It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can light slow down?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

Stephen Hawking would say it all happened by chance. He uses the argument that, had it not happened, then we wouldn't be here to notice, so the fact that we are here to see that it happened is nothing special.
While that's a legitimate argument, I would disagree that everything happened by chance. I have no scientific basis for it, but I would contend that everything has been designed the way we see it.

One thing that doesn't align with Hawking's theory is the fact that the mass of the Moon places its orbit around the Earth at just such a distance that it perfectly eclipses the Sun. The odds of that happening naturally are almost non-existent.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

One thing that doesn't align with Hawking's theory is the fact that the mass of the Moon places its orbit around the Earth at just such a distance that it perfectly eclipses the Sun. The odds of that happening naturally are almost non-existent.

You do realize that as long as such situation is permitted, Solar eclipse does not contradict Hawkings theories at all? It is not even relevant to cosmology. The alignment is not perfect and was different in the past. It is just chance.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

No, it doesn't contradict Hawking's view, but it's intriguing nonetheless.
For as long as humans have been observing the Moon, the Moon has been approximately the same size as the Sun. I'm not all that interested in what the primordial algae saw. And it will take millions of years for the Moon to become significantly smaller than the Sun in the sky. I guess Man was just really lucky.

<< 3  4  5   >>

join