It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in 2 new graduates are jobless or underemployed, Bachelor's Degrees Working in Fast Food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

The college class of 2012 is in for a rude welcome to the world of work.

A weak labor market already has left half of young college graduates either jobless or underemployed in positions that don't fully use their skills and knowledge.

Young adults with bachelor's degrees are increasingly scraping by in lower-wage jobs — waiter or waitress, bartender, retail clerk or receptionist, for example — and that's confounding their hopes a degree would pay off despite higher tuition and mounting student loans.

m.yahoo.com...

Well it's pretty bad out there
I know quite a few people with Bachelor's and Masters degrees and they are looking for jobs and pretty worried about their student loans.

Part of the article speaks about how employers want people with experience not just a degree
With that nothing has changed, the job market has always been like that..... I remember!

But I don't think i've ever seen it this bad with as many sad stories as I'm hearing from friends and families at the moment

An article like this gets out every year or so, but it's definately getting worse and worse but never that many bachelor degrees working in minimum wage jobs

There's absolutely no use to have that expensive degree in that scenario
edit on 24-4-2012 by ModernAcademia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Atleast those in low page jobs have one. There are many people I work with with degrees and masters and even PhD's that are on low wages. One of my closest work partners has two masters. The fact is that with more people with a higher education level and the level of jobs available this is a simple numbers game. There are too many degrees out there for the jobs that require them.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
It's not just new graduates unemployed. I got bachelors in electronic engineering, unemployed for over a year now. Damn governments and banks worldwide causing all this misery.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
It's a sad, sad situation that will only grow worse. Going to college "at least in the U.S." doesn't guarantee you the life you were promised when graduating form high school.

Edit: Just found a older thread on the same subject. Please continue discussing on the previous thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 24-4-2012 by TheBandit795 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Unfortunately, with the ever increasing desire to see a university level education, this kind of scenario is only going to get worse. At the end of the day, there is only a certain number of jobs available. Regardless of the financial climate, sooner of later this policy will see the stage where there are more educated people than there are jobs available - this leads to highly qualified individuals going for other types of jobs just to gain employment.

It is sad but entirely predictable.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Here's an idea

Head on over to Craigslist, look under the Gigs or Jobs sections at what's in demand in your area, make notes of the commonalities and trends, then go buy a book and LEARN.

pretty tough - huh

I guess these college kids are just waiting around for mommy & daddy to buy them a job too

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I dont know why people are 'looking' for jobs, have people forgotten that you can still 'create' jobs. There is literally hundreds of schemes out there that help you with startup costs.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Glad I decided not to continue to invest in a college education.. Decided on focusing on a skill set instead. Now I hold multiple certifications and work along side many with bachelors and masters, without the debt and hold a similar wage. I may finish out one day but why bother with this news.

top topics

join