It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon launches Defense Clandestine Service to work alongside CIA overseas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

www.washingtonpost.com... ory.html

By Associated Press, Updated: Monday, April 23, 12:05 PM

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon is rebranding and reorganizing its clandestine spy shop, sending more of its case officers to work alongside CIA officers to gather intelligence in places like China, after a decade of focusing intensely on war zones.

Several hundred case officers will make up the new Defense Clandestine Service. Drawn from the Defense Intelligence Agency, the officers will be sent to beef up U.S. intelligence teams .....
(visit the link for the full news article)

Confounded by the link? (use this one): www.washingtonpost.com...

edit on 23-4-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Now, unless my logic is weak here, it seems that this would indicate that the CIA was in for more than it could handle in it's mandated charter of activities... So much so that the Federal government has spawned a "new" service from the DoD to "augment" the CIA's efforts overseas.

The new effort was described by a senior defense official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the classified program.

Ah.. the ever-present and ubiquitous anonymous "senior defense official" that every major news outlet seems to have access to...

Now here's the deal... the CIA is supposed to provide intelligence for national-level policy-makers about the state of other nations.... but perhaps because the CIA is part of DoD... it seems to prefer sticking to military intelligence gathering....

Defense Department case officers already secretly gather intelligence across the globe on terrorism, weapons of mass destruction and other issues, mostly working out of CIA stations in embassies and operating undercover like their CIA counterparts.

But an internal study by the Director of National Intelligence last year found the agency still focused more on its traditional mission of providing the military with intelligence in war zones, and less on what’s called “national” intelligence — gathering and disseminating information on global issues and sharing that intelligence with other national security agencies, the official said.

So ... rather than redirect the CIA to its original purpose .. political and diplomatic intelligence, they are going to make the DoD's Defense Intelligence Agency do the CIA's job.... rather than have the military deal with military intelligence...

Are we "broken" at the top? What the heck are they thinking?... oh wait, I know.... The CIA is the corporate espionage element of the military industrial complex.... so they need to stay close to that topic...

Or maybe since the Wikileaks scandals, none of the CIA operatives have any clout or trust in the other nations of the world....

Who knows?

The changes were worked out by the top Pentagon intelligence official, Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence Michael Vickers, and his CIA counterpart who heads the National Clandestine Service, and briefed to Congress before Defense Secretary Leon Panetta signed off on the new program last Friday.

Nice that we are told after the "new" money pit has already been dug....

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Several hundred case officers will make up the new Defense Clandestine Service.

Why can't they just create an agency called, "The Agency"

Or do they already have that?

-On a side note. It is getting increasingly difficult for fiction writers to come up with agency names given that almost every possibility is an actual organization in the US.
edit on 23-4-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The have a "No Such Agency" but no "The Agency." Give it time... they'll have agencies and services for everything the middle men can think up.

It's kind of sad that while we fret over economics, international friction, and the state of the human condition,... they have the time, money, and political will to create more fodder for future 'blow-back.'

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

It's kind of sad that while we fret over economics, international friction, and the state of the human condition,... they have the time, money, and political will to create more fodder for future 'blow-back.'

I think you would be hard pressed to find one instance of blowback that hasn't been capitalized on however.

"Mr. Senior Pentagon official, sir, seems we encountered some blowback in (Insert ME country here)"

"Dammit Jim, we caused this!"

"What should we do sir?"

"Blame our former assets, the current regime in the country and ask Washington for more funding."

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
China has intelligence assets in every country on the planet and by far outnumber ours it makes sense to me

there is not enough manpower in this country to compete with the sheer number of them.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Something I'm a little confused about too, is this is basically the pentagon admitting to the world stage that they will be active in subversive operations in other countries, like Iran, China, et al.

Also known as.... Spying!

Defense officials told the Post that what's going on is an increasing convergence of military intelligence and the CIA when it comes to clandestine operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. The tighter relationship has also filtered into U.S. espionage activities involving Iran, China and nations involved in terrorism or nuclear proliferation.

The Post's source said the new clandestine service would "make sure officers are in the right locations to pursue those requirements."

Read more: www.upi.com...

Link

So the focus until now has been primarily war zones, but they need more intel OPs in countries that are classified as war zones as of yet. (My impression?)

I'm not going to be so naive to say no one is spying on each other. As there are UN reports on China's activities in the West, and of course, Russia got nailed recently with the lady sleeper cell, one where the Washington Presidential Cabinet was targeted.

But hold on

Espionage is getting so blatant that there is now an announcement to the world that spies will be infiltrating foreign nations.

Talk about the pretext to cold wars....

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I honestly think we have to many intelligence agencies they prefer quantity over quality that should be stream lined to more effienct organizations but i am not a fan of just sticking our heads in the sand knowing what is going on in the world should be known.

Since technology is the great equalizer via cyber warfare and cyber spying the Cia is analog in a digital world and needs to change with the times or become a victim of them.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Is this simply being announced but always was?

This implies Pentagon never had clandestine services to begin with

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Is this simply being announced but always was?

This implies Pentagon never had clandestine services to begin with

That's a good point.

However, there's a difference now. The DHS has established the procedural structure to facilitate "outsourcing" these activities to "private" contractors as never before. Soon we will find mysterious corporate entities (all incorporated in Delaware - for the anonymity) who will 'take charge' of this 'intelligence gathering' .. and lo and behold, the majority stock holders and CEO's will demonstrate the revolving door which is set up for them, as their "service" makes them 'primed' candidates for "political appointment"...

(side bet: They will bounce in and out of DHS subordinate agencies like fleas.)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Now, unless my logic is weak here, it seems that this would indicate that the CIA was in for more than it could handle in it's mandated charter of activities... So much so that the Federal government has spawned a "new" service from the DoD to "augment" the CIA's efforts overseas.

It's a new EFFORT - not a new SERVICE -

The Pentagon is rebranding and reorganizing its clandestine spy shop, sending more of its case officers to work alongside CIA officers to gather intelligence in places like China, after a decade of focusing intensely on war zones.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Spy vs. Spy

I think some people at the CIA refer to it as "The Agency", so they have that going for them. Meanwhile, why does this remind me of something?

Oh yes. Since the Department of Defense was apparently deemed unable or couldn't be bothered to actually defend the nation, we now have an entirely new cabinet-level Department of Homeland Security. Maybe this is a continuation of that trend of repurposing the DoD away from actual defense.

Sarcasm aside, if such a thing is even possible when speaking of government affairs these days, this is probably an improvement over the previous regime, yet I can't help but wonder just how many different agencies are actually needed to do the same job.

In this case, it seems the driving issue was that the DIA hasn't been enough like the CIA, hence the DCS. Presumably this will be of interest to the NSA, NRO, NGIA, FBI, DHSOIA, DISA, USSOC, ISC, ONI, NSCG, AIA, INR and ISOO as well (yes, these are all actual U.S. intelligence agencies and related organizations).

I guess when it comes to intelligence, the more the merrier.

P.S. Technically this wasn't an official announcement, since it was leaked. Oh wait, that's basically how the U.S. Government announces everything these days. At least, that's according to a senior U.S. official who is not authorized to speak publicly about official public announcements. Why does all this sound more and more like self-parody with each passing day?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Perhaps I put too much stock in this:

Several hundred case officers will make up the new Defense Clandestine Service.

I suppose we could split hairs... but it's still worthy of ridicule in my opinion. More is never enough for them. Fear is their playground.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Ah, human resources and hurt feelings. Probably the number one universal reason for bureaucratic shakeups.

The new service is intended to curb personnel losses, making clandestine work part of the Pentagon’s professional career track and rewarding those who prove successful at operating covertly overseas with further tours and promotions, like their CIA colleagues.

The case officers in the field — some military and some civilian — will answer directly to the top intelligence representative in their post, usually the CIA’s chief of station, in addition to serving their agency back home. The arrangement is likely to curb complaints seen in earlier expansions of the Defense Department’s spy mission, which the CIA and other agencies saw as the military stepping on their territory.

I do remember post-Cold War, when there was brief discussion about having the CIA turn to industrial espionage (since there would be no more work for it...really). I dug this article up from 1994

Company Spies

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It would appear the CIA and Army are having a bit of tug of war over power and jurisdiction.

I wouldn't be surprised if the coming years (or even months) prove out some hot conflicts between the two

www.hrw.org...

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I though this guy with the AP must work for Dai Li of the Chinese secret service.

By Associated Press, Updated: Monday, April 23, 12:05 PM

WASHINGTON —" The Pentagon is rebranding and reorganizing its clandestine spy shop, sending more of its case officers to work alongside CIA officers to gather intelligence in places like China, "

What the heck do you think the chances are of catching them Red handed now??? LOL LOL Sneaky Chinese news men lol

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Thats a lot of words to say Mossad or the IDF

Letting people die in hospitals in the USA all for this thing they call "Defense" when the USA is not under attack sure seems stupid and yeah the jury is still out on 9/11 and who did it.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
What jumps out at me here is the shift in focus regarding location, from "war zones" to "places like China". Our war zones are in places that can't seriously threaten us as a nation. China is a major player.

To me it's an indication that recource depletion has advanced to the point where we're going to ramp up the level of "competition".

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitruvius
To me it's an indication that recource depletion has advanced to the point where we're going to ramp up the level of "competition".

Well no one is going to win least of all "Uncle Sam" who is old and overweight if nukes start to fly.

Factories with no workers don't need much power and people without jobs consume less power and this is why the cost of electricity in the USA has gone down for the power corporations.

In a nutshell americans are no longer needed and i hear that behind every blade of grass you will see a gun so for this reason they won't use conventional weapons to cleans the land and it will be a biological attack the PTB can blame on someone else, anyone else and for that they need to create enemy's to blame such an attack on.

Going along with the 9/11 attack has brought this on plus a police state and maybe the FEMA camps we hear about are going to be used to keep a selected few alive as everyone else gets killed off because americans i don't think would stand by as masses of people were thrown into these camps.

Mad theory but once i thought that all these 9/11 truthers were barking mad until I looked for myself.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitruvius
What jumps out at me here is the shift in focus regarding location, from "war zones" to "places like China". Our war zones are in places that can't seriously threaten us as a nation. China is a major player.

Hi vit,
Well the well must not be completly dry.
Looks like the admin has the bucks to hire babysitters for the S.S. lol
Chaperones assigned to embarrassed Secret Service

new topics

top topics

join