It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The War on Terror Is Over!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Who won?

And what's our next war going to be?
The War on Lactose Intolerance?
The War on Racists?
The War on Protestors?
The War on Free Speech?
The War on Guns?
The War on Christianity?

*I can hardly wait!*

The War on Personal Sovereignty. You know, the thing about certain entities deciding they get to lord over the other entities and not leave well enough alone. Invading their space, breaching their privacy and/or property. The one being waged for decades and is playing up it's crescendo right now.

That war... Though like any other war, it has sides...

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by nenothtu

Keep your friends close, Keep your enemies closer...

No?

Within weapons range with the crosshairs on them is close enough for me.

I really don't feel any compulsion to dialog with them as long as I'm keeping them under observation.

That tends to keep them unnerved and off balance, and that's the way I personally prefer it.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Rofl. "War on terrorism"? There was never a war on terrorism to begin with. All they did was kill the CIA's rogue agents who pledged allegience to Muhammad back in the Afghanistan/Russia war. You can't win a war on terror when the terrorists number in the hundreds of millions. All they did was tie up loose ends and i bet the deed to my house someone dies by a car bomber or suicide bomber in the next month.
edit on 24-4-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

I'd dare say there are a couple nations full of villages and cities which might disagree with the assertion that the War on Terror has been a total sham. I think that is very easy to say, sitting in the West and honestly never having heard a shot fired in anger, let alone a 500lb bomb drop somewhere close by in a "surgical" strike.

Something tells me the war has been very real to those who've lived a decade of U.S. and Western Combat patrols up and down their streets..firefights breaking out from time to time amongst whoever is shooting THIS time and right in and among the civilian population more than not. Add the bombs and gunships buzzing overhead and occasionally falling on neighborhoods.

Now, I don't need a little violin and no one need cry me or them a river. I'm not saying it for pity value. Personally, their problems in the Middle East are their own and if they aren't fighting us, they WILL be fighting each other or other outsiders. It's been that way for well over 2,000 years across that ENTIRE region. It isn't stopping now.

So...I'd say the war has been VERY real. We've lost ALL stomach to fight with the intent to WIN..and so, need to depart the area with all possible speed. The only thing worse than having no America to clean up the mess is to leave a weakened America in place in Afghanistan and North/Central Africa as target practice to the locals. It may make their plight worse in the short term, but we'll ALL be happier if our forces left tomorrow and just blew the equipment in place that couldn't be carried out on evac flights. It's not like Uncle cares about such expenses any OTHER time.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

It's about darn time they stopped bleating about terrorism.

Maybe they'll finally address the issues INSIDE our borders...

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
The “War on terror” can never be over and it can never be won because the tactic of terrorism will always present a threat to states including America. The truth is that the war on terrorism is not a true war, and as such a true war cannot ever truly be won. If you want to argue that the war on terrorism was in actuality a war against Al-Qa’ida then again the war is not over. It is true that the so called “Core Al-Qa’ida” no longer exists, that is to say the organisation that exited from 1996-2001. However the franchised Al-Qa’ida that has emerged I would argue is even more dangerous. Yes the Al-Qa’ida that was headed up by Bin Laden no longer exists in any meaningful capacity but the organisations that carry the name of Al-Qa’ida remain a real threat. Take for example AQIM or AQAP both are very active and in addition to this we also have the number of individuals who act in the name of Al-Qa’ida such as the 7/7 bombers.

The argument about whether or not the war on terror is over is complex, and this is by no means an announcement that the war is over. This war will never end, a war on terror is a perpetual war just as the war against drugs is arguably a perpetual war.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Does this mean that the TSA can stand down?

But then doing so would cause an increase in unemployment.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

There was never a war on terror man, that was all a sham. This was just another viet-nam where people died for nothing. Muslim kill eachother everyday, thats been going on since their political system was first created. When they have no enemy to focus on they kill eachother, and oftentimes they kill eachother anyways, even if there's an enemy to unite against. We achieved nothing, because the suicide bombings will start up again and the acts of terrorism will too, because they see themselves as freedom fighters and one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

What you do not understand about islamic extremism is they will lie low and pretend to make "peace" until they gather their strength, and then they come to kill you. They follow Muhammads battle tactics, specifically how he conquered Mecca. Good read on his dealings with Mecca, gives you insight into how they think and what you can expect to see in the future.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I won't change your mind and you won't change mine. I respect your arguments though.

However the war meandered and diverged from the original intents in 2001/2002 ...well, like I said..we both have pretty deep feelings and I don't think we're going to do much but argue beyond this. I'd hate to go there with a member I respect. Better to agree as above, then.

@ Starchild23

I hear ya on that. God knows we have enough trouble in just race, poverty and crime in our nation to stay busy INSIDE our own borders for many many years to come. I'm sure the world would appreciate our time away and we NEED that time to focus on our internal crisis, as you note. Agreed!

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
you know what makes me laugh.

you go to an other country and go "the war on terror", they'll say " the war on what" and look at you like you're some insane nutcase.

the war on terror has absolutely no effect or bearing on anybody or their peace of mind in this world outside of the united states, britain and to some little extent canada and australia.

they all live in the world pre 9/11.

and you would be too, if bush and the american government didn't turn 9/11 into something much more gigantic and important than the united states itself and the 300,000,000 other people that live on it's shores.

if it would have treated 9/11 like any other criminal terrorist act, acted according to it's laws and procedures,
and captured bin laden alive for trial, america wouldn't be subject to tsa gestapo tactics and patriot acts and bailouts.

all it takes is one to ignore the law, then another, and when people start to see there are no consequences every body starts to break laws, making manmade laws useless.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

In all fairness and to keep this real...What war ever has much meaning to nations not directly engaged in it? Heck, I understand Vietnam was one of those places Americans had to grab a map to locate the first time they heard the name. The French fighting there for years wasn't of much interest.

I'm sure the "War on Terror" is of little interest to most of the world that is not either running into laws/regulations related to it in business or whose nation has troops deployed and fighting in it.

Unfortunately though, for us and those in the Middle East, there absolutely is an ongoing war. The origins, direct causes and people who played various roles are all the stuff of endless debates but they ARE shooting US and we ARE shooting THEM. That's war by anyone's book, and this whole thing started by them coming here, first in a terrorist attack. Call it 1993 if it makes anyone feel better about not using 9/11 and the controversy. I was in Denver watching the news of the '93 WTC bombing and wondering very seriously if it might be the first of more to come, even then.
They finally got it right in 2001...tragically..but so many forget it was the second attempt. The first one could easily have worked..if they hadn't been idiots and parked in what I've seen described as the single worst place in the whole garage for what they were trying to do. THAT level of dumb deserves nothing but:

I want to see this end as expeditiously as humanly possible since no one in power cares about winning it anymore, if they ever really did. AS I noted though, ending this very real war doesn't have to come with and never SHOULD come with making 'friends' with the very people we've been in mortal combat with. Sheesh.. give it a decade or two or 4...as my reference to Vietnam was originally meant as. Until then...They ought to expect us and we ought to expect them for more problems even after the war ends....this President is just insane to think we can all be buddies. The world doesn't work that way outside his rather colorful delusions.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   

you go to an other country and go "the war on terror", they'll say " the war on what" and look at you like you're some insane nutcase. the war on terror has absolutely no effect or bearing on anybody or their peace of mind in this world outside of the united states, britain and to some little extent canada and australia.
reply to post by randomname

I have to disagree with you on this point, the “War on Terror” is sometimes also called the “Global war on Terror” or even WWIII. To say that its only a American interest or even a western interest is just plane wrong. For example the people of the Middle East know all about the “War on Terror” more than most Americans as it effects them perhaps the most. Then we have the Russians who have their own interests in the “War on Terror” with fighting in Chechnya, the Chinese have the their own problems with the UIghures and there is AQIM, Boko Haram and Al-Shabaab to name but a few on the African continent that’s not taking into account the interests of almost all “western” states in the war on terrorism. So for anyone to assume that the war on terror matters very little to anyone outside of Brittan, America, Canada and Australia is just to display a complete lack of understanding as to the global nature of the “War on Terror”.

Terrorism affects everybody; it probably affects Brittan and America a lot less that it affects other states

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Wouldn't this discussed story be sort of them shooting themselves in the foot?

You mean if our illustrious leaders let Peace break out? Yes, Peace ruled America, government would be small, have no money, and work as volunteers. No Military would be necessary.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
What war?

White House approves broader Yemen drone campaign

The United States has begun launching drone strikes against suspected al-Qaeda operatives in Yemen under new authority approved by President Obama that allows the CIA and the military to fire even when the identity of those who could be killed is not known, U.S. officials said.

www.washingtonpost.com...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join