It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia Protects Humpback Whales

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

The government of Western Australia has announced it will establish a marine park to provide protection for the biggest humpback whale calving area in the Southern Hemisphere. The Camden Sound Marine Park will cover almost 7,000 square kilometers (2,700 square miles) and will comprise several different zones.

Article

I think this is wonderful. And the park will protect more than just the whales. Thumbs up, Australia!

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Great news!
Now let's see the extent of this ( or incumbent ) governments' resolve.

Let's face it, the real issue lies in the Southern ocean, where it seems Sea Shepherd (sic?) is going it alone, albeit with serious risk to those passionate enough to put their money and bodies on the line.

If the Australian government wants to show itself as fair dinkum .... they will make sure their presence is felt in the southern ocean in direct opposition to illegal Japanese whaling.

( deep breaths )

Ed: S&F ... a worthy cause.
edit on 24-4-2012 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Good for them. They and other governments could do a lot more by pressuring Japan, which used to hunt whales (I don't know their present involvement), with sanctions and push on other political pressure points. Will never happen due to priorities, but we all live in a dream world and mine has Leelee Sobieski in it. Lots of whales too.

Thanks for putting up some positive news.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

Good for them. They and other governments could do a lot more by pressuring Japan, which used to hunt whales (I don't know their present involvement), with sanctions and push on other political pressure points. Will never happen due to priorities, but we all live in a dream world and mine has Leelee Sobieski in it. Lots of whales too.

Unfortunately, Japan is STILL hunting whales. That's why Sea Shepherd was in the Southern Hemisphere again this season, to keep pressure on the flaunting, arrogant Japanese whale hunters.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

Japan still kills them but they claim it is for "research"
Google "whale wars" a show on animal planet or Sea Shepherds

new topics

top topics

join