It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Brain tumor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I had one of my bi annual MRI scans last week and for the first time got the scans on disc , so I could see for myself the location and size of the tumor that remains.

The white highlighted area on the right hand side is the remaining tumour.

I was originally diagnosed in 2002 with a grade 3 oligodendroglioma tumour in the right frontal lobe. I had felt symptoms from 1998, that included numbness in my mouth, tongue and left hand side. Things got progessively worse as unbeknown to me a large tumor was pushing the right hemisphere of my Brain into the left hand side of my head. I started to have seizures that would make the whole of my left hand side go numb.

I was young at the time and was so scarred as to what was going on. I was 23 when I got my first diagnosis. It came as a huge shock to all my family and friends. But for me the diagnosis finally meant I knew what was wrong and that we could finally begin trying to do something about it.

I had brain surgery at the National Brain institute in London. The tumor they removed "the vast majority of" was the size of a large orange. I knew nothing about Brain tumors and believed that, once removed I would be back to the career I was only starting out on.

Unfortunately it turned out the tumor was malignant and would require both Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy. I had 6 weeks five days a week week radiotherapy and 6 months of chemo.

I soon got back to normal life but my confidence had been seriously bruised and I suffered a bout of severe depression. Still as time went by my confidence came back and I felt I was ready to go back to college and train for a new career.

However in 2007 I began to have symptoms again and was being sick in the mornings. I went straight back to hospital, where scans revealed the tumor had returned. However this time it returned as a grade 4 Glioblastomamultiforme. Pretty much one of the worst tumors you can get.

I had more brain surgery with the same surgeon and more chemotherapy. No more radiotherapy could be given.

Since the last lot of Chemo my tumor has been inactive for nearly 4 years.

Anyway as i got the scan pics I thought some may be interested to see them.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Well sir, you are a true survivor.
I can only imagine what you've went through as a young man.
That picture shows alot about what's going on inside your head.
Besides the extreme pressure against your brain, I bet it was tough going.

But beyond chemo and radio therapy did you ever try alternative treatments?

Thoughts and prayers brutha.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
You are very lucky to have survived so long with a glioblastoma

Congratulations on successful treatment!
I've got a little bugger on my auditory nerve, probably benign (acoustic neuroma) that was found completely by accident 4 years ago.
With surgery the odds of losing my hearing on one side are 1 in 3 and as someone who loves music I just can't take the risk yet while it's not growing very fast.
It's a good excuse to avoid the "chicken" in myself as well.
You obviously had no such option.

My best wishes on your continued health and happiness.
(btw - your avatar always makes me laugh)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

But beyond chemo and radio therapy did you ever try alternative treatments?

reply to post by havok

I had reiki after both surgeries, I consumed a diet high in flavonoids. and I use a plant that we can't talk about for T&C reasons, based on some research I did. It's impossible to measure the success of these treatments alongside the traditional ones I had, my parent's are convinced they have helped.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I do feel very lucky to still be here after such a daunting prognosis. Believe me when it came, everyone thought my days were numbered, apart from me. Maybe I was in a state of denial, but I never actually felt that I would be dead anytime soon. The thought just seemed alien, even though those around me treated me like I was on my death bed.

I'm sorry to hear about your tumor. It's a tough situation to be left with such a choice. Though with the odds you have, I agree that you are best to just ride it out as long as possible. No need to go down the surgery route until it becomes life threatening. Lets hope it never get's that far.

It's funny you would have thought that the size and location of my tumour would have caused me more problems, But i have been left with only a very slight weakness in my left hand side, but no other identifiable problems. I have a huge scar down the side of my head and my hair no longer grows in the parts where I had the radio therapy, but apart from that I am very lucky. I have seen people with the same type of tumour in a far worse situation than myself. I guess I was lucky it grew in the location it did and that being a young man I was able to handle the treatments.
edit on 24-4-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Damn dude...

Amazing having been through all that and you're still here.

Keep on keeping on my friend, you're a fighter for sure.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Cheers Blup, it's funny I never feel like a fighter. I think I've actually taken quite an ambivalent approach to it all. I was lucky that I had youth on my side and 100% confidence in the medical professionals I have had some of the most amazing medical staff you could ever wish for, all on the good old NHS. I've probably costed the country a fortune the way I have been looked after

There is obviously a human instinct to want to fight and stay alive that certainly kicks in, but it never feels like a fight, more a case of taking one step at a time and crossing bridges when the time comes.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Exactly mate, It's not always like a fight when you're in it... only either when you look back or someone points out how lucky you are to be here.

I would imagine the treatment I had early on in life has cost the NHS a ****load too...

And yes... all free and all fantastic staff and extremely friendly.

I will never understand anyone who doesn't think something like the NHS (universal healthcare) is a great idea.

Anyway... I hope it all continues as it is and you keep being healthy and fit.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Keep on loving living my friend. I lost my dad to C 5 years ago and I wish you he best of luck. My cousin-in-law, Jeff, was recently diagnosed with a brain tumor but I don't knwo what kind. Evidently his treatment plan is to shrink it down and chemo.

If you love motorsports and racing let me know if you are in the Martinsville, VA, USA area when the NASCAR race is in town and I'll get you in the race....

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your father and your cousin law's tumour. It is an awful disease that doesn't discriminate.

Thanks for the kind offer. Unfortunately I'm in the UK and getting to the states is not that easy these days.

Thanks again for the kind words and best of luck to your cousin in law. .
edit on 24-4-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Age was indeed your ally as both your youthful vigor and the plasticity of your brain played a role. You are most fortunate and if one were to judge by your communication skills your intelligence seems completely unaffected.
I know what you mean about how it doesn't seem like a fight but everyone is coaching you to do it. You just take one day and one procedure at a time until hopefully, it's over and you can get back on with living.

Cheers.

top topics

join