It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Red Sun Chronicles: Day Eleven

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The Chronicles of the Red Sun: An Introduction

The Chronicles of the Red Sun is a short story series that I will be posting on ATS over the next year. I got the idea from a book that I read while I was in 5th grade. It was the year 2000 and they had begun cramming information about global warming down our throats. They had us a read a book, the name of which escapes me, and it was about a second sun that was actually mobile and heading for the Earth, or near it's orbit. Everyday that the sun moved closer, the conditions of things on Earth worsened. The book ends with the sun passing through our solar system after much destruction and loss of life on Earth, with minimal survivors.

The book has always intrigued me and I have kept it in the back of my mind since I read it. Only recently did I realize that I wanted to write a short story based on that book. So, I began to create characters and scenarios in my head that I could use as a basis for my story. I have come to ATS to debut this story since the setting here seem to me to be quite fitting.

The story will be written in journal entry form. Each post will be a single journal entry and will be posted upon completion, at random, with no set schedule.

The first 20 entries will be written from the viewpoint of a young mother in Central New York, and will begin with journal entries #11-20, #1-10 will be the last to be posted.

The next 20 entries (#21-40) will be written from the viewpoint of an Army National Guard soldier deployed in the United States for Civilian Assistance and Disaster Relief, and will begin with journal entry #21, and ending with #40.

The next 20 entries have not been considered....yet.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

With all of that said, I give you -

The Chronicles of the Red Sun

Day #Eleven

I woke up this morning to the sound of Marcy crying....except, it was not like any cry I had ever heard. Things have been progressively getting worse over the past week and a half, or so. I have not heard from Chris, Ethan or Maria since they said they were leaving town. I think I am starting to lose my mind. Everything on the TV is the same. I cannot get away from any of it. I don't know how long the food will last either. I am far too afraid to venture out in that hell hole they call a city, all by myself....especially considering the state of things right now. Plus, I heard there was not much left anyways. All the rich people keep buying all the re-stock before it even hits the shelves, or so we hear.

I am just glad I pulled the garden when I did, this should last us quite a while, if I get it processed, cooked, and canned before it perishes. I have just had no energy lately, none of us have according to the TV. No one is sick they say, we are all just suffering from the heat. I don't think that makes a lot of sense because in the same news segment, they state that the fatigue was also reported in countries that are experiencing the brutally cold temperatures.

I think it has to do with this second sun thing. They have been reporting on that as well, but only towards the beginning of the broadcast, far apart from the segment on the widespread fatigue. I think they are trying to disassociate the two, as to not spread panic of sorts, but sooner or later, everyone is going to connect the dots, and I think that already started. I don't know, maybe I am crazy, it is pretty hot.

There are some people that were on TV saying that when our sun and this new red sun cross paths during the day, they seem to resemble the Mastercard logo. I am sure there is nothing to that, but it is a strange coincidence. There was also a major poll conducted that asked a number of people whether or not these were the end times. 92% said yes and the rest said that the odd happenings would pass. I am not sure where to put myself at this point.

I just want a good nights sleep, that is all I know. The light from the red sun keeps me up all night. It is even brighter than the yellow sun during the day! Well, to me it is at least. Some people say that it is beautiful, and that it is, but they also say that to them it is dimmer than our sun AND they can sleep better with it's light. I think they might be crazier than I am. I don't really like the light. It makes me FEEL different, I cannot explain it. It gives me a sense of impending doom, but maybe those are just my primal instincts telling me to be afraid of what I do not understand. I just tend to go with my gut feeling, and stay out of it as much as possible.

A week ago when it first started to get really big and bright, it was like 3 in the morning, and I put my hand out in front of my face with my eyes closed. I could clearly see the shadow of my hand, I could make out the definition and everything. It was like my eyes were not even closed. People have been partying all day and all night, some not even sleeping. They think the second sun is so cool. I am pretty sure it is getting closer too, that is what I do not understand about these freaking people. Some are saying that the light is just getting brighter, but myself and others think that it is an object maintaining the intensity of it's luminescence, and is in fact moving in our direction. Those theories have not been brought up in the media, however. But give it time, give it time. NASA of course is not talking. They have not held a press conference since this damn thing appeared.

Good god, it's hot. I have no more to write now, but that is good. They say it is good to write out your thoughts. It soothes the soul. Must go tend to the daily tasks on this 113 degree, 9th day of December.....

edit on 24-4-2012 by Amaeus because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-4-2012 by Amaeus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Bravo! A solid beginning. More, please?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyJae

Thank you! And YAY! You were my first commenter! This is going so well, lol.

I might have another one posted sometime tonight, but tomorrow is looking more like a definite possibility haha

Thank you so much for reading and for being so friendly

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
excellent work my friend.......love it
s+f from me....bravo.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaeus

I'm already hooked!!!

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
AH! You finally posted it.

Very well written! I like it.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Oooh, I love this! great start, and I am subscribing for the rest of the story

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by cantsee4looking

Thank you so much for reading, Day #Twelve coming soon!

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

I thank you for reading it!

Your support means more than you know

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CeltAngel

I am so glad you enjoyed it!

Day #Twelve coming soon!

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

That makes me incredibly happy

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Good work. Look forward to future entries.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Excellent, you certainly garnered my attention..

Looking forward to reading more of your compositions..

Johnny

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Nice work for an opener, straight to the point and bold.

Would personally go for a little more fleshing out, but being the first of hopefully follow up chapters, will be looking forward to where this goes.

A great story in the making

S&F

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

It is quite an honor to have you read my work!
I did a little research and you are quite the man around here!

Thank you for your kind words

top topics

join