It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overweight students sapping school finances

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I'm a highschooler and a bit overweight with a problem of high blood pressure, but it's mostly genetics, seeing as I'm mostly vegetarian (Yeah, I mix up some chicken with my salad), I eat little, and I exercise anywhere from 4-6 hours daily (that's including weekends). Unfortunately not many of my fellow classmates come to notice this and always have a negative remark about my eating habits. "Dude, you most probably eat tons of food!". At this point a swift punch to the face is used.

Edit: When I mean overweight, I have 30% body fat compared to the highest normal, 24%.

[edit on 9-27-2004 by WaStEdDeAtH777]

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by elaine
Better yet throw out all the chips and cookies and replace them with raw veggies and fruits. If it's not in the house they can't eat it.

I actually did this about a year ago...somewhere after my divorce the kids and MY eating habits went horribly wrong....We now buy tons of fresh veggies and "attempt" a garden each spring....my oldest turns 6 this week, and he eats like a pig...but not even close to overweight, we spend a lot of time outdoors playi ngand the boys even have some Children Workout dvd's, my youngest does baby yoga...he's so silly when he does!!

Another thing about eating healthy...IT costs WAYYYY too much!! Its a lot cheaper to buy frozen pizzas, chicken nuggets, hotdogs... (you get the idea) My grocery bill has about doubled with all the fresh stuff!!

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Eating habits have little to do with it, it's all about exercise. Of course after a certain point that won't help you either. I'm in 11th grade and normal weight. I can eat a large pizza by myself without any trouble, if I sit down to eat cereal I'll probably eat 4-5 bowls of sugar-coated goodness, eat McDonalds (or similar) 2-3 times a week. Everyone on the varsity basketball team eats the same yet we are all in good shape. Key words: basketball team. Today I played b-ball for a total of about 3 hours and that's what makes the difference I think.

IBM

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Fat kids need to be put in military camp to make them nice and lean, could use some exercise. Take away their playstation and TV also and make them do some yard work instead of paying someoone else to do it. Fat people make me sick with their outright laziness and then on top of that they eat a lot. What are you going to to while watching TV? Well eat, what else.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
You know the sad part to all of this is that it costs more to eat healthy and if you have a big family and a small buget, well , than it can get really hard.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
BS...Absenteism due to overweight??? Please....

Granted, many American children are overweight...but to blame absences on it? That's reaching....

Many schools have started addressing this by removing soda machines from schools (another stupid move as it's good revenue). Simply replace it with Diet Sodas and Water, Juices, etc. and you're good to go.
Health and revenue.

I'd blame it more on increased "Latch-key" problems, as nowadays, both parents must work to live a decent life, unlike the good old days. But, with proper parenting, BOTH issues can be fixed...

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by freespirit
You know the sad part to all of this is that it costs more to eat healthy and if you have a big family and a small buget, well , than it can get really hard.

This is straight bull#, not to be mean, but it is.

The idea that it is healthier to eat crap is wrong. I am the sole bread winner in my house. My wife doesn't work and I have two sons with a third in the oven (no pun intended). She successfully makes healthy meals with smaller portions of meat (which is preferable) for all of us.

Rice is how much? What? Cheap as dirt? Yes, it is, and if you are choosey, vegis aren't too much either, and have much less sodium than canned veggies.

Eating is not the only cause of obesity, by far. Soda is the first problem I see. My oldest son is almost 4 and I can count on one hand how many times we have given him more than a sip when we go out to eat (which isn't often).

The biggest problem I see, is the introduction of crap foods too early for children. Parenting is certainly the problem, but not because they are busy, they do not see to the future.

I've seen baby food, in jars, that have turkey, beef, or chicken in them. Meat is not easy to digest, and should not be given to children before the age of 18 months, but I would say not before (in substantial amounts) before 3 years old.

Raisons are not expensive, freezing juice for popsicles is not expensive and you can get the containers to make them at most dollar stores.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Eating has a lot to do with it, though exercise is important. I knew a guy at my old job who ate like a monster. He was young, about 19 or 20 when he started. He was around 6'4" tall and, while not thin, was about right for that height. He ate huge McDonald's meals and such, but didn't gain weight. Played hockey. I said "you can't keep eating like that as you age" and he laughed. About 5 years later we were on nightshift together. He still played hockey, still ate like a horse, but was starting to chub up. By the time he left, he was well on his way to being truly overweight, but breaking that habit of such huge consumption was very hard for him because he'd eaten like that for years by then.

I agree that it starts very very early. A friend of mine has been very careful of her son's eating due to her own struggle with weight. Her mother told him once that he had to eat everything before he could get down from the table, and she said "No, if he's done, he's done. Don't force it." and though it touched off a small explosion between them, her mom finally got that she was trying to control it. She just put less on his plate next time until she figured out his personal intake amount. No forcing. No using food as punishment or bribe. It's habit that is the killer. Habits are hard to break which is why it's better not to start than to quit.

As for school money, I think this is crap. There's been corruption and misuse of funds in schools since they began getting money. They're just trying to find something to pin it on.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by RATT
My lunch consists of a Tuna Sandwhich and a water bottle, Thats 2.75.

A twinkee or a doritos bag or a soda at the school is all under 1.00. I think thats one reason why kids are going towards the fatty foods becuase they can buy more of what they like.

This is not true everywhere...it is the exact opposite at my school. I live in a middle-upper class neighborhood and about every year, they raise the prices in the vending machine and lunch line for the more fattier foods.

So guess what? All the kids get mommy and daddys money and buy what they please, and the parents don't care. If the kids have jobs and pay for their own lunch and snacks, that is a different story.

Also, they replaced the soda last year with juice, but raised the price! Most who want soda and can't afford $1.25 (ripoff) a day for aquafina or fruit punch, will go to Wal-Mart or wherever and get soda for 25 cents.

In my school, they also just installed a brand new ice cream machine.
Hello????????????????

I see this stuff every day, and it makes me sick, not to mention the wasteful habits of other people.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
BS...Absenteism due to overweight??? Please....

Granted, many American children are overweight...but to blame absences on it? That's reaching....

Many schools have started addressing this by removing soda machines from schools (another stupid move as it's good revenue). Simply replace it with Diet Sodas and Water, Juices, etc. and you're good to go.
Health and revenue.

I'd blame it more on increased "Latch-key" problems, as nowadays, both parents must work to live a decent life, unlike the good old days. But, with proper parenting, BOTH issues can be fixed...

Thank you Gazrok! This thread is way off topic...but I guess that can only be accounted for based off the shody article it came from...

At least nine states that get state money based on student attendance, for example, are losing an estimated tens of millions of dollars because of absenteeism, a problem caused in part by the poor nutrition and inactivity of those missing school, the study says.

Okay...great job on stating your findings...how about something to back that up? Explain how in the hell they came to this conclusion? Just more people looking for excuses if you ask me....

To get more to the topic at hand...I've been about 40 pounds overweight most of my life - people who say it's b/c I'm lazy, watch TV all day, never exercise, eat fast food all the time and have other people do my work are complete idiots...I'll agree that there are many people out there who get fat b/c they choose to live that lifestyle, but some of you need to watch your overly obtuse mouths...if generalizing is your only method of commenting then you need wake up and see the "bigger" picture

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join