesis lacks, and my dad used that information. Further, we lose Shem's location/residence in the Genesis and Jasher accounts, so where could he be? I noticed that the Book of Jasher mentioned Abraham spending many years of his youth in the home of Noah and Shem. Later, Isaac did as well, and (I think) Jacob also. Also, later in the Jasher account, this home was no longer the home of Noah and Shem, but the home of Shem and Eber, Noah having died. Now during this period of time, Genesis/Jasher describes the family of Abraham/Isaac/Jacob living in the area of Beersheba and Hebron. One of the sons, Isaac or Jacob was called back from the home of Shem and Eber to get married, so I must assume that that home was not too far from Beersheba or Hebron. Salem, later Jerusalem, is a good candidate, and it is implied in the text that Abraham already knew Melchizedek, at least it seems so to me. No proof here, but it is my best guess...

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

He is the Alpha and Omega the pre-carnated Christ. Just as the two who visited Abraham before the destruction of Sodom and Gomorra. Do a study of the Christology of the OT.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by guitarplayer

He is the Alpha and Omega the pre-carnated Christ. Just as the two who visited Abraham before the destruction of Sodom and Gomorra. Do a study of the Christology of the OT.

No, it cannot be the pre-incarnate Christ (Jesus) because this man was the king of Salem. Jesus said His kingdom was not of this world.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

it could have been Shem. The Book of Jasher has some chronological numbers that the Book of Genesis lacks
You can figure it out using just Genesis.
Also Jubilees so identifies him.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Genesis 14:18 Melchizedek, King of Salem, priest of El Elyon (a mountain god who claimed jurisdiction)

In Psalm 110, it is evident that the Judean kings seized the title of Melchizedek(priest king) for themselves.

The typology of the Genesis story is carried forward. From Genesis 14, the great battle between multinational alliances of kings (those from Mesopotamia, versus the Canaanites). The local Canaanite deity decides in favor of the Canaanites. By sponsoring the victors, the god claims ownership of "the heavens and the earth", through victory in war, the god becomes God.

That's what Psalm 110 is all about. A local Bronze Age deity becoming "God of the World" through war, by sponsoring a Messianic World ruler. This is the very heart of Old Testament religion. This is the heart of Messianic Zionism. This is the heart of present Messianic Jewish religion.

In Hebrews chapter 7, a Christian writer takes the whole thing away to heaven, as if to say, "That's not what it's going to be about anymore, not war, not victory in war, not crushing your enemies, not following Levites, none of that animal sacrifice"

We can only hope that Christians follow the Christian understanding rather than backsliding into the Old Testament war model.
edit on 28-4-2012 by pthena because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-4-2012 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

it could have been Shem. The Book of Jasher has some chronological numbers that the Book of Genesis lacks
You can figure it out using just Genesis.
Also Jubilees so identifies him.

Yes, Genesis is probably sufficient. Your mention of the Book of Jubilees rang a bell in my head, so I grabbed a flashlight, and looked thru a dark bookshelf where it would be if I had it. Well, there it was, but I have not read it yet (bought a used copy only recently). Can you give me a reference on this, since I am not familiar with the contents?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I thought you were talking about good old Drunvalo

www.youtube.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join