It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of thousands may lose Internet in July.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Not sure if this is in the right section or not.

tech.ca.msn.com...

WASHINGTON - For computer users, a few mouse clicks could mean the difference between staying online and losing Internet connections this summer.

Unknown to most of them, their problem began when international hackers ran an online advertising scam to take control of infected computers around the world. In a highly unusual response, the FBI set up a safety net months ago using government computers to prevent Internet disruptions for those infected users. But that system is to be shut down.

Didn't something like this happen a few years back? I don't think anything did happen, but it's best to stay informed of threats like this to be safe.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Install malwarebytes, keep it up to date and scan at-least once for now.
If you need a free AV use avast.
If you need a firewall use a linksys router, or if you must Win 7's firewall is fine for now

Lastly stay out of the red light district of the internet and you will be fine.
edit on 4/25/12 by Cyprex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyprex

I use Avast, but I don't currently have Malwarebytes installed. WIll Malwarebyes conflict with Avast?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

No, it won't, using both Avast and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will give you a very effective defense against trojans/virus/malware/etc and doesn't really use much memory resources at all, especially on todays computers that have lots of memory. However, even with Avast and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware I have seen viruses go undetected during a complete scan, but show up being blocked as a trojan horse trying to "call home" on the internet by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. My girlfriends computer had this virus and it all came down to 2 .dll files locking themselves in the User\AppData\Local\Temp directory and injecting themselves into RunDll32 at startup, this was the reason why a scan never picked up on the trojan.

If you're running Windows 7/Vista Your best bet is in my opinion:

Avast Anti-virus or Nod32
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
A Hardware Firewall (the one built into a Linksys Router is good enough, turn it on!)
DO NOT USE Internet Explorer (it has so many unpatched security holes right now it's disgusting) Instead use Firefox along with the Adblock and NoScript plugins.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Agree with above.

Just to add, if you want even another layer of security, you can try Norton DNS (also known as Norton Connect Safe).... just google it, it's free and can help from attacks from harmful sites. I set it up directly into the router, so any computer that connects through my router has the protection. I've been using it for around 6 months now and haven't really had any problems, occasionaly a site will be blocked that shouldn't be, but rarely.

If you like to visit a lot of funky sites and such though, i imagine it could block some.... anyway don't think it will replace a real antivirus and firewall... but it's a good thing to have on top of those.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by elcapitano75

Outstanding dude! Link of the month, I had no idea this service even existed, and it's free! Cheers for the heads up. This is so simple it's kind of silly actually. A simple DNS server that blacklists bad websites, awesome.

Norton ConnectSafe

top topics

join