It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ministers ponder creation of EU super-president

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
EU Observer

Ideas kicking around in a reflection group of select EU foreign ministers include merging the roles of the EU Council and European Commission presidents.

A senior EU source told this website following a meeting of the club in the Val Duchesse stately home in Brussels on Thursday (19 April) that the new supremo would have more power than either Herman Van Rompuy or Jose Manuel Barroso do today but also more "democratic legitimacy" because he or she would be elected by MEPs.

In other reforms, the new figure would "streamline" the European Commission into a two-tier structure.

Every EU country would still have its own commissioner with their own vote in the college of 27 top officials. But as in some national set-ups, some commissioners would have more than one dossier while others would be the equivalent of ministers without portfolio.

The new super-president would also chair General Affairs Councils (GACs) - monthly meetings of foreign ministers which discuss internal Union affairs.

The Val Duchesse event also covered debate on "eurobonds" - the idea of mutualising EU government debt a controversial one in Germany, where voters are hostile to paying more to borrow money so that weaker economies in the south can pay less.

"It could be acceptable for new projects but not to guarantee bad ones from the past, or old bad debt," the EU source said.

Did a search and noone posted this yet on ATS. So here we have a discussion proposing an 'EU super-president' be created. As the Eurozone heads toward breakup, it is becoming clear that fiscal union needs to be tightened and the means to do that - through political union. People would of been concerned this could lead toward world government in years gone by, but we've been well conditioned over the years and probably fatigued to the point of 'who cares anymore'. Doesn't change the fact that the world is heading toward greater government control on a national, regional and soon--to-be global basis. Have a look at what this article is saying, the new EU super-president will have more power than either Herman Van Rompuy or Jose Manuel Barroso do today but also more "democratic legitimacy" because he or she would be elected by MEPs.

The following articles translated with google translate:

Mi nisters consider EU super president

European ministers consider a super-president of the European Union. This top would soon by the European Parliament should be chosen so that the function of a democratic face.

EUobserver reported that the European news Friday. The site refers to the deliberations series of ten EU foreign ministers, including Uri Rosenthal. The most recent consultation was on Thursday in Brussels. The super president would the Presidency of the European summits of national leaders and the Presidency of the European Commission must unite.

On the initiative of the German minister Guido Westerwelle brainstorm ten since March on the future of the European Union. According to the Austrian Foreign Minister Michael SPINDELEGGER want the select group this fall with concrete proposals.

EU thinks of "super president" to Van Rompuy and Barroso to replace

A select group of European topministers during a meeting in Val Duchesse exchanged ideas about the fusion of the role of Chairman of the Council of Europe (Herman Van Rompuy) and present chairman of the European Commission (Jose Manuel Barroso). This new super president would have more power than the two presidents today, but would also have greater legitimacy because he would be elected directly by the European parliament.

The new super president would be the monthly General Affairs Councils (GACS) chair, which the Foreign Ministers of the internals of the EU to discuss.

According to EU Observer is an amalgamation of both roles no adaptation to the Lisbon Treaty is needed.

The introduction of euro bonds was discussed at Val Duchesse. Such an introduction would be an acceptable structure for the future, but not for past debts, said an EU source.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I think what they really should be pondering is what they are going to do when the Union breaks up , how they're going to deal with the millions of angry people and how they're going to save their own skins when it hits the fan , rather than just ponder another layer of bureaucracy ..... just goes to show how out of touch they really are

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

A Superpresident.....? ah mein Fuhrer. history has a funny way of repeating itself.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I agree with you gortex only that I think the creation of the EU super-presidency office will be (at least partly) what assists with rebuilding Europe (and indeed the rest of the world and its financial and economic systems) after the meltdown. The collapse of world financial systems and economy > creation of EU super-president > NWO > world government = all part of a bigger plan perhaps.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
In the words of Ralphie from A Christmas Story, "Oh, fffffuuuuuuuuuuuudge!"

I KNEW it was only a matter of time until this idea came to the forefront. With a globalized economy comes globalized leadership. The EU is a prototype. An experiment.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Does the Superpresident wear a cape? Does he have special powers?
How long till Earth Emperor?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

I read about this and I share your concerns, but I have to disagree with this assessment of yours:

Originally posted by surrealist
People would of been concerned this could lead toward world government in years gone by, but we've been well conditioned over the years and probably fatigued to the point of 'who cares anymore'.

Germans are still very skeptical about Brussels intrusion into our national affairs. From a national-souvereign point of view aswell as from an economic point of view.
I believe the Brits are also very eager to keep their island independent, aswell as many other Europeans.

I expect this scepticism to grow stronger the more they push for a political union. I even predict a new attitude for independence to rise within the EU memberstates, maybe somewhat comparable to the US traditional conservative or libertarian attitude towards strong federal government.
The United States of Europe? I really can't see that happening.

From the euobserver-article:

The Val Duchesse event also covered debate on "eurobonds" - the idea of mutualising EU government debt, a controversial one in Germany, where voters are hostile to paying more to borrow money so that weaker economies in the south can pay less.

edit on 24-4-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join