It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nancy Pelosi: I Wish [Poor] Would Earn More So They Could Pay More [Taxes]

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Perhaps someone should say maybe someone should have made more of an effort to keep the poor from being poor to begin with?
Greed is terrible when looked at in singularity, but when seen as a group endeavor it almost appears to be acceptable??

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by flimzytrek

Really now there has been a major effort since 1935 and there are now more poor than ever.

Personally id rather have 50 million millionaires than to have 50 million on welfare but no wait

the rich are evil.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by LErickson

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I wish I was able to make more money and pay more taxes. What is the problem? You want to make less money?

Me too. I'll gladly pay 90 percent in taxes if i earned a billion a year. I'd gladly pay 50 percent if i earned 100k a year. Still would be doing better than I am now.

Are you really this stupid? We both said we would love to make and have more money. Paying more taxes comes along with that. Believe me, if I were paying 100 grand in taxes I would be thrilled because I would be bringing home way the hell more than I am now. What kind of idiot would rather earn less money?

Where does tax money go?

edit on 23-4-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Republican wars on foreign soil for no reason, time wasted on legislation for men to decide how I use my womb, did I mention wars, unnecessary defense, troops stationed EVERYWHERE, you can go on. So can I.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
The true face of liberalism

Now tell me. Would you take me from what it means to be a Neocon or whatever you are hiding behind these days?
Would you read it and take it as the truth and change your ways or are you just looking to troll the choir here?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Are you really this stupid?

Just had to go there

Republican wars on foreign soil for no reason, time wasted on legislation for men to decide how I use my womb, did I mention wars, unnecessary defense, troops stationed EVERYWHERE, you can go on. So can I.

Democratic wars on foreign soil like Pakistan,Somalia.Yemen.Libya wasting billions of classified tech that is being used too soon like the loss of stealth helicopters and drone and American and foreign nationals assasinations then wasting billion more on green corporations that have all been OBama donars and other corporations like GE i can go on and on but really why bother.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Wow i have yet to see a liberal ever use the term neocon right and troll hey dude that post is trolling because it has nothing to do with the topic being dicussed.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LErickson

4 years into Obama's regime,and its STILL Republican wars.........

My God.......

"I wish they would earn more so they can pay more" Has to be the stupidest thing I have heard ALL year.

I have a better one........

"No taxation without representation"

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Absolutely always the same they can't argue without resorting to the same tried and true Blame Bush/Republicans.

They own the current state of the union since they are in power and hold 2/3 of the Government.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Agree.

Current "real time" History shows who keeps the war machine going.

edit on 24-4-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I alwayse thought payroll taxes were paid by the company you work for and that income taxes are separate.
Growing up Pa wanted to teach me about business and numbers so he would have me double check the payroll taxes as well as other accounting he had to do.
Every time he cut his one employee a check he had to cut a separate check from the business to cover payroll taxes.

Heck that's one of the reasons why the last three jobs I have had list me as a private contractor.
They don't pay payroll taxes, nor do they have to with hold disability, unemployment, or my social security.
Not to mention my income tax, I have to set that aside in my own savings and keep a ledger making sure not to touch it.

How can she say the workers pay the payroll tax?
I'm working and I don't pay it, I only pay state and federal income tax.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Pigraphia

Payroll taxes mostly go to Social Security and Medicare.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

They still come out of the business account not the employee right?

Just checking because it has been forever since Pa retired.

If I'm right I'm just wondering how she could say they pay taxes when it's the company that pays.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Pigraphia

n the United States, payroll taxes are assessed by the federal government, all fifty states, the District of Columbia, and numerous cities. These taxes are imposed on employers and employees and on various compensation bases and are collected and paid to the taxing jurisdiction by the employers. Most jurisdictions imposing payroll taxes require reporting quarterly and annually in most cases, and electronic reporting is generally required for all but small employers.

Federal, state, and local withholding taxes are required in those jurisdictions imposing an income tax. Employers having contact with the jurisdiction must withhold the tax from wages paid to their employees in those jurisdictions.[2] Computation of the amount of tax to withhold is performed by the employer based on representations by the employee regarding his/her tax status on IRS Form W-4.[3] Amounts of income tax so withheld must be paid to the taxing jurisdiction, and are available as refundable tax credits to the employees. Income taxes withheld from payroll are not final taxes, merely prepayments. Employees must still file income tax returns and self assess tax, claiming amounts withheld as payments.[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

Then it goes to ss and medicare and unemployment the do come out of the business account any short comming gets paid at tax time by us.

edit on 24-4-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Thanks, I should have looked up it was just getting late.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Nancy Pelosi: I Wish [Poor] Would Earn More So They Could Pay More [Taxes]

Just had to drop in for a chuckle..

If you have to slice a quote out of context and insert words in brackets.....you might be a partisan propagandist.

The way you molested this qoute is hillarious.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Uh the OP didn't molest anything.

They were following the Terms and Conditions.

That is when starting a thread based on an off site article to quote the title of the article in it's entirety in the thread title.

Learn the rules of the forum before you go accusing a poster of molesting anything.

If you want to take issue, take it with the author of the article.

Which BTW there is nothing wrong with what the author did, it was after all a partisan article.
They were pulling a conclusion from the quote that they thought was there.
Is it any different than when a comedy show misquotes a politician and the whole country believes the quote from the comedy show?
edit on 24-4-2012 by Pigraphia because: Forgot the word title.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pigraphia

That is when starting a thread based on an off site article to quote the title of the article in it's entirety in the thread title.

Yes you are correct...neo did not molest this qoute, his source did..that makes it all better then?...I guess I can thank "Mediate"(s) republishing of the "The Daily Caller" for that then?

Are you familiar with those sources?

Which BTW there is nothing wrong with what the author did, it was after all a partisan article.
They were pulling a conclusion from the quote that they thought was there.
Is it any different than when a comedy show misquotes a politician and the whole country believes the quote from the comedy show?

One is a comedy show...the other is purporting to be News...If you apply equal standards to comedians and journalists, partisanship is the least of your problems.

Full qoute for context.

Q: Madam Leader, earlier today Majority Leader Cantor was talking about tax reform at an event, and one of the things he said was,

“if you have got over 45 percent of the people that don't pay income taxes in the country, the question is should they have something in the game? Should they even have a dollar in the game on income taxes, which is the notion of broadening the base,"

closed quote. What is your reaction to that?

Pelosi: Is he deciding that payroll taxes are not taxes? Is that what I should assume from your question?

Q: He is talking about people who don't pay income taxes, yes.

Pelosi: Well, you know that they do pay taxes. They pay payroll taxes, and this is a tactic that the other side uses to make it sound as if these people are not paying taxes. They are paying taxes. They do have skin in the game, and I think that that should be respected. I wish they would earn more so they can pay more, and that is what we are about, the creation of good paying jobs in our country that contribute to our international competitiveness to keep America number one.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Well the c-span video was there for anyone who bothered to watch it.

C-span is a questionable source now?

edit on 24-4-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Are you familiar with those sources?

One is a comedy show...the other is purporting to be News...If you apply equal standards to comedians and journalists, partisanship is the least of your problems.

I am aware of them, I just don't go to them for my news.
I typically find articles on Fox News then try and find the same news story on MSNBC, or CNN.
I do try to do that with every piece of news I read online going both ways, just depends on which sites article I see first.

I'm not applying equal standards to them, our culture is.
More people get their "news" from The Daily Show, Colbert Report, Weekend news update etc...
I don't think it's right, but it happens.
What's sad is once those comedy shows generate the clip, the public believes it and sometimes(not all the time but sometimes) the rest of the media will run with it as fact.
I was trying to get to the point that our entire country is believing bad info, fake quotes, and quotes taken out of context.
I should have done a better job emphasizing that opinion.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

More people get their "news" from The Daily Show, Colbert Report, Weekend news update etc...
I don't think it's right, but it happens.
What's sad is once those comedy shows generate the clip, the public believes it and sometimes(not all the time but sometimes) the rest of the media will run with it as fact.
I was trying to get to the point that our entire country is believing bad info, fake quotes, and quotes taken out of context.
I should have done a better job emphasizing that opinion.

Sadly agree. Some say it can be traced to the launch of cable television and "Headline News"...until then folks would wait until 5 or 6 O'clock and everybody got thier news from either CBS, ABC or NBC or the Newspapers.

If something big occured, it would have to warrant "interrupting your scheduled broadcast"

Now you can turn on the cable news and EVERY efen thing is a BIG, FLASHY HEADLINE...24 hours a day!!!

News was considered by the networks to be a "public service"....a "loss leader" everyone watched the same News..but advertisers didn't make money off it often because the viewership was too diversified...but the Program that followed the news got a boost...cuz changing the channel required getting up! "Loss-Leader"

After cable television..."News" became a "Profit Center" in and of itself....and if you are going to make profit...then the media execs have to by able to tell corporate marketeers what the demographics are for thier viewers, age, religion, income, politics...AND they have to Deliver a high number of those viewers.

"Public Service" vs. "Profit Center"

So those network "News" shows benefit from high viewership of a predictable demographic...translation...tell the viewers what they want to hear...spin stories..interject bias...make the stories flashy...hook the viewers of a specific demographic and pump up the viewership numbers. Marketeers buying commercial space pay by viewership and the more defined the demographic the better targeting of ads.

Next time you watch MSNBC or FOX News...skip the "News" and just watch the commercials...who buys that stuff? Who are they aiming at? Very different marketing and ads.

Profit Center (Increase Viewership..appeal to a demographic...aka..flash and bias) vs. Public Service (treat the news as a Loss-Leader where the best you can hope for is a bump in viewership of the show that follows the news)

And when we are done bemoaning the passing of real "journalism" and remember that newspapers are dead also..we can ponder what role we the viewer played in the murder of journalism.

I don't even bother with MSNBC or FOX...I usually try to find the actual Bill, Transcript etc. and figure it out for myself.
edit on 24-4-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join