It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Objects Punching Holes In Weird Saturn Ring (Video @ link)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Found this article on Space.com - I can't find it using ATS' robust search feature, but if it exists someone please let me know so I can get a mod to close this thread.

The discovery comes from detailed photos taken of the Saturn system by NASA's Cassini orbiter. In these images, researchers spotted strange objects about a half-mile (kilometer) wide tearing through Saturn's F ring, the thin outermost discrete ring around the planet.

As they pass through the ring, these interlopers drag glittering ice particles out with them, creating visible trails of debris scientists are calling "mini jets."

"I think the F ring is Saturn's weirdest ring, and these latest Cassini results go to show how the F ring is even more dynamic than we ever thought," Carl Murray, a Cassini imaging team member based at London's Queen Mary University, said in a statement. "These findings show us that the F ring region is like a bustling zoo of objects from a half mile in size to moons like Prometheus a hundred miles in size, creating a spectacular show."

Not really a lot to say, other than the video is great and you can see these wonderful wavy tracers as these objects moved through Saturn's F ring. Very cool. The "side" shots are spectacular. =]

Source

edit on 24-4-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Prometheus?

edit on 24-4-2012 by OurSecretHouseCLUB33 because: Video didnt show up first time.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
These resemble the Celestial Stoaway type of entities,the planets have no desire to home them,yet still they come and take resources from the planets.

Like greedy savages they take when the taking is good,many pictures like these have been posted on forums lately.They seem to be carless and taking I dont care if you see me type of addavar.
edit on 24-4-2012 by paperface because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I really just think it's what the article says it is..

The F ring is held in check by two tiny moons, Prometheus and Pandora, which weave inside and outside the outer ring. Sometimes these moons perturb the ring, creating channels and snowballs. Now scientists think that some of these snowballs survive to become the weird objects punching new holes in the ring.

The objects appear to collide with the ring at mild speeds of about 4 mph (6.4 kph), but can leave relatively long trails extending between 20 to 110 miles long (40 to 180 kilometers).

But yeah, it could be alienz!

new topics

top topics

join